Silver C Project

Whenever I had a pin stuck I would first spray some PB Blaster then let it soak for about 5 mins. then heat up the area with a torch then took out the pin...so far that has worked every time.

Whenever I had a pin stuck I would first spray some PB Blaster then let it soak for about 5 mins. then heat up the area with a torch then took out the pin...so far that has worked every time.

Sam tried everything no choice but to cut it there should be enough room on the bolt side to use a hacksaw gently then I think it may come out with a punch hoping anyway.

There is no need to cut them. Use a small C clamp and a small socket (as in socket wrench) maybe a 10mm or a 3/8" one. Get a small C clamp and another "good" pin. Brace against the area where the pin is stuck, use the clamp behind the socket and put the good pin on the area on the other side and tighten the clamp. It will gently push out the stuck pin. Apply some light heat to the aluminum NOT the pin and they'll come out. No grinding, hammering, swearing. Sooooo much easier than anything else

There is no need to cut them. Use a small C clamp and a small socket (as in socket wrench) maybe a 10mm or a 3/8" one. Get a small C clamp and another "good" pin. Brace against the area where the pin is stuck, use the clamp behind the socket and put the good pin on the area on the other side and tighten the clamp. It will gently push out the stuck pin. Apply some light heat to the aluminum NOT the pin and they'll come out. No grinding, hammering, swearing. Sooooo much easier than anything else

Thanks Larry will give that a shot.

It's like pressing out a ball joint for those of us who have done a lot of automotive work LOL

I did a lot of those, some were real bugger snots to get out. Same with king pins on straight axles ( I'm giving away my age aren't I)

Larry that was a really good idea but mine was to shot tried it would not budge but I did have some success tonight I was able to get the pin to move enough so that I could get my hacksaw between the end caps and firebox so used my hacksaw to cut it out there very careful at the end cause did not want the blade to score the end cap. Got the lid off the head side came right out. Now I can spray with PB on the end cap and tap it out that way instead of trying to force it the other way. Let everybody know how it works out.

Actually what I was thinking is take the end caps off then take vise grips to whats left of the pin and twist it out might be safer than tapping it.

Last edited:
Yes Rich you are. Funny I remember those things too LOL.
Brian B I have never seen a pin stuck THAT badly. I have had to use PBlaster, and or a little heat but never one stuck so badly it could not be pressed out

Quick question on the 1000 the bolt on the firebox has a nut on the inside on the Silver it looks like its just a screw or is there a nut that just deteriorated on the inside of the firebox.

Thanks Bruce there might be a bit of a nub on it where I can grab it with some vice grips we will see trying to go at it tomorrow. Not going to spend a lot of effort on this one damn hood has the dreaded fade, still need to drill out the hinge pin may become a parts grill. I have an 1100 got for free will start a thread on it can use the new tank scale on the 1100 also the grease tray drip rails were gone on the 1100 which I knew but they look good on the Silver hoping they are the same as what goes on the 1100 so can use those there.

For 30 bucks propane tank and cover the parts I can move over to the 1100 I look at it as I am pretty much ahead of the game. The tank scale is 20 from Weber, rails are about 7 bucks then add shipping I am okay. The small drip pan is the aluminum one very good shape may use the caliper paint see how that comes out. The one on the 1100 is in good shape just some touch up on a few of the edges that have rusted.

It will probably twist off if you try to remove it with a wrench.

Nope the pin will not budge use vice grips on it won't move. Gonna soak it down with PB hit it with the torch and hope it comes out but not sure that is going to work either but again will give it a shot tomorrow. Might get lucky on the 1100 that nut is intact on the firebox already soaking with PB will try to break that loose tomorrow.

Remember don't hit the pin with the torch. Concentrate the flame on the aluminum NOT the pin. If you heat the pin it will tighten further if you heat the aluminum it will expand quickly and release it's grip on the pin

This is kind of funny this is the nightmare grill so its for parts getting the bolt out of the firebox has been a nightmare also drilled it from one side now I got to cut it off inside and drill it there will not move and this has become a parts grill maybe. So I am looking at the burners look in good shape and they are stainless did the magnet test.

Well good thing is they must have been replaced looking at the crossover when I first got it did not see any holes facing the inside of the grill figured maybe just clogged but tonight ran my fingers under the crossover and I feel the holes so they are facing down know nothing about the silvers but that does not seem possible they would not face to the inside of the grill the owners must have installed them incorrectly.

Yah, I can't imagine having the burner tube holes facing down is the correct orientation.

So I had tossed the firebox on the C it was warped and in the end not comfortable putting the work into it and selling it nor keeping it. So at work my old boss who lives in a large subdivision since he knows I am starting to rehab these loves my 1000 sees one out on the street the neighbor. He texts him shows it to me and some scavenger had already taken a few things off it but left the bars which were only 3 years old and the firebox is good and its free has the drop down table. tank scale and manifold I think picking it up tomorrow raining all day here.

So firebox problem solved.

Back