SMOKED BBQ CHICKEN

Duc

Finally broke in my WSM 18.5 and smoked a whole chicken last night for dinner. Literally happy with the smoker and the results were great. Used my FIREBOARD 2 DRIVE with FIREBOARD's FAN BLOWER. The thermometer and fan worked great with no problems, went back and forth between 250-275 since I'm still learning how to find that sweet spot with my vents. Not bad for a noob, WSM doesn't make it any simpler to smoke meat. Served with Shoyu Charred Greens and Mushrooms alongside with some Cheddar Scallion Biscuits. Oh, and the BBQ sauce is also housemade as well! Hope ya'll got to smoke or BBQ this past weekend too!

Attachments

• IMG_2273.jpg
    IMG_2273.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2274.jpg
    IMG_2274.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-2283.jpg
    IMG-2283.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2280.jpg
    IMG_2280.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 33
Looks great!

I noticed your comment about using a fan and your vents. Typically if you are using a fan to control the air intake you want all other vents closed with the exception of the top vent (exhaust) which you want wide open. Using my BBQ Guru PartyQ controller I set it to the temp I want (all lower vents closed, lid vent wide open) the pit temp will only swing 1°-3° degrees for hours.

Looks great!

I noticed your comment about using a fan and your vents. Typically if you are using a fan to control the air intake you want all other vents closed with the exception of the top vent (exhaust) which you want wide open. Using my BBQ Guru PartyQ controller I set it to the temp I want (all lower vents closed, lid vent wide open) the pit temp will only swing 1°-3° degrees for hours.
That's good to know Case, thanks for that. I plan on using it again this weekend and will definitely try that and see if I can get a better consistency on the temps from jumping up and down just within a few degrees!

Wow, awesome first cook. Those sides look amazing. I second what Case said. Keep the other bottom vents closed. Personally, I keep my top vent 1/2 or so. At full open, I get some fluctuations, especially if there’s any wind. I use an ATC called the Stoker that is no longer produced.

ATCs control the temp by controlling the amount of oxygen allowed into the cooker. When the cooker is too cold, the ATC blows more oxygen in and the temp starts to climb. When the cooker is too hot the ATC fan is off sealing up the cooker until the oxygen inside is consumed and the temp starts to fall. If you leave the other two vents open, the ATC can’t control the amount of oxygen entering the cooker, and thus can’t control the temp.

Reactions: Duc
Duc,
That is a mean first cook! That bowl of chicken pieces is one heck of a money shot. I look forward to future cooks, what do you have planned next?

• Haha
Wow, awesome first cook. Those sides look amazing. I second what Case said. Keep the other bottom vents closed. Personally, I keep my top vent 1/2 or so. At full open, I get some fluctuations, especially if there’s any wind. I use an ATC called the Stoker that is no longer produced.

ATCs control the temp by controlling the amount of oxygen allowed into the cooker. When the cooker is too cold, the ATC blows more oxygen in and the temp starts to climb. When the cooker is too hot the ATC fan is off sealing up the cooker until the oxygen inside is consumed and the temp starts to fall. If you leave the other two vents open, the ATC can’t control the amount of oxygen entering the cooker, and thus can’t control the temp.
Ahh...thanks for the ATC 101, it definitely helps me better understand how it works. Thanks for the kind words!

Duc,
That is a mean first cook! That bowl of chicken pieces is one heck of a money shot. I look forward to future cooks, what do you have planned next?
Hey Michael, think the next cook will be smoking some Duck breast that the wife requested, she's from Texas and definitely knows her BBQ. Doesn't think we need to dine out for BBQ anymore! lol

Last edited:
Hey Michael, think the next cook will be smoking some Duck breast that the wife requested, she's from Texas and definitely knows here BBQ. Doesn't think we need to dine out for BBQ anymore! lol
Man that is going to be touch to be a new pit master with a wife from Texas, you better keep pumping out q like that first cook. I have never cooked duck, please take pics, I would live to see that cook. ChuckO did did an amazing whole duck on a rotisserie here recently and it was next level.

• Haha
Man that is going to be touch to be a new pit master with a wife from Texas, you better keep pumping out q like that first cook. I have never cooked duck, please take pics, I would live to see that cook. ChuckO did did an amazing whole duck on a rotisserie here recently and it was next level.
Thinking of making a spin-off rendition of Peking Duck, the only difference is that I won't be hanging a whole duck. That would probably be my next R&D cook, would be to smoke a traditional Chinese Peking Duck over some Peachwood chunks on that Hunsaker Hanging Rack that I'm eyeing from them. Definitely be posting more photos soon, especially Thanksgiving around the corner. I'll be posting my Scallion Cheddar Biscuit recipe in Side Dish Recipes section of the forums.

Tonight’s Sichuan Chili Oil Maple Glaze Smoked Duck Legs.

Attachments

• 55551038-17A5-4031-B3FA-668071847077.jpeg
    55551038-17A5-4031-B3FA-668071847077.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1BFFBDC3-CD53-4E40-A4FF-7838FDAC4185.jpeg
    1BFFBDC3-CD53-4E40-A4FF-7838FDAC4185.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 3

Back