Smaller grates please

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
I've got a WSM 22 and love it. Is it big, you bet. Does it use a lot of fuel, you bet but I do like to do a single chicken from time to time or one rack of ribs or a side of salmon, etc. I'd like your thoughts or suggestions for using smaller grates if possible. How would someone retrofit for using smaller grates while still being able to use the larger ones. Problem is the the grates on the 22 are great. 😁 Has anybody developed a method for using smaller grates, I.e. ones that will fit in the dishwasher? Sure hope so. Thank you.

I put my grates in the dishwashe every two or three weeks, between that I just brush them off while hot. You have to remove the upper rack in the dishwasher and put them in diagonally, it’s a tight fit but it works for me. And I only do grates and other stainless grill stuff, extender grates, my drip n griddle pans etc, no fancy glasses or china at the same time.

The whole thing doesn’t make sense to me though.
I clean my grates after every smoke in the WSM 14. They fit into my sink and get a super clean and a light oil and back into storage in the outdoor shed ready for the next use. I do not clean my SS grates for my 22 in Kettle beyond a great scrap and oil after a cook. I feel like the high heat of the Kettle keeps those grates able to be scrapped to clean. But the lower temps use to cook on the WSM, I don't think those grates are just OK to be scrapped and then move on. This is one of the reasons I love the WSM 14 and one of the many reasons I have not upgraded to at WSM 18 or 22. The ability to manage those grates in the sink (the can also fit in the dishwasher) is a great thing to me.

I was thinking 14 WSM.
If you have a 22" kettle w/ gourmet grate use it and just clean the center section. Just an idea.
I think both of these are great ideas/options!

I've got a WSM 22 and love it. Is it big, you bet. Does it use a lot of fuel, you bet but I do like to do a single chicken from time to time or one rack of ribs or a side of salmon, etc. I'd like your thoughts or suggestions for using smaller grates if possible. How would someone retrofit for using smaller grates while still being able to use the larger ones. Problem is the the grates on the 22 are great. 😁 Has anybody developed a method for using smaller grates, I.e. ones that will fit in the dishwasher? Sure hope so. Thank you.
I think Colin has given two really great options. The first thing that came to my head was to add the WSM 14 for those smaller cooks. Much less fuel and as I shared above, I love the ability to clean them in the house. But I think Colin's second idea of the GBS is brilliant!

Another thought would be if you have a Kettle when you fire it up to move your WSM grates over to the kettle to burn and scrap clan them.

My last idea is to add the Aura kettle zone cooking system and use the bottom portion of the base to place a smaller grate. I have this unit (I got it for about half the price it is at now) and love it in my kettle. It would be a price option, but I will check tonight and get back to you to see if my grates for the WSM 14 fit in that lower level of the base unit. I am pretty sure my 14 in grates will fit on there and I am 99.9% sure that an 18 in grate would work. Now the Aura System and a new grate would be as much if not more than finding a used WSM 14, but I do think it would be an option.

Been using one of these for years fits a couple of 22" grates. Set it on the counter next to the kitchen sink. Soak the grates overnight, clean in the morning. pull the plug let it drain into the sink, rinse ,dry, hang it up in the garage. Don't have to clean the sink or worry about the grates scratching the sink.

Been using one of these for years fits a couple of 22" grates. Set it on the counter next to the kitchen sink. Soak the grates overnight, clean in the morning. pull the plug let it drain into the sink, rinse ,dry, hang it up in the garage. Don't have to clean the sink or worry about the grates scratching the sink.

I use the aluminum one of those that my BIL made up for me. This is an interesting thread, but, it’s the volume of air to be heated that is the costly part, it’s going to take as much fuel as a bigger cook, for a single chicken? I’d use something else, darned near anything else.
The GBS is sheer genius, but, I use mine all the time on the kettle of course.the other thing you could do is use a rotisserie with a pan underneath.D3FDE124-A136-4D84-8524-24F457F818A7.jpeg
Using latent heat, I’m cheap, this is on my 18”

Last edited:
I feel like the high heat of the Kettle keeps those grates able to be scrapped to clean. But the lower temps use to cook on the WSM, I don't think those grates are just OK to be scrapped and then move on.
What is your concern about the WSM grates? Are you concerned about food safety or aesthetics? Unless you're doing something very out of the ordinary, no microbes are going to survive a typical cook. The temperature is going to be hot enough for long enough to kill all microbes.

Easiest clean up is get a hanging rib rack and hooks. Remove the grates and water pan and hang everything. Hooks are easily washed in the dishwasher and grates are never soiled that way. I hang everything I can.

Manual dishwashers have a space concern, there is no upper rack to remove, it’s our sheer elbow grease that gets the grates clean, the water heater pan is a huge help but, if I didn’t have some outside space to use it in, my 1935 kitchen space proves a different challenge. Even doing the updates that I have I do not have room for an automatic dishwasher.
Long chats with plumbers regarding it and they don’t like the “best option” regarding placement.
I haven’t killed anyone yet so, I’m living life by the drop. Thanks SRV!

Thanks Rich. That just might be the alternative solution I've been looking for.

Yeah, I soak my grates. I only have a 14 so it’s pretty easy. When I had an 18, those grates fit flat in my utility sink. If I had a 22, I’d get a pan like the ones shown. Then use a scotch brite sponge and they clean up real nice after a few hours soak.

I would never heat galvanized and try to clean something in the water jmo. I use a small electric pressure washer to clean the grates on my smokers and grills to get the most off then a little dawn finishes them up

Back