Should I add a gas grill to my fleet?

Kyle TX

TVWBB Member
I have a natural gas line hook up in my garage. I am debating on picking up a gas weber for ease of use. I have always been a charcoal guy. Those that have both, what's the flavor difference between the 2? Mainly thinking of getting it for convenience.

We have two gas grills one NG and one LP. For us it's a due to the ban on charcoal use in the summer due to the fire danger. We also have two charcoal and one pellet grill. We do use the NG grill also as an oven during the summer to keep the heat out of the house.
I do prefer the flavor of charcoal cooked food over the gas. But the convenience of the gas for quick cooks is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I have both, and gas has it's place for fast hot dog and burger cooks, great for veggies, and fish, and also when you are doing a large cook for over flow. yes both have place for deep, smoke flavor charcoal IMO. enjoy what ever you cook.

Not having a gasser in my house just would not work as my wife does alot of grilling. My job is firing up the Performer or the UDS she would not have a clue nor the desire to learn to be honest.

I like most food better over charcoal but I don't bother with steaks that way. Easier to fire up the Silver C, 4 minutes on one side 3 on the other olive oil, salt and pepper only. I get a good sear on them so no complaints. Doing a pork tenderloin, wings or whatever I use the Performer I am retired so the extra time to get going for those cooks is not a problem. However its been cold here lately so the gasser has been carrying the load.

+1 for convenience and for rotisserie on an East west grill like a Silver B.

I use mine for quick cooks.

I also use it in summer as my outdoor oven to keep the heat outside.

I have both. When cooking massive amounts for family and guests, nothing beats gas for the quantities you can cook and the heat consistency from on batch of food to the next. When cooking for fewer people, I prefer coal but gas is still sometimes less time and attention consuming.

I have a Weber Spirit and a Akorn Kamado. The Akorn is outstanding for BBQ pork and really just about anything else but it takes awhile to come up to temperature and can easily exceed your desired temperature quickly. The taste from cooking or smoking on lump charcoal can't be beat..
However...there's a lot to be said for instantly lighting the Weber and being able to cook in 10 minutes or less any time of year in any weather. Plus a smoker box works quite well in a gasser.

If you are a cheap charcoal and lighter fluid kind of guy, then the gas might be right up your alley. If you are more serious with your cooking, you might be disappointed with gas. Diminishing returns on the extra cooker anyway, and you will meet all the downsides of gas - spiders, parts, etc.

I think most here would admit that charcoal cooked food tastes better. Certain foods make a more noticeable difference. The longer it cooks, the more noticeable the flavor difference between charcoal vs. gas.

I love charcoal, but reality has me doing a lot of gas grilling. One partial fix is to put a smoker tube (or box) under your grates (except real cast iron where the heat will burn off your seasoning). I am not saying it is the same, but for a relatively easy addition, you get better results and make your neighbors wish they had an invite!

Kyle, I would also give a pellet grill some serious consideration.

Interestingly, my wife does NOT like charcoal or even pellet grill cooking. She likes the plain results of gas. So, I don't even get to use my smoker tube that often. When I have time, I still prefer to use my CharQ, PK or Weber kettles.

I have both, and use both. Contrary to what many think, neither is "better"; they're just different.

Smoke (charcoal) adds another flavor to food, but sometimes I might not want that flavor. There are times when I want to taste more of the meat and its spices, but with the unique flavor profile that comes from cooking over a flame. (I actually prefer my steaks seared on the gasser, rather than getting a smoke flavor over charcoal.) That's why I think there's a place for both.

Around here, we're under fire restrictions during the summer (no solid fuels allowed.) During that time I have to use the gasser exclusively. If I didn't have one, I wouldn't get any grilled or BBQd food — during the time of year when everyone expects it!

Even when I'm using a charcoal grill, I usually have a gas grill going. For instance, last night I was doing a Huli-Huli rotisserie chicken. While it was cooking on the kettle, I was using one of the gas grills (a Broilmaster) to cook up some cauliflower steaks. Even if I don't actually cook on it, I'll have a gas grill set up with one burner on low and a Pyrex baking dish on the rack. The dish stays warm but not hot, which gives me a place to put food coming off the grill without it getting cold or cooking more. When I'm cooking in the middle of winter, that's important.

Gas and charcoal are complementary; I honestly wouldn't want to be without either.

I have a natural gas line hook up in my garage. I am debating on picking up a gas weber for ease of use. I have always been a charcoal guy. Those that have both, what's the flavor difference between the 2? Mainly thinking of getting it for convenience.
I was thinking about this a few minutes ago why does someone have a gas line in their garage? To me does not seem like a good idea so curious to why its in there to begin with, certainly not trying to be rude just interested.

Maybe just answered my own question was that for a gas water heater?

My Summit S670 has had no action since buying my E6 charcoal grill.

I love gas for its ease of use and ability to cook a massive amount of food, quickly and easily.

Personally, lump coal on the E6 tastes superior to anything coming off the gasser. And the additional 10 mins to get the coal grill ready for cook is a no brainer as I'll choose flavor over speed just about every time.

A gasser takes 10 mins to heat up to cook temp. The E6 takes 10 mins for the coals to become white hot and then 10 mins more once i place the grilling rack atop the coals for the grates to heat up.

So for 10 more minutes, food just tastes better.

I still like my gasser but am considering selling it this spring/summer. When I build my bbq island, hopefully this summer, i'll do a drop in gasser but smaller than my S670's size.

There's no real comparison on the food produced on a gasser versus coal. My tastebuds prefer lump coal over everything. I'll use briqs as a backup plan. But I do see the value of a gasser, but haven't taken the time to use it because lump is so easy to use these days.

YMMV. Do what's best for you and your family. There is no correct answer, I think....

Yeah, I have a gas line in my garage for hot water. Some houses have Laundry hookups in the garage and a Gas Dryer is really nice too.

Back