Seeking Handgun Insight

Status
Not open for further replies.

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
From what I read in the forum rules, this topic is permissible but please help keep me on track to what is my true objective here so that I don't drift to unwelcome territory.

I don't own any firearm but I have a growing interest in purchasing a handgun that will be kept in the home for protection. If this is possible and sensible, I think I'd like to hone-in on three possible choices and then go to a shop to see them. For a reason that didn't come by any intelligent means, I'm currently interested in the HK P30 despite its price tag.

Can you gun experts help me a little, including offering a couple other choices to consider? Can you also make recommendations on how to store this properly and safely, while having quick access to it if needed? This would include my wife.

I prefer not watching a multitude of YouTube videos but I did watch one that spoke of an LEM option on the P30. Can you tell me what LEM would bring to me along with any other options that should be considered?

Thanks!

well a couple things you need to decide first. First is are you comfortable handling a semi-auto? Many are not due to a number of different reasons. I own and carry them but only because for that use they're more practical.
In the home though a revolver might be your best choice. Because of it's simplicity and intrinsic safety. It can be left in your safe loaded indefinitely with no ill effects on springs or such. Also no need to think about external safety, etc. They're also the easiest thing to use.
Then decide on a caliber.
The whole semi auto thing is weird too. I can use one "decently" but not nearly as well as a simple revolver. The movement of the slide is bothersome to me.
But in a semi auto there are a couple made to be easy to operate and have lighter recoil. Might look into something like that. Models exist in that genre by Smith & Wesson and Ruger

Personally, I like my neighbors, and they're well within over-penetration distance. For that reason alone, I wouldn't use pretty much any center-fire weapons. I'd consider a 12 gauge pump shotgun, with an appropriate shot size and probably a wide open choke (much larger dispersal pattern.)

*ANYBODY* with access to your firearms needs to be trained, and practice, with them. No training, no access. Should be a very hard and fast rule, in my opinion. Nobody else should even know they exist.

Lessee..... other possible tricks. Keep a baseball bat handy, but with a sock slipped over the business end. First attempt to grab it and take it away from you will probably fail.

Probably most important: remember that you're thinking about drawing down on another human being. If you think that you may have issues with that, then I'd politely suggest that maybe this is the wrong course of action.

Can you gun experts help me a little, including offering a couple other choices to consider? Can you also make recommendations on how to store this properly and safely, while having quick access to it if needed? This would include my wife.

I do not consider myself anywhere close to being an expert, but I will share some of my thoughts.

1. Training: whatever you chose get trained and stay trained and practice. Put this in your budget along with ammo to train with.
2. Access to and preventing access. Surprising an intruder armed with your gun would suck. Having it stolen would suck. How quickly do you need access?
3. Have you considered a shotgun?

I would start with #1 and look for a range that has concealed carry training. Ask if there are options to train with one before you buy. Include your wife in the training as her hands may not grip a handgun the same as yours.

go to your local range that rents handguns and shoot a few different kinds. find one that feels comfortable in your hands and that with training, you'd be able to control.

a .45 has amazing stopping/takedown power. but it's not easy to handle.

a 9mm can be very easy to handle but does it have the stopping power you'd like? how good of a shot are you to place your shot on target and in center of mass?

a .38 is even easier to handle and inexpensive to own (cost of ammo). but it may not have enough stopping power for you.

owning any firearm requires responsibility. you have a grandson. kids like to play. you MUST secure your arms at all times as you will own all outcomes of firearm ownership.

and then you have the ownership portion of owning a firearm. small and inexpensive safes are easily stolen. can you deal with your safe being stolen and your firearm being used to commit a crime?

there are no easy answers here. you have to find the right firearm that you feel comfortable owning and becoming proficient in. and then you need to secure it in a way your comfortable accessing it when in need.

idk if you live in a single story or multi story home. there's lots of variables here. i recommend you do do some research and think this through so you are comfortable with your end to end solution.

and then ask yourself, are you okay taking another person's life if need be? some people say they are until they're faced with such decision.

when you draw a firearm you must be 100% resolved to use it and deal with the consequences of pulling the trigger.

if you'd like to "feel" one out, i fully enjoy this one: https://www.sigsauer.com/sp2022-nitron-carry-size.html

and if you want a different flavor, this, in either compact or regular: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19-gen5-fs-us

if you want to feel "power" in a hand held cannon, then this is worth demoing if you can. you've been warned tho. it's a lot of power: https://ruger.com/products/sr1911Standard/specSheets/6700.html

the compact G19 is very easy to maneuver. and it's very consistent. i personally prefer the Sig. it just feels better in my hand.

Last edited:
Agree with JKalchik. I've been around firearms all my life and for personal defense for portability I have the most butt ugly semi- automatic, a Rugar P95DC 9mm. It's heavy, ugly and as reliable as a brick with a 15 round clip. That to me is the most important thing, reliability besides training and practice and more practice.
For home defense I have a 12 gauge pump shotgun. I can assure you that someone hearing a shotgun racking a shell in the dark of the night will put the fear of sudden death in anyone's mind. And with a shotgun it will keep all of the damage inside. Also, close counts with a shotgun.
As stated above will you have the ability to take a persons life when the time comes, you won't have a lot of time to ponder that decision.

Last edited:
A lot of very good advice has already been posted. Not much I can add, that being said I am a fan of a revolver for the reasons previously stated. I personally like the Tarus Judge that supports both 410 gage shotgun rounds and/or 45 caliber rounds.

I'm a retired NJ State cop, toughest police academy in the country...bar none...well, LAPD ran a good show for decades....not so much now.
Google: toughest police academy in the country if you question my statement plus many years on the job experience in the general Jersey City/Elizabeth NJ, NJ waterfront experience. That's about all I'll get into here, now.
I'm quite experienced in most firearms but more importantly when to use them. Shooting is the easy part...knowing when is not anything any of these Weber BBQ experts can help you with...because their knowledge comes from Youtube or Google or TV shows. I promise you, it's not like that.
Mine comes from real word experience as a State cop in an urban environment.
Here it is: Question yourself...handgun? Why?
I always recommend a pump shotgun...for the standard home. You can get a Maverick 88 12 guage for under $250.
If a handgun is your undeniable intent...a .357 4" revolver with .38 hollowpoints. loads(dependent on state of residence). You can always move to .357. Revolvers are straightforward...pistols less so.
Most importantly...learn about the use of deadly force...it's serious business. Fact: I have provided you real world advice. The rest are guys that think they know what they're talking about and have never carried a gun for a living. It's serious business but done right, you'll be fine.
Feel free to PM me for any questions you may have.

Last edited:
go to your local range that rents handguns and shoot a few different kinds. find one that feels comfortable in your hands and that with training, you'd be able to control.

a .45 has amazing stopping/takedown power. but it's not easy to handle.

a 9mm can be very easy to handle but does it have the stopping power you'd like? how good of a shot are you to place your shot on target and in center of mass?

a .38 is even easier to handle and inexpensive to own (cost of ammo). but it may not have enough stopping power for you.

owning any firearm requires responsibility. you have a grandson. kids like to play. you MUST secure your arms at all times as you will own all outcomes of firearm ownership.

and then you have the ownership portion of owning a firearm. small and inexpensive safes are easily stolen. can you deal with your safe being stolen and your firearm being used to commit a crime?

there are no easy answers here. you have to find the right firearm that you feel comfortable owning and becoming proficient in. and then you need to secure it in a way your comfortable accessing it when in need.

idk if you live in a single story or multi story home. there's lots of variables here. i recommend you do do some research and think this through so you are comfortable with your end to end solution.

and then ask yourself, are you okay taking another person's life if need be? some people say they are until they're faced with such decision.

when you draw a firearm you must be 100% resolved to use it and deal with the consequences of pulling the trigger.

if you'd like to "feel" one out, i fully enjoy this one: https://www.sigsauer.com/sp2022-nitron-carry-size.html

and if you want a different flavor, this, in either compact or regular: https://us.glock.com/en/pistols/g19-gen5-fs-us

the compact G19 is very easy to maneuver. and it's very consistent. i personally prefer the Sig. it just feels better in my hand.
You are clueless. Stick to insurance...and as such, have someone that knows true, comprehensive risk management answer such internet questions...thank me later.

Jay D.... and some of bbq'ers were trained by the US Armed Forces. Navy was mine. Later, did volunteer work for our city's PD. Had free access to our range. Also received recognition training at the range where scenarios were presented with innocent figures holding items while interspersed with armed figures. Had to recognize the difference and level of threat before unholstering. Myself. 870TC grade, full choke.

Jay D.... and some of bbq'ers were trained by the US Armed Forces. Navy was mine. Later, did volunteer work for our city's PD. Had free access to our range. Also received recognition training at the range where scenarios were presented with innocent figures holding items while interspersed with armed figures. Had to recognize the difference and level of threat before unholstering. Myself. 870TC grade, full choke.
Respect, Sir. Not comparable, current real world experience.
Range is range. Streets are reality but my sense is the OP is a civilian 100% .

Former police officer and current NRA Shotgun and Pistol instructor. I have way more than my fair share of firearms and am an accomplished shooter with all of them. I agree with @Jay D in Jersey. Your best bet for home defense is a reliable pump shotgun. My home defense gun is a Winchester 1200 Stainless Marine Defender.

Jay D also gjves good advice about a revolver over a pistol. My experience is that people who start with and can shoot revolvers well can also shoot semi-automatic pistols well. The opposite, however, is not usually true.

HK are great firearms, maybe a little overly complicated. It is a hammer-fired pistol, which I prefer over striker-fired ones, however my carry gun is a Sig P320 X Carry compact because I like the modularity of the Sig.

Whatever handgun you choose, take a gun safety class that teaches both how to use the firearm and the laws concerning firearm use in a deadly force situation in your state. Consider taking home defense courses and practical shooting courses. Then practice, practice, practice and practice some some more until it’s use is second nature.

The HK LEM (law enforcement module) has no safety or decocker. This is not ideal for new shooters. It does have a long first pull, similar to a revolver, but a short pull after the first round or if the is slide racked before shooting the first round, activating the hammer to a release position. Since it’s a hammer fired pistol you can decock the hammer using your thumb. It’s a LEM, because it’s mostly law enforcement related. It’s made to be hard to shoot accidently and easy to shoot purposefully. I personally, would choose the safety and decocker.
If I were you, I’d go to the best range near me that rents a variety of firearms and see if you can rent and shoot the ones you’re interested in buying. Since this is an expensive pistol, you want to make absolutely sure it’s what you really want.

Last edited:
To be honest, Pop Pop needs to seek out professional consult with Local Law Enforcement. They will give advice with respect to what “Professional“ shooting help to seek out. There are way too many ways thing can go sideways. I’ve known champion competition shooters who were also LEO’s who were very clear about the difference between paper punching and self defense.
Fletch, seek out “smart” shooters (LEO’s, instructors, etc.) CERTIFIED, instructor, not some guy that just has a lot of guns and shoots bottles.
That said, I LOVE plinking, serious shooting (possibly taking another life) is a completely different thing.
Home defense? Shotgun makes more sense but, I’m not going out and getting the Remington that I’d really like either.
Practice weapon in .22 is a cheap way to BEGIN to understand semiautomatic feel with less recoil and a LOT less ammunition cost. Ruger 22/45 is laid out from a feel standpoint very much like “many” larger caliber pistols,
Lots to consider, I agree. Keep me informed as you can.

Last edited:
For handgun storage with access by you and your wife, I would go with a bedside safe with mechanical buttons rather than biometric, electronic or rotary locks. Fort Knox makes a good one. It also allows you to enter your code before bed and turn the knob clockwise without opening the box. Then, if needed, you can quickly open the safe for access.

I prefer to not have a safety on my handguns.
I prefer a safety, although I have pistols without them. I think of them like firearms. Better to have it and not need it than to not have it at all. The safety doesn’t have to be in the ”safe” position when carrying. I just like the idea of being able make the gun safe if needed.

You can ask 100 different experts and you will get as many different responses. Home defense is a relatively vague term as well, not to mention what your state laws are. You also mentioned a spouse that will be using the same gun. Honestly there's no be all, but some are better then others and some are better for the person behind the trigger then others. I have a few options to be honest depending on the situation. For inside defense my rtg I have a 9.5"SBR 300 BLK with rail light and micro dot that's also suppressed. I have an extremely tight house and for me this is best for my situation. SBS is another good option IMO, but I went the other route in case I need a medium range option that was close range at the onset. My wife has no issue shooting any of my AR platform guns, but she doesn't like handguns or shotguns. It made it an easy choice for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back