Smoke wood, thoughts on oak?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I generally prefer hickory, something I purchase from Walmart but I'm having a hard time finding it this year. Oak is relatively easy to come by in Florida so may switch. Wondered what your thought on it was vs hickory. It doesn't seem real popular but I'm not sure how available it is across the country but tons of it here. We burn loads of it in fireplaces and outdoor fire pits.

Thx.

Last edited:
I myself dont have experience with oak but i have noticed alot of the restaraunts on tv use oak or a combo with oak. I plan on using some myself so i will watch this thread. I do know oak smells real smooth burning in a fire. I burned some locust from a tree we had cut down and the oak smelled much better.

Texas is post oak territory. I love it. I really enjoy some hickory too. Oak is milder. It seems to burn longer but not as hot. I'm really fond of pecan which seems like a compromise between the two.

I think it depends on the species of oak.
Red oak is a staple smoke/cook wood in CA.
We recently had a large northern red oak fall, and I thought Oh Boy! lots of good wood for smoking.
Research tells me that this is not very good to use, so it's going into our fireplace instead.
Hickory is my number one, followed by apple and other fruit woods.

I usually like to MIX Smoke Woods -

I like Hickory, but in most cases - I think that too much of it makes the meat taste / smell "hammy" (unless this is what you really like)
I usually mix Hickory & Apple in equal parts for pork

I have tried some of the Mr. John Daniels (reference "Scent of a Woman") Oak Chunks made from cut-up pieces of Bourbon Barrel staves.
I use these more for grilling than smoking, but have liked the results (not sure what kind of oak they use)
I've heard that there are places where you can get cut-up chunks of wine barrels, which are usually un-charred French White Oak

I know that a lot of pallettes / skids / crates used in shipping are made from "scrub oak" - maybe this is the stuff that they use in TX for beef?

I've used red oak and quite like it. I usually steal some from my SIL in the fall when she has cords of wood delivered for her wood stove.

Live oak is my go to wood !!!

I had a large load of split live oak delivered for the winter and have used a few pieces. Have been surprised it didn't leave more smoke flavor given how long it was on but now I know, it is more mild than hickory which is what I'm used to. Since I'm having trouble finding hickory and I have loads of live oak, I think I will chunk some of it tomorrow and start using it. The smell is certainly terrific and I like that it isn't too overpowering. Allows me to keep smoke aromas going all day.

Live oak and post oak are quite different, with live oak being about twice as hard and about 50% more dense. Live oak is an evergreen oak (hence the name) and keeps its leaves through the winter, shedding kind of like a dog in springtime. I just cut up a good bit of live oak from storm damage and it is definitely hard. I think it will take a longer time to season than post oak, but when it's fully dried, it will probably burn longer and hotter.

Live oak trees also grow all gnarly and crooked -- you're lucky to get 12" diameter log that's straight for more than about 3'. So it's a PITA to cut and split. Post oak grows straight as a post, so it's much easier to process it for logs/sticks.

For a WSM, I'd think that post oak would be easier to deal with. That said, a lot of restaurants use live oak, probably because they get more BTU from a cord.

I think it depends on the species of oak.
Red oak is a staple smoke/cook wood in CA.
We recently had a large northern red oak fall, and I thought Oh Boy! lots of good wood for smoking.
Research tells me that this is not very good to use, so it's going into our fireplace instead.
Hickory is my number one, followed by apple and other fruit woods.

Yep, I agree with Mr Corell, and it does change from coast to coast or state to state. The Alder I get from the east coast has a different smoke flavor than Alder from the PNW area. ( and you could say the same of all the species )
The Norway Maples in my area our nothing more than weeds, barely suitable for the burn pit.

Tim

Quote For a WSM, I'd think that post oak would be easier to deal with. That said, a lot of restaurants use live oak, probably because they get more BTU from a cord.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff, sound like an arborist, and definitely spot on. In CFL, I get a full pickup truck load delivered, aged and split for $100. Crazy cheap in my view. I use the wood for an outdoor fireplace but if I chunk it, it would be good for grill and wsm, but even chunking that hard wood is a chore.

I like oak for beef. For pork butt I use hickory and apple for ribs I use hickory and cherry for chicken I like hickory or pecan.

Wow, someone said the live oak is hard, you weren't kidding. That stuff was like cutting stone, seriously. I was using dry, split fireplace wood but had to use the chainsaw to cut it into fist size pieces. Only got about a 5 gal bucket full before I gave up but that will last me a good while

Red Oak is a regional favorite in NC, very good with beef and pork. Strong and smokey with a touch of sweet.

I have a cabinet maker buddy who is doing some work using oak, red oak, I believe. Is there any reason it might not be suitable for smoke? I have access to probably as much as I can use in a lifetime if it's worth it.

Wood as used by woodworkers is normally kiln dried. Not best for flavoring your smoked meats, fish, cheese, etc...

This thread reminded me that I had to replenish my stock. Just ordered a few pounds from Fruita

Last edited:
I bought some oak in a bag and I found it gave my food a slight bitter taste. Clearly Franklin et all don't have that problem. Maybe the problem is buying the stuff in a bag.

Here in TN, I use mostly White Oak. I have never experienced the bitter taste that you mentioned, Matt, but it could also be the bagged wood. For me it has left a nice smoke ring and only a complimentary smoke taste. Hickory on the other hand can take over the flavor profile for my liking. I want to bite in and taste BBQ not a camp fire.

Back