Shrimp Ceviche and Baja Style Shrimp Coctail

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Not a single coal or a grill in sight for this meal, just I thought I would share this meal if some of you are looking for something light and refreshing since we are in the hot summer months of the year. I does go great with grilled fish tacos and a cold beer or Michelada is almost required to eat this. ;)

Last night I made ceviche using two lbs shrimp cooked any size you prefer, I used 51-60 and cut them in half, Diced small I used 3 stalks celery, 3 jalapeno, 2 cucumbers with seeds removed, 4 tomatoes, a bunch of cilantro, med onion, 14 oz can tomato sauce, juice of 4 limes, spalsh of cider vinegar, like red wine vinegar better but didn't have any and salt and oregano to taste

Then for lunch served the ceviche on a tostada and added a little Tapatio sauce. For the shrimp cocktail just added some ceviche in a glass, added Clamato juice, diced avocado and a bunch of Tapatio sauce and served with tortilla chips.

Pass the chips please! Ceviche looks awesome John. I was thinking of making some this weekend myself, now I definitely have a hankering for some after seeing your pics. I usually use bay shrimp and ketchup (don't cringe) thinned with tomato juice in mine. I like that you use tomato sauce and clamato so I will try that. Thanks for sharing!

Nice! Is this something that has to sit for awhile to "cook" the shrimp or can it be eaten immediately?

Looks great John. My wife is from Peru, ceviche is very popular there. I am going to have to try this. It's 100 degrees everyday down here, hotter around the grill. This looks like a great alternative.

If you cook it in just lime juice you need to let it set. I used to make it that way, now I just boil the shrimp.

I boil them too. I'm here to vouch for John's recipe, as if he needs it :) I've made it at least 6 times following his recipe, after he was kind enough to help after seeing my attempts.

Thanks again John! I thought about making it last weekend...... very soon.

John that looks outstanding! And Tapatio is definitely a great sauce. That and La Victoria are my faves.

Back