Silver C Project

Brian B Atlanta

TVWBB Gold Member
I picked this up for $30 came with a spare propane tank and a Weber cover I got some questions though so let me post the before pictures here.

NykBA12.jpg

NykBA12.jpg

rClzOpK.jpg

mjkuMME.jpg

1nXlg8Q.jpg

Ww1uneX.jpg

So the flavorizer bars and grates shot so no worry use the qulimetal grates get a new set of bars. The burners look good crossover in good shape so just clean those up.

The end cap lids look very good there is a worn section on the left side in the back but thinking I might just clean these up and repaint attempting to save the texture should no be to noticeable in that section with no texture.

But take a look at the bulge on the right side where the firebox meets the control panel is that normal for a Silver firebox its about dead center where the middle flavorizer bar is does not seem to effect anything its just strange.

Side Burner appears to be in really good shape not used that much I assume but there is a plastic hinge pin missing on the burner cover looks like plastic the one on the left is there one on the right is missing anyone know what size those are?

Needs new casters no big deal and a propane regulator and crazy where the handle is the bolts are there but no nuts you can pull them right out so got to get some of those.

Last edited:
The fire box is damaged pretty badly. That grill had a fire in it that was just short of a total melt down and burn through. Frankly I would be looking for a donor

The fire box is damaged pretty badly. That grill had a fire in it that was just short of a total melt down and burn through. Frankly I would be looking for a donor

Larry, could I not just leave it, the firebox front to back and side to side is pretty true I already put the new grates in to make sure they would sit okay and they do maybe 3/16 longer front to back in the middles but no issues with them falling thru or anything. The bulge as you can see is just where it meets the control panel.

Brian,

I am definitely no metals expert. I am sure Larry knows a whole lot more than me. My personal opinion is that if the lid closes fine and the grates sit level that you could certainly keep using this grill - a pretty decent pickup for only $30:D!

Is the firebox as tough and durable as a new totally straight one? No.

Would this grill survive as well if there is another thermonuclear event? Definitely no.

But if used within normal temperatures and maintained properly I don't see why you can't keep using it. Someday if you fall into another firebox you can swap out the next time the grill needs a total redo - or if issues do occur. Meanwhile, I would just enjoy.

Only my non-metallurgical opinion, so take it for just that:rolleyes:.

Yah, if you are keeping it for your own use, I would keep the fire box as long as the lid, bars and grates fit well. I have seen that same bulge on a number of my rehab grills. Some worse than others, but other than one of them, I never ditched the cook box due to the bulge.

As larry said, it clearly had a bad grease fire in it and was close to a melt down. However, the fire is long gone and the area of the bulge should not be any more prone to melting or bulging as long as you keep normal temps. That being said, Silver B/C fire boxes are pretty easy to come by and you might keep your eyes open for a donor grill that someone is simply looking to get rid of before winter. If you are looking to get it cleaned up and fixed up, and fired up, then keep the fire box and don't look back.

You got a good deal for the grill. Enjoy and make sure you post some pictures once you get it fixed up.

IF selling it I would be leery. That area has become more brittle and weakened by the heat. Aluminum castings behave weird once they've been damaged like that. The bulge like that was caused by far more concentrated heat than if the firebox simply warps a little measured front to back. Me? I don't know if I would want than liability on my hands of selling it. Also be aware of where the flavorizer bars sit that when the aluminum expands they don't fall in either. Not telling you what to do only suggestion what I would do

IF selling it I would be leery. That area has become more brittle and weakened by the heat. Aluminum castings behave weird once they've been damaged like that. The bulge like that was caused by far more concentrated heat than if the firebox simply warps a little measured front to back. Me? I don't know if I would want than liability on my hands of selling it. Also be aware of where the flavorizer bars sit that when the aluminum expands they don't fall in either. Not telling you what to do only suggestion what I would do

Larry good advice I am not selling this one gonna make it a keeper the only flavorizer bar that you would need to keep an eye on is the middle one and it still appears to be fine we will see when I fire it up but think it will be okay. My wife likes this one go figure she like the side burner which I have not been a great fan of but she said good you can fry your oysters in your pot outside use a small pot with oil to keep the stink out of the house. I assume that burner will get a small cooking pot with oil in it to 375 degrees I hope anyway. She does not eat them I love them used to do them on my beer burner but this would be more convenient.

I mostly used the side burner for frying. Keeps the splattering oil out of the kitchen.

Yup Jason that is probably what I will use it for the most. I have a small deep fryer but it still requires way to much oil for my needs then you end up dumping it anyway after using it for oysters not really good for anything else.

What are you guys doing that you smell it or you think it stinks? I fry (mostly chicken) in the house a lot and there is rarely any lingering aroma. Though I do use my (true) exhaust fan ove my stove. I specify "true" because I have it vented through the roof as I don't like recirculating ones

“Recirculating exhaust fan” I just find the very concept ludicrous!
The side burner for frying is why I want one too, I don’t find I need to use the five gallon vat turkey fryer economical for the quick batch of fries, shrimp, oysters, nice piece of cod etc.
I don’t seem to have a hard time with “fishy “ aroma, I started lighting a large (unscented) candle and as long as I clean up right away, I don’t have any problem but, I’m not doing large quantities either.

I have one of those propane turkey fryers in the garage. If I want to oil fry something, I can always use that...in the garage or driveway.

Back