Skyline Almost Done

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Skyline is about 90% complete, all that’s left to do is new mahogany stained cedar slats and redo the hood logo. That will happen a little later into the fall. It’s still way to hot in the garage!

The grill was in amazing condition for its age I’m guessing 19-21 years old. Absolutely no rust and it came apart like it was assembled yesterday.

I was going to make a patio queen out of it but to do that it would have to be uncovered and the Arizona sun would make short work of that beautiful lid.
So it will be in-service with the rest of the crew, but getting some special attention to make sure it stays purdy.

Special thanks to my wife and forum partner Barb for helping me get it done she spent hours out in the hot garage with me.
She cleaned the lid and cleaned the big grease tray and the shelf and flip up. Lots of time with a razor scrapper

44384605872_4833572a5a_z.jpg
[/url]100_3650 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

29496155667_9f74752f6f_z.jpg
[/url]100_3644 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

29496154327_92cfa49ddf_z.jpg
[/url]100_3645 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44384603712_48de1174a9_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6464 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44384605002_48b2618abd_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6462 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

43716510474_0b869c3ce0_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6531 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

44384602542_f9a96ccca5_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN6529 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thanks for looking..

Very nice. I haven't started on my Skyline. I just finished my current rehab and I want to do my Silver C before the season ends. I have a lot of committments in September so I probably wont get much done on it until October. Then I figure I can try to finish the Skyline before the end of the month. Otherwise, I will have to store it out back during the winter under a tarp.

My grill looks almost identical to yours except I think it has the newer propane connector. I also have a regular durawood style handle. The data sticker on it was completely blank, so I don't think I will ever know for sure. But, I think the Durawood Genesis 1000's were mostly made from about 1996 to 2000.

I just realized that you do indeed have a newer propane connector on the grill.

I think you posted in another thread about that handle. Is that a stock handle or is that some kind of modification. I have never seen anything like that on a weber grill before.

I think you posted in another thread about that handle. Is that a stock handle or is that some kind of modification. I have never seen anything like that on a weber grill before.

Bruce,
That is an original Weber accessory. It is pretty old and uses ‘C’ batteries in the handle! It actually lights fairly well, but I wonder if you could update with LED bulbs if you were so inclined.

I used the same accessory for my Skyline using one that I picked up years ago from our Thrift Store. It so happens I obtained another after that which I still have in the box.

vglk3q.jpg

16axphj.jpg

I am not sure how it would look on, say, a redhead grill, but I think it is a perfect fit for the Skyline.

Last edited:
Oh yah, I didn't even notice that red logo. That is sharp.

Did you do that yourself? How did you do it?

You’re killin’ me guys!
Now I have a serious case of the hots for a Skyline!
Rich, you are the worst enabler I’ve had help from!
Didn’t score the performer, could not fine the address! Bogus seller maybe.

Oh yah, I didn't even notice that red logo. That is sharp.

Did you do that yourself? How did you do it?

Bruce,

I did the normal cleanup, black spray paint and sand off of the raised parts. Then I hand painted the kettle red and the lettering and outline white. It was just modeling in paint, so it may not work for long. In the future, I doubt I will try to paint the white part (although I think it goes great with the Skyline hood). I will try spraying high heat red into a Dixie cup and then brush that on just the kettle.

Bruce,

I did the normal cleanup, black spray paint and sand off of the raised parts. Then I hand painted the kettle red and the lettering and outline white. It was just modeling in paint, so it may not work for long. In the future, I doubt I will try to paint the white part (although I think it goes great with the Skyline hood). I will try spraying high heat red into a Dixie cup and then brush that on just the kettle.

That's interesting my kettle is on the left and yours is on the right on the logo.

That's interesting my kettle is on the left and yours is on the right on the logo.

Earlier models the kettle is on the left, latter models its on the right, I don't know the year they changed, maybe someone else might chime in.

Oh, so you painted the lettering and outline in white??? I though that was just the bare aluminum color that looked white.

I have a partial can of red HH Rusto paint but it is matte. I also have some rusto HH clear that will make it gloss. I may try that on my Skyline when I get to it. But I am not a very good artist, so I am not holding out high hopes. I would leave the lettering and border bare aluminum.

Oh, so you painted the lettering and outline in white??? I though that was just the bare aluminum color that looked white.

I have a partial can of red HH Rusto paint but it is matte. I also have some rusto HH clear that will make it gloss. I may try that on my Skyline when I get to it. But I am not a very good artist, so I am not holding out high hopes. I would leave the lettering and border bare aluminum.

Bruce,
Yeah, painting the kettle logo red isn’t as difficult. Painting the letters and outline white was a lot harder, and despite many touch ups, it is still less than perfect. On any other grill I don’t think it would make much difference to leave it bare aluminum, and certainly that would easier to maintain. I just wanted to match the Weber logo and tie in with the white design on the Skyline hood.

It does pop on a redhead, though. This was before I touched up the white some more. You can see how difficult it is to get a sharp line:

1zlx9tv.jpg

Jon

Back