Smoked Chicken enchilada bowls

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
This is a tasty recipe that we make quite often. It can be easily modified for different proteins. I usually make it with chicken breast as that s what my wife likes best. It is good with fish, shrimp, pork and beef too. The usual recipe would use Spanish rice as the base. This time though I used cauliflower rice. If you're looking for low carb this is a great option. It goes together easy however there is some prep involved.

What you'll need:

(4) boneless skinless chicken breasts (or your protein of choice) shrimp is really tasty
Taco seasoning (enough for the chicken and the rice) recipe below

Taco Seasoning ( made a double batch and used most of it)
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1/4 tsp. Dried Oregano
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Sea Salt
1 tsp. Black Pepper (optional)

(2) 14 oz cans of enchilada sauce or your favorite homemade enchilada sauce.
1 can of diced chilies we like Hatch hot
1 head of cauliflower (or enough Spanish rice)
1/4 cup black beans (or your favorite bean0 per bowl
1/4 cup corn per bowl
1/2 sliced avocado per bowl
1/2 sliced Roma tomato per bowl
1 sliced jalapeno per bowl (optional)
Grated cheese, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce. cilantro, olives etc.

Season the chicken liberally with the taco seasoning.
Prep your smoker for a low temp smoke. You want t get smoke on the protein but not fully cook it as you will be braising it to finish. I ran the smoker at 180° and smoked the breasts for 1 hour. While that is happening prep the cauliflower rice.

I use a food processor to make the rice. You can also use the fine side of a box grater. Once you have the rice made stir in 1-2 tablespoons of the taco seasoning. Place into a cast iron skillet or other heavy pan and cook over medium heat. You can use a lid if you like. Cook until the texture is rice like.

Once the protein has been smoking for your desired time, place into a pan that can be covered for braising. Add the two cans of enchilada sauce and the can of chilies. Cover and place back on the smoker and braise until done. I raised the temp t o 300°. It took about 35-45 minutes.

While you are braising the meat prep your toppings. Once the meat is done shred it and mix well with the braising sauce.

To serve place a scoop of the cauliflower rice in a bowl. Add a scoop of the meat and sauce. Top with whatever you like. Enjoy!

52099995497_5c7ab369dc_c.jpg

52101054123_cb541ae625_c.jpg

52099995482_743426d1b8_c.jpg

52099995462_2e033e88af_c.jpg

52101054088_c846d97245_c.jpg

52099995447_262f5b9e1b_c.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah if you want to take it to another level make tortilla bowls that I've posted here:

Glad you linked the tortilla bowls. As soon as I saw the subject line for this thread, I thought about them and the fact that I haven't done 'em in a while.

As always, Case, looks great!!! We like to do burrito/taco bowls here, too, so can add this to the list!

R

Back