Smoked Paprika

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Some time back, I made an uneducated dumb comment about paprika is paprika....there isn't much difference. That may be true with year or two old grocery store bought stuff. However, I have been educated in the delights of smoked paprika. It adds sneaky depth of flavor in so many dishes.

If you haven't tried a good smoked paprika, do your self a favor and experiment with it. Good stuff.

Freshness is critical with all spices, but I find it to be especially true with Paprika! I have a love affair with Spanish Chorizo, which relies HEAVILY on paprika, so I'm always on the hunt for good, fresh stuff. Chilquin makes really good smoked, sweet/mild, or hot paprika. What brand of smoked paprika have you used, Steve?

R

I have used multiple sources, one from an old online co. whose politics were shoved in my face. I no longer buy anything from those folks.
At this point do to limited experience, I'd rather not name the others. There are those on this site that have good experience with several purveyors who may comment.
Don't shove your political leanings down my throat...I'll take my business elsewhere.

I understand the dislike of having things shoved in your face and, I have reduced my purchases from that company too.
Some things that they have are worth simply deleting the unwanted emails, easy enough. I really miss their catalog! Now, you have to use the very cumbersome website and I seem to end up calling because the site is such a mess.
Maybe that’s just me but. I think I’m fairly bright, I can walk and chew gum while carrying on a conversation fairly intelligently so, why is that site such a pain for me?
Sorry for the rant.
Yes, their smoked paprika is really good.
I learned a lot about paprika from my brother back when he worked at Kalamazoo spice company but, that’s another story. Interesting but kind of long.

I love sneaking a little smoked paprika into dishes that I know won't be grilled. Of particular fondness for me is homemade salsa. It adds a great smoky element.

I got two foil bags of Szeged sweet and hot from Hungary.
My Son's buddies parents brought some back. Stuff smells amazing, I'm using it on just about anything.:)
Put some on a baked M&C (y)

I understand the dislike of having things shoved in your face and, I have reduced my purchases from that company too.
Some things that they have are worth simply deleting the unwanted emails, easy enough. I really miss their catalog! Now, you have to use the very cumbersome website and I seem to end up calling because the site is such a mess.
Maybe that’s just me but. I think I’m fairly bright, I can walk and chew gum while carrying on a conversation fairly intelligently so, why is that site such a pain for me?
Sorry for the rant.
Yes, their smoked paprika is really good.
I learned a lot about paprika from my brother back when he worked at Kalamazoo spice company but, that’s another story. Interesting but kind of long.
I have no idea what website y’all are talking about which makes me want to know the site even more 🤣 - maybe DM it?

Back