Smoke fire Holiday special

Kevin L (NKY)

TVWBB Diamond Member
I got a email as many of you I guess also got saying that Weber is giving 200.00 for the purchase of a Smoke fire plus free shipping. Sale starts 11/30/2020.
They are making it hard to say no to this grill.

The July 4 sale got me. I know how you feel. I suspect that the hardware mods are over so Gen 2 already has them installed. You don't have to do that. The software has a ways to go but I'm delighted with the smoke I get at 400 degrees and the flavor the SF imparts to the meat. I won't try to blow smoke up your skirt and say the SmokeFire is perfect. It's not but it grills and smokes with the best of them. Expect a software glitch here and there and just go with it. I haven't lost one cook with mine. Once you learn how to run it and think about what you're doing it will reward you.

Now that you've owned one for a while .................... the EX4 or the EX6 ? I'm thinking 24" width serves all my needs, or at least, what I would want from a pellet smoker.

Now that you've owned one for a while .................... the EX4 or the EX6 ? I'm thinking 24" width serves all my needs, or at least, what I would want from a pellet smoker.
I don't have a SmokeFire, during the first wave of them I got turned off by all the hassles people were having and went with a 24" Camp Chef
Just recently I did a whole slab of bacon and a pork roast for Canadian bacon and still had room for more. It's plenty big for anything I want to do.
Plus I'm sure it uses a little less in pellets vs. a 36.
It's at least twice as much as I can fit on my Weber gasser.

Last edited:
I don't have a SmokeFire, during the first wave of them I got turned off by all the hassles people were having and went with a 24" Camp Chef
Just recently I did a whole slab of bacon and a pork roast for Canadian bacon and still had room for more. It's plenty big for anything I want to do.
Plus I'm sure it uses a little less in pellets vs. a 36.
It's at least twice as much as I can fit on my Weber gasser.
And that Camp Chef from Amazon still looks like the deal.

The main thing keeping me from adding a pellet grill is the lack of a good (safe) heavier duty outlet for our deck.
I need a son, or son-in-law, to fix that for me because I'm electricity challenged, other than changing lightbulbs.

And that Camp Chef from Amazon still looks like the deal.
The one I have is listed below Lynn. I've had it just about a year now and it's been faultless. Seems to be temperature wise spot on. It will go down to 165 which is great for making Bob's jerky
If you're looking for remote access it's not the one for you, that is something I didn't need, I monitor mine with a Maverick soon to be a Thermo Smoke I've been told by Santa's helper Barb.
It's an Amazon exclusive and it must be pretty popular because a few times it's been out of stock.
Hope that helps.
With that said I would love to have a SmokeFire gen 2 but it has a lot of things I would never us, hell I still have a flip phone. At almost half the price I'm very happy with my choice.

Amazon.com : Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro Slide Smoker with Fold Down Front Shelf Wood Pellet Grill, Pack of 1, Black : Garden & Outdoor

Last edited:
For me , it boils down to smoke flavor ............... charcoal/chunk vrs pellets .

I could put a Signal with a Bellow on my 18" WSM and get " set and forget " with Wifi.

I've got an offset stick burner for brisket and pork butt and a Kettle for grilling.

But I've got a Spirit 3 gasser and a 26 Kettle that's not getting much use ( in fact, the gasser is getting no use ) and I'd like to turn them into a set and forget cooker.

So its charcoal/chunk on the WSM vrs a pellet grill.

Lynn, because in the pre covid era I would sometimes cook burgers for 25 I went with the EX6 but would be just as happy with the EX4. It's really more grill than I need but I'm very happy with it. In my experience the SmokeFire puts out much better smoke than my Rec Tec or Camp Chef. The Camp Chef with their latest controller may do better but I don't have their new controller. For $800 I don't see a better "do it all grill" than the EX4. I cooked a 14 lb. spatchcoked Turkey at 400° yesterday and even the dripping had good smoke flavor. My family loves the taste of food it produces. On the negative side, the software is still very much a work in progress so you will have glitches.

With all the trouble I've had with my EX6 I still highly recommend them. The flavor of the food it produces is fantastic. About 85% of my cooks are only for 2 people but I am still glad I got the larger grill.

The main thing keeping me from adding a pellet grill is the lack of a good (safe) heavier duty outlet for our deck.
I need a son, or son-in-law, to fix that for me because I'm electricity challenged, other than changing lightbulbs.
Bob, FWIW. I run mine off a 25 ft. extension cord plugged into a 15 amp circuit in my garage. 15 amps is a standard home circuit.

Lynn, because in the pre covid era I would sometimes cook burgers for 25 I went with the EX6 but would be just as happy with the EX4. It's really more grill than I need but I'm very happy with it. In my experience the SmokeFire puts out much better smoke than my Rec Tec or Camp Chef. The Camp Chef with their latest controller may do better but I don't have their new controller. For $800 I don't see a better "do it all grill" than the EX4. I cooked a 14 lb. spatchcoked Turkey at 400° yesterday and even the dripping had good smoke flavor. My family loves the taste of food it produces. On the negative side, the software is still very much a work in progress so you will have glitches.

Why would the smoke flavor differ between cookers ? Would that not be a product of the pellets used ? Rec Tec has a good reputation. Also higher priced.

Do not almost all of these pellet grills have the fire pot in the middle ? I see some with a stack to one side, which doesn't make sense to me if the fire pot is in the middle. I like how Weber moves the air out across the back.

Lynn, as best I can tell the difference in smoke production is in the controller. That's one area where the Weber software works right. Generating smoke at higher temp is where the SmokeFire excels. I'm talking about increased smoke flavor not tastier smoke. Flavor closer to what my WSM produced. I am a big fan of Camp Chef and Rec Tec but I see and taste the difference in smoke output. I'm talking about using Pit Boss Competition pellets in both as the comparison. I put a Rec Tec WIFI controller in my 6 yr. old Camp Chef and it's a great low and slow smoker. If that controller dies I'll replace it with the new CC controller.

I agree with Lew my 18.5 WSM had a stronger smoke flavor, the camp chef being more mild which both Barb and I like more of the lighter fruit wood tastes.
The PG24MZG has a high smoke 165 and high smoke 225 setting. I've only used it once on HS165 when making Bob's jerky recipe and the smoke flavor was much more than on the regular setting. Whether it was as strong as the WSM I can't say.
So what Lew says it's in the controller is probably true. But at those two temperatures you do have that option of more smoke on the camp chef.
Like Lew said I run mine on a 25 foot outdoor extension cord with no issues.

The one I have is listed below Lynn. I've had it just about a year now and it's been faultless. Seems to be temperature wise spot on. It will go down to 165 which is great for making Bob's jerky
If you're looking for remote access it's not the one for you, that is something I didn't need, I monitor mine with a Maverick soon to be a Thermo Smoke I've been told by Santa's helper Barb.
It's an Amazon exclusive and it must be pretty popular because a few times it's been out of stock.
Hope that helps.
With that said I would love to have a SmokeFire gen 2 but it has a lot of things I would never us, hell I still have a flip phone. At almost half the price I'm very happy with my choice.

Amazon.com : Camp Chef PG24MZG SmokePro Slide Smoker with Fold Down Front Shelf Wood Pellet Grill, Pack of 1, Black : Garden & Outdoor
Your going to love the Thermoworks Smoke!!

Your going to love the Thermoworks Smoke!!
I hope so, I've wanted to upgrade from my Maverick, not that there is any thing wrong with it. If I put the grill temp probe on the upper rack where the tip of the CC grill probe is it stays + - 2-3 degrees of the CC temp, but it's at least 5-6 years old and has a lot of mileage on it. So I'll keep it as a back up or if I need to monitor a second grill.

I hope so, I've wanted to upgrade from my Maverick, not that there is any thing wrong with it. If I put the grill temp probe on the upper rack where the tip of the CC grill probe is it stays + - 2-3 degrees of the CC temp, but it's at least 5-6 years old and has a lot of mileage on it. So I'll keep it as a back up or if I need to monitor a second grill.

So the WiFi just provides remote access, meaning I could adjust the cooking temp of the smoker on the patio, from where I'm sitting right now about 20 ft away?

If so, I don't need that either. All I need to do is monitor.

Does the Camp Chef have probe ports for the Smoke ?

So the WiFi just provides remote access, meaning I could adjust the cooking temp of the smoker on the patio, from where I'm sitting right now about 20 ft away?

If so, I don't need that either. All I need to do is monitor.

Does the Camp Chef have probe ports for the Smoke ?
It's funny the CC has ports and comes with two probes and I've had the CC for a year and never used them. The probe ports will display on the control panel of the CC only. So to the best of my knowledge the ports are only an input to the control panel of the CC there isn't any output ports for remote monitoring.
That's why I went with a portable monitor so I can use it on any of my five grills.
Hope that makes sense.

It's funny the CC has ports and comes with two probes and I've had the CC for a year and never used them. The probe ports will display on the control panel of the CC only. So to the best of my knowledge the ports are only an input to the control panel of the CC there isn't any output ports for remote monitoring.
That's why I went with a portable monitor so I can use it on any of my five grills.
Hope that makes sense.

So there's an opening to run your Thermoworks cables into the cook chamber ? Even if there wasn't , should not be hard to make one.

So there's an opening to run your Thermoworks cables into the cook chamber ? Even if there wasn't , should not be hard to make one.
Yes, there is an probe opening with a sliding cover on the left side where the control panel is above the left shelf.

Back