Should I buy even with the condition of the top

I'm about ready to purchase an old school Weber I think its a Genesis contrary to the ad claiming it's a 3 burner Spirit.

Anyway, the top of the shroud has some discoloration. I'm going to take a look tonight, but wondering by glance if you think it will buff out?
Weber_zpsitkpvid3.jpg

Last edited:
Really can't tell from the picture, but it looks like it might have had a real hot grease fire or something that got it hot enough to discolor it. Be very careful if you get it because if it had a real hot fire the tub may be warped. Make sure it sits straight in the frame and the lid closes correctly.

I have purchased two older Genesis (and given two free) and just for your info I am not sure I would even take it for free. The top is a mess and the swing table appears missing. I would agree with Rich that it has seen a very hot fire and may be warped. These grills come available on a regular basis and you should be able to get a real nice one for $50 to $75.

That's what I thought. Thank you.

The more I think about it, it looks like someone took the time to repair the wood, and clean everything else, why wouldn't they have fixed the top of the lid?

I don't think there is a fix for the lid. It is some kind of ceramic coating and can't really be painted. People with chips paint the chip area but I don't think you could successfully paint the entire hood. It needs a new lid.

You won't be able to fix the lid, mine came like that and Weber said there was nothing I could do.

But...if you like the longer cart, and it's solid, and the price is right, and the rest of it looks good you could pick up this one and just bide your time till something with a decent lid pops up, then just swap the lids. I keep pretty close tabs on whats for sale in southeastern New England and we don't see many 2000 or 3000's at all (I believe that's a 2100 but correct me if I'm wrong).

Ditto on what Kevin said. My current project is a Genny Gold B. I am using a Redhead top that my neighbor had at the curb for trash pickup. If it's a good deal for the workable parts, you can turn it into something nice.

I do like the size of this grill.

The ad is asking $65.00. It needs the flavorizer bars, and from the pictures the burner tubes should be changed as well. I think I'm going to wait for a different one.

I do like the size of this grill.

The ad is asking $65.00. It needs the flavorizer bars, and from the pictures the burner tubes should be changed as well. I think I'm going to wait for a different one.

Good decision! I have rebuilt 4 of these Genesis grills and it is a very rewarding experience. Just by the picture my experience says no way on that one! A nice one will come along eventually and you will be glad you waited. Dan

Last edited:
I'd get it. My 3000 has a lid that looks similar (not as bad) and I can guarantee it's never had a grease fire, since we've had it since new. The discoloration was caused by years of sitting outside without a cover, and water would pool on the top, and over time the enamel wore thin. I bet if you took it to an auto body shop they could shoot it with a high-temp enamel paint and it would be just fine.

If mine was worse, I'd do it an let you know, but it's really not bad enough to justify it. Sits under a cover, under a covered patio, and will do so for the rest of it's days now.

Honestly I don't believe that discoloration is from being outside. My Genesis has been outside almost all the time with no cover for well over 20 years, my Summit outside only covered in winter for ever since I've had it (early 2000's) IIRC. And neither looks like this. I also have an extra sky blue lid for the Summit sitting outside next to my house. Doesn't look like that. That porcelain is damaged...................badly. Either from a huge fire or from some dummy sanding it thinking it can be repainted. If it had a fire that bad I'll lay odds there is damage to the fire box too

If the frame is solid, I'd point out the issues to the seller and offer $25. The wood appears to be in better than average condition, so you could always drop in another firebox and lid. I'm admittedly partial to the stretched-out Gennys....

Back