Slicing knife recommendation please

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
A decent slicing knife for beef that wont break the bank. I actually like the style that the barbecue pit boys use that almost looks like a old pirates knife Lol. Doesn't have to be like that though if you have a different style recommendation. Thanks for your help

+1 to Tim's recommendation. I've got the Dexter Russell 12" granton slicer, and it's just what the (brisket) doctor ordered! :)

R

Thanks. I will look at costco next time im there. Does anybody use an electric knife for cutting up briskets and roasts? I wonder if that would be a good alternative?

Use an elec knife for cuttting ribs apart. Doesn't tear the bark like some "manual" knives are wont to do.

Another vote for the 12 inch Granton slicer from Dexter Russell, or any of the other similar suppliers. By no means is it fine cutlery but it's inexpensive and does the job well.

A granton blade knife has a row of indentations ground into each side of the blade. This supposedly creates pockets of air, which prevent food from sticking to the blade and creates less friction for easier slicing. I have such a knife and don't see much difference from any other knife in terms of slicing...so my granton blade knife sits in the back of draw unused.

By the way, the "pirate knife" you mentioned in your OP is a cimeter, which is good for breaking down large cuts of meat. I have had this one for many years:

Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Curved Cimeter Knife, Black Fibrox Handle

You can never have enough knives! :D

I used to use an electric knife, but I recently bought a Victorinox 12 Inch Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife with Granton Blade. It was a Cooks Illustrated recommendation for slicing knife.

It is about $59, but well worth it to me. I love it and much prefer it to the electric.

The Victorinox goods are really a great value, if you think about how many years you will use a good knife the initial cost is nothing! I've got knives that were my fathers and use them daily. A fifty dollar knife and a steel to maintain it will last you a lifetime.
I also agree with Chris, "You can never have enough knives!"

The Victorinox goods are really a great value, if you think about how many years you will use a good knife the initial cost is nothing! I've got knives that were my fathers and use them daily. A fifty dollar knife and a steel to maintain it will last you a lifetime.
I also agree with Chris, "You can never have enough knives!"

That, I do have, and I also have several ceramic coffee mugs for sharpening stones. :)

I've never liked the ceramic mug or plate sharpening, I usually get my brother to do some of mine when he gets the water sharpener set up to do his own.
Short of that, there's a sewing machine shop that will do most blades for three or four bucks. Once they are really filed in, I can keep the edges dressed nicely using the steel every time.
I've taught my Grand daughter the basics:
Use,
Wash,
Dry,
Put back in the block!
For myself, I add,
Dress the edge with the steel before putting away.
My Dad did it that way and I have some pretty old knives that have and hold a good edge using that method. Dad was smart.

I just picked up an"Old Hickory" giant, breaking knife. The thing has an edge like a five pound axe! I will get that improved one of these days, I have a 12" Forschner chefs knife that makes pretty short work of a brisket. I got lucky with that one, close out when NSF decided that wood was bad. I think it was about fifteen bucks from a restaurant supply in Athens Georgia.

Last edited:
I have a flat ceramic moonstone that works with, or without, oil, but I seldom use it. I guess I need to dig it out and polish up some knife edges.

Back