Smoked sirloin roast?

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
Hey all,
Looking to make a Christmas Roast (NY strip sirloin roast) for a Xmas eve party.

Most recipes suggest low and slow in the oven then reverse seared in a cast iron pan but that seems a bit messy and could get smokey inside with guests)…

Is this something I could smoke low and slow then reverse sear over the coals or on the gas grill? Any tips or recipes would be appreciated!

Happy holidays all.

Absolutely! You can use the same temps suggested for the oven in your grill. Then remove from the grill, get the grill nice and hot and put it back on to sear.

Is the sear necessary? I mean, I know people like some crisp but recipes I’ve read about smoking just leave that part out…

I do a beef tenderloin on the gasser every Christmas.

Sear first using a griddle, then roast indirect medium. Comes out great.

Anything you can do in the oven you can do on the gasser.

Is the sear necessary? I mean, I know people like some crisp but recipes I’ve read about smoking just leave that part out…
A larger roasts (strip, small end ribeye) develop a nice crust without a sear, because of the longer grill time . I do always sear a tenderloin over direct and move to indirect to finish, because they are leaner and cook more quickly. When I grill a whole beef strip roast for a party, I split the roast lengthwise, it reduces the cooking time, but carves/portions nicely. Beef for the Holidays - always my first choice!

My top of the list too but, I’m often outvoted by my wife, I get a standing rib roast for my birthday, and sometimes for NYD but, I’m always “encouraged” to do ham for Christmas, I’d like lamb for Easter but, I don’t often get that either.

Have a good porchetta recipe to share?

That looks amazing...I may consider doing this instead of beef. I went online and see some butchers offer a porchetta already stuffed, rolled, and tied but I am having a hard time paying $175+ for a Heritage one.

I see your recipe uses pork belly (as does one I found from Kenji (https://www.seriouseats.com/all-belly-porchetta-recipe-italian-roast-pork) but others (such as this NYT https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017068-porchetta-pork-roast) uses bone-in or boneless pork shoulder. What cut works best for that balance of crispy crackling and zesty italian flavor? Should I smoke v. oven roast? I also have a rotisserie attachment for the kettle...

Thanks for the tips all, much appreciated.

Last edited:
That looks amazing...I may consider doing this instead of beef. I went online and see some butchers offer a porchetta already stuffed, rolled, and tied but I am having a hard time paying $175+ for a Heritage one.

I see your recipe uses pork belly (as does one I found from Kenji (https://www.seriouseats.com/all-belly-porchetta-recipe-italian-roast-pork) but others (such as this NYT https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017068-porchetta-pork-roast) uses bone-in or boneless pork shoulder. What cut works best for that balance of crispy crackling and zesty italian flavor? Should I smoke v. oven roast? I also have a rotisserie attachment for the kettle...

I've done that NYT one but used a picnic roast from the shoulder. Nice layer of rind which when scored makes for some good cracklins.

Brett,
What are the major differences in this recipe and the Kenji one? Is it the same cut (whole pork belly?) and how much would you recommend for about 8 people? Also, how much fat is the fat cap? IE if I have some in the crowd that are not a huge hunk of chewy fat, it this cut OK? Thanks again.

Last edited:
I've done that NYT one but used a picnic roast from the shoulder. Nice layer of rind which when scored makes for some good cracklins.
Was it any good? Some comments mention the flavor is just OK with the exception of the cracklins...And is it a pork butt shoulder or picnic butt in that recipe? Thanks!

the PB is easy and delivers excellent results. i can attest to the results. because each slice is so rich (fat content), you don't need jumbo pieces to feed people and adding sides to it makes it more elegant too.

i personally wouldn't pay $175 for a Heritage one. the costco one worked just fine. and you can see what the cost was pre-trim as i lopped off a piece for size management.

i did mine on my WSK and used rosemary sprigs as my smoke wood for a nice perfume to the rolled PB. that smoke flavor was just enough to enhance the cook. i don't think the PB needs a lot of wood smoke. there's a lot of herbs going on inside the PB roll. those have their own perfume and aroma.

the porchetta delivers a lot of flavor and taste for a really low price, IMO.

you don't need to do too much to make it great. i'd skip the rotisserie. too much work IMO. keep it simple and you'll be just fine. everyone loved the cracklins and the PB was so tender. follow my cook as a guide. i think it's pretty self explanatory and easy to pull off success at your own home.

I used Brett’s recipe and technique with about an eight pound trimmed piece of belly. The only thing I’d adjust is the amount of the paste, I’d double it next time as well as doubling the salsa verde. For service, make PLENTY of both the peppers and sauce! I will be doing that again, for certain. I felt this was superior to the $185 one from Snake River Farms, which, I had to re truss. Take your time when trussing, your patience will be rewarded.
I think we must have been typing at the same time Brett!
I completely agree, don’t bother with the rotisserie, one more thing to clean! Also, make sure you have an adequate drip pan! Mine was just a little shorter than the rolled porchetta, extra cleanup was required!

Attachments

• IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 8
Brad,
What are the major differences in this recipe and the Kenji one? Is it the same cut (whole pork belly?) and how much would you recommend for about 8 people? Also, how much fat is the fat cap? IE if I have some in the crowd that are not a huge hunk of chewy fat, it this cut OK? Thanks again.
the fat will render down, a fair amount. no chewiness per slice. the PB meat become melt in your mouth and the fat gets crackly good. you can mimic my cook, which IIRC was 7# trimmed and seasoned. that's more than enough for 8 people.

I can read through Kenji's and offer some feedback. mine was an aggregation of a lot of reading and trying to recreate my summer in Rome this year. give me a bit and i'll offer up some contrast between Kenji and my cook. I can say that my methods are 100% spot on for making the crispiest skin and a beautiful presentation. i DO NOT LIKE unpierced skin as it become brittle. i prefer the suppleness of the jacquard' skin as I did in my recipe/cook.

and you really should butterfly the PB so you can have two layers of herb rub inside the PB. see my pics as it was easy to butterfly, and keep attached, like a book, the PB so you have a lot of surface area. doing the herb rub on one layer is not enough IMO.

Back