Smoked Pig Belly

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
about a 4 pound slab of pork belly, cured about 11 or twelve days
then, yesterday, I smoked it in the 26" OTG with apple & hickory for smoke flavour.

IMG_6912.JPG

at a dome temp of 150ºF, this slab reached an internal temp of 145ºF in 3 hours.
once done, I sealed it in a large zip-lock type bag and buried it a snow bank outside to cool it.
In the freezer overnight, I took it out and let it sit a few hours.
Just finished slicing it.

IMG_6920.JPG

IMG_6922.JPG

vacuum sealed about twenty slices in each bag...

IMG_6923.JPG

IMG_6924.JPG

IMG_6925.JPG

then smoked out the house sampling it...

IMG_6927.JPG

it is quite good. At $3.09 a pound, pig belly is the way to go for all your bacon needs
smiley_pig.gif

thank you for your time!

that looks great jim. Slice it with a knife or a machine? Where did you purchase such a fine looking belly. I have been trolling some oriental markets but there bellies don't look near as good.

IMG_6920.JPG

This image just brings tears to my eyes :cool: good thing I have these cool shades to hide the evidence. You wouldn't have any evidence of making any bacon if I were there. That right there is just a pic of beauty. It could be the monthly centerfold for PigBoy. I'd have it up on my kitchen wall ;)

Mr.Lampe !!!! I'm awestruck. The pic of the whole finished belly is PosterWorthy.....if you were to flatten/layout a few slices in the foreground...you would have the whole story....and I should love to have a couple of posters. I was going to post a recent BBB do over Christmas and now I only have the advantage of the Butt at $ 1.29 a pound. WOW, you have set the bar....One package looks a little short on the slice count...I can give you my address if you want to send it out. WOW !!

Thank you everyone!

I take it you have a slicer?
Yes, I have a slicer...

Slice it with a knife or a machine? Where did you purchase such a fine looking belly.
Machine David, I get the belly from a local meat processing plant... The pork bellies I've seen at the local oriental joints have a lot to be desired, if you know what I mean... Welcome to the forum!

...could be the monthly centerfold for PigBoy. I'd have it up on my kitchen wall ;)
Geno, you blow my mind:D

One package looks a little short on the slice count...I can give you my address if you want to send it out.
rest assured David... each vacuum sealed bag has AT LEAST 20 slices in it and all are spoken for... sorry dude ;)

Looks like I need to get crackin' makin' more bacon if I want to even stay even with you Jim!
And I need to get crackin' with my photos if I want them to look as great as yours!
Beautiful job on both!!

Back