Smoked Andouille Sausage

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been planning this cook for weeks and finally got around to it. This is my 4th sausage cook. I was happy with the results, but boy do I have a lot of learning yet to do. Used our KA for the grinding and stuffing and it worked quite adequately, however I do feel if I'm going to continue down this road, which I fully intend to do, I need to upgrade my equipment, particularly for the stuffing. More on that in a later post. Anyway, here are some pictures.

I cut 3 1/2 lbs of pork shoulder and 1 1/2 lbs of pork fat into small chunks.

Grilled around a cup of coarsely chopped onion.

Mixed in the seasonings, the grilled onion and lots of chopped garlic, and Instacure #1.

Ran it through the coarse die on our KA.

Placed the ground mixture in KA Mixer and mixed with 1/2 cup of red wine. Placed mixture in fridge overnight.

Stuffed the casings. One thing I'll do differently next cook is not to stuff them so tight. Had one blow out while stuffing and two more when forming the links. The various lengths of the links was directly related to the blow outs.

Got the WSM fired up the next morning at 6:00 am. Brought it up to 230 using Minion Method. This is the second thing I'll do differently, I'll bring the smoker temp down to around 180 - 190. I was shooting for a 155 IT on the sausages and when I did my first temperature check at 2 1/2 hours the sausages were already around 165. I'd rather cook them more slowly.

On the WSM.

2 1/2 hours later pulled at 165 IT. Put in freezer for 20 minutes or so to stop additional cooking.

Out of freezer.

Last edited:
Those look great Cliff, I've got to give that a try. We have a KA and I've got the meat grinder attachment also. Just have to find a recipe I like and some casings and do it.

WOW!!! Cliff that is awesome and yes we will be trying this real soon. Thanks for sharing.

I'm so jealous. That looks incredible. I shoulda made this when I had an overflow of pork. Not sure I can justify now cause Melinda isnt a huge fan of sausage like that...might have to sneak this one in ;)

Nice work on the Andouille Cliff. I'm this close to getting a KA food grinder to make my own chorizo and seeing how well your Andouille turned out I might just get it now.

Tasty looking sausages! I used my KA for quite some time before buying a dedicated stuffer. So much easier now. Just a tip to along with not over stuffing. I always leave the end of the casing long (end that is still on the stuffer) and I don't tie it until after I form the links. gives you a bit of flexibility to mush the meat down the line as you go. Also works in reverse in case you didn't get enough in the casing you can squish it the other way.

Back