Seasoned my new weber kettle 22" master touch today -- couple questions

JasonWilliams-CA

Hey everyone!
After a very busy work week, I finally was able to season my new 22" weber kettle.
I had a lot of fun and learned a few things. Very cool experience to actually do it (light the chimney, pour in the charcoal) compared to watching a video.

I did some research on how to season my kettle and I basically did the following.
Rubbed down the inside of the kettle (including the grates and baskets) with canola oil.
I then let it cook for about 90 minutes, maybe a bit longer.

I have some questions I was hoping to run by the members in hopes of some feedback.
I filled up my chimney a bit over 3/4 full. I wanted to add some extra charcoal to learn, but I also wanted to learn how to use the dampers for temp control.
I had both dampers wide open to get some heat going. The temperature probably peaked on the builtin gauge to 450. My thinking was, if it was able to get pretty hot, it would burn off stuff from the factory.

After it was running for about 40 minutes, I noticed a interesting smell. I cannot put a finger on it, but as a new charcoal grill owner, I was not familiar with it.
I thought it could be:

-new grill smell from the manufacture, being "cooked off"?
-maybe the charcoal itself (i used B&B briquettes, oak).
-something else?

I had some question regarding the charcoal briquettes. When the cook started to wind down, I noticed some of the briquettes still had some dark color and were not completely ashy/gray. I am guessing they did not fully burn all the way? What should I do with the briquettes that are still in the charcoal basket?
I also started to wonder, at some point, I would probably need to add some more briquettes during the cooking process to keep the fuel going. I have a feeling; experience will help me with that. Are they any rules of thumbs to knowing when to add more briquettes?

My first cook is this afternoon (I am on the way to the store to buy some thighs) and very excited.
I knew going into this, there would be a learning curve. I am ok with that. I think it is part of the enjoyable experience of actually learning how to BBQ.

Really appreciate the help and feedback!

Cheers,

Jason

Personally I think the best thing about using a Weber is there aren't any rules. I would suggest that any leftover charcoal have the ashes knocked off and pour some more clean new ones on top that's what I do all the time especially when you're doing things like steaks and thighs and dogs or whatever things to cook fast and easy to do. It saves on the bank account I don't know about odors it could have been just the burning off of the oil you used. The best way to know how your kettles going to work and respond it's just being used it don't go out and buy a 5 lb crib roast and cook it for the first time my small things cook them first thighs is a good start so we're burners even make tons of different kinds of same with dogs or sausages then you get an idea where the hot spots are going to be in how to control the temperature etc. It doesn't take long to learn at all you'll get it down fast

One of the ways I like to cook the most is indirect and if you're using the charcoal baskets it's real easy to do you should explore that as well. Just have fun

One rule I follow is to always use Fresh Charcoal for all my Weber Cooks. Over these many years I almost always stick with the “Kingsford” Brand charcoal.

Attachments

• 48B7D26D-6E37-4754-BA34-5ECAF935FB44.jpeg
    48B7D26D-6E37-4754-BA34-5ECAF935FB44.jpeg
    214.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 5D6BBADC-366C-4034-8DA3-7DCCA5E661E6.jpeg
    5D6BBADC-366C-4034-8DA3-7DCCA5E661E6.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 523D500A-44AB-4A30-909E-8F9BA79AC729.jpeg
    523D500A-44AB-4A30-909E-8F9BA79AC729.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I use B&B charcoal in my WSM. It does have a different odor than Kingsford and I found it doesn't light as easily but it burns hot and lasts a long time. I typically use Kingsford in the kettle bur lately I've been using one of the Royal Oak varieties. Before each cook I use sweep out the ash and use a plastic paint scrapper to push out whatever the sweeps don't catch.

I usually start with a chimney 1/4-1/3 full with new charcoal and the rest is old charcoal. I can easily get at least an hour with that mixture.

I suggest you get practice direct and indirect cooking. I added an elevated grate to put opposite the coals. I like to cook chicken and pork chops this way with a chunk of apple or peach wood for a smokey flavor. I like to cook pork tenderloin by putting charcoal baskets on the sides with the meat in between. Add a foil tray to collect drippings.

Finally, use a marker and mark the ash catcher where the sweep lever is 1/4, 1/2, and open. You'll need those marks for temperature control. I find myself often at the 1/4 open position.20220823_174639.jpg

I would say there is no reason to “season” a kettle. It’s coated in porcelain enamel…seasoning is for cast iron or bare metal. So completely unnecessary.

My initial burn in on all my grills is load up the big chimney, get it piping hot, dump and leave all vents wide open with the cooking grate on. Ready to rock and roll after that.

Enjoy and let’s see the new toy!

Welcome! You picked well getting a 22” Master Touch for your first grill. You’ll hone in your skills with each cook. That is why I find it so fun plus I don’t think you can beat the flavor of burger/steaks cooked over charcoal. You’ll learn a lot from folks on this forum. Grilling with a beer in hand is my therapy.

I also use my leftover coal from previous cook in the chimney and then add new coals until a little over 3/4 full for a 22”. That lasts more than long enough to cook a several steaks and veggies directly on grates like zuchini (really good and simple sliced long ways 1cm thick sprinkled with garlic salt on both sides). I always put hot embers on back 1/2 of grill to direct cook with lid open to get a good sear and grate marks. I keep the front 1/2 empty and close lid to finish food with indirect cook, keep warm, or melt cheese on burgers. Best to keep top vent over food no matter which side it’s on to direct heat and smoke over food. Close all the vents when finished cooking to snuff as soon as possible to save coals (and money) for next cook.

To clean… After hot coals are spread out and grate heated up, I quickly scrape and brush grate before and after each cook. That way, the grate stays pretty shiny clean for cooking (but not new looking) with the cooked oils from food helping to prevent food sticking and rust. Using a sharpie to mark the relation of your ash sweep to vent hole opening on ash catcher is super helpful. I mark mine closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, open.

I think the smell is either from the seasoning oil burning off as mentioned above or likely from the type of charcoal. You can’t go wrong with Kingsford Original or Pro Briquettes. I’ve also had very good luck with inexpensive charcoal from German grocery LIDL which is the closest of the off brands to Kingsford I’ve tried so far. However, this year I loaded up with Kingsford Pro due to good price and I think it produces slightly less ash and smoke. For lump charcoal, the best I’ve used so far is Jealous Devil XL. It’s fun trying different charcoal to see the minor differences in cooking. I find most of the cheaper coals I’ve tried have been noticeably more smoky but get the job done.

Last edited:
Just be careful about your grill brush.
My wife was one of the unfortunate ones to swallow a piece of metal from a wire brush. We were lucky but it could have been serious. I now use a plastic brush and clean my grate before heating.

Personally I think the best thing about using a Weber is there aren't any rules. I would suggest that any leftover charcoal have the ashes knocked off and pour some more clean new ones on top that's what I do all the time especially when you're doing things like steaks and thighs and dogs or whatever things to cook fast and easy to do. It saves on the bank account I don't know about odors it could have been just the burning off of the oil you used. The best way to know how your kettles going to work and respond it's just being used it don't go out and buy a 5 lb crib roast and cook it for the first time my small things cook them first thighs is a good start so we're burners even make tons of different kinds of same with dogs or sausages then you get an idea where the hot spots are going to be in how to control the temperature etc. It doesn't take long to learn at all you'll get it down fast
I like that capability. I really enjoy the learning element of this. Maybe it is the sense of learning and accomplishing something really cool.
I did a bit of cleaning of the ashes this evening and noticed the ash catcher was still a bit hot. I guess I can just leave it in overnight, clean in the morning. Then I can start with a fresh setup of charcoal. Thighs are on the menu for tomorrow and I am excited!
My wife was one of the unfortunate ones to swallow a piece of metal from a wire brush. We were lucky but it could have been serious. I now use a plastic brush and clean my grate before heating.
O yes! I happened to be reading a message board a few weeks ago where someone posted a thread about why NOT to use bad wire brushes. Apparently, this person had an acquittance that went to the ER. The pulled out two wires from the persons stomach. Yikes. I looked into using just an aluminum ball to clean my grates. That really mad me nervous.
One of the ways I like to cook the most is indirect and if you're using the charcoal baskets it's real easy to do you should explore that as well. Just have fun
Yes! I am very excited to try that out. I would call myself more of a low and slow preference. I am going to try that tomorrow I think. There are so many amazing things you can do with the kettle!
One rule I follow is to always use Fresh Charcoal for all my Weber Cooks. Over these many years I almost always stick with the “Kingsford” Brand charcoal.
I can really can see the value of that. I feel like I need to study the different types of charcoal brands as well as briquettes vs lump charcoal. So many things to learn.
I use B&B charcoal in my WSM. It does have a different odor than Kingsford and I found it doesn't light as easily but it burns hot and lasts a long time. I typically use Kingsford in the kettle bur lately I've been using one of the Royal Oak varieties. Before each cook I use sweep out the ash and use a plastic paint scrapper to push out whatever the sweeps don't catch.

I usually start with a chimney 1/4-1/3 full with new charcoal and the rest is old charcoal. I can easily get at least an hour with that mixture.

I suggest you get practice direct and indirect cooking. I added an elevated grate to put opposite the coals. I like to cook chicken and pork chops this way with a chunk of apple or peach wood for a smokey flavor. I like to cook pork tenderloin by putting charcoal baskets on the sides with the meat in between. Add a foil tray to collect drippings.

Finally, use a marker and mark the ash catcher where the sweep lever is 1/4, 1/2, and open. You'll need those marks for temperature control. I find myself often at the 1/4 open position.View attachment 79247
That is very interesting. I have not seen that before.
Great points on the chimney. I need to learn how much to load in based on what I am cooking. I expect my first dozen cooks will be a lot of learning. How to manage the fire, charcoal, direct and indirect cooking. I like the idea of marking the openings on the bottom damper. Then I know right where to set it. Cool tip!
Welcome! You picked well getting a 22” Master Touch for your first grill. You’ll hone in your skills with each cook. That is why I find it so fun plus I don’t think you can beat the flavor of burger/steaks cooked over charcoal. You’ll learn a lot from folks on this forum. Grilling with a beer in hand is my therapy.

I also use my leftover coal from previous cook in the chimney and then add new coals until a little over 3/4 full for a 22”. That lasts more than long enough to cook a several steaks and veggies directly on grates like zuchini (really good and simple sliced long ways 1cm thick sprinkled with garlic salt on both sides). I always put hot embers on back 1/2 of grill to direct cook with lid open to get a good sear and grate marks. I keep the front 1/2 empty and close lid to finish food with indirect cook, keep warm, or melt cheese on burgers. Best to keep top vent over food no matter which side it’s on to direct heat and smoke over food. Close all the vents when finished cooking to snuff as soon as possible to save coals (and money) for next cook.

To clean… After hot coals are spread out and grate heated up, I quickly scrape and brush grate before and after each cook. That way, the grate stays pretty shiny clean for cooking (but not new looking) with the cooked oils from food helping to prevent food sticking and rust. Using a sharpie to mark the relation of your ash sweep to vent hole opening on ash catcher is super helpful. I mark mine closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, open.

I think the smell is either from the seasoning oil burning off as mentioned above or likely from the type of charcoal. You can’t go wrong with Kingsford Original or Pro Briquettes. I’ve also had very good luck with inexpensive charcoal from German grocery LIDL which is the closest of the off brands to Kingsford I’ve tried so far. However, this year I loaded up with Kingsford Pro due to good price and I think it produces slightly less ash and smoke. For lump charcoal, the best I’ve used so far is Jealous Devil XL. It’s fun trying different charcoal to see the minor differences in cooking. I find most of the cheaper coals I’ve tried have been noticeably more smoky but get the job done.
Thank you for the great tips! I really appreciate it. I like the idea for the chimney. Very efficient. I really like that idea of marking the bottom damper. Makes it easy.
The charcoal thing is very interesting. I am looking forward to trying different briquettes and lump charcoal. I just happened to stumble upon a good deal on Jealous Devil XL lump charcoal. I picked up a 35 pound back for $21. I think that is a good deal from what I saw. I will put kingsford on that list as well. Really appreciate your help!
I would say there is no reason to “season” a kettle. It’s coated in porcelain enamel…seasoning is for cast iron or bare metal. So completely unnecessary.

My initial burn in on all my grills is load up the big chimney, get it piping hot, dump and leave all vents wide open with the cooking grate on. Ready to rock and roll after that.

Enjoy and let’s see the new toy!
Thank you. It was fun. My boys were really enjoying it and we talked a lot about temp control, what we want to BBQ and just the ins and outs of the kettle. I think it will be fantastic experience to share with my boys.

I really appreciate all the comments and help. It is great to have such a fantastic community!
Thank you again!
Jason

I did a bit of cleaning of the ashes this evening and noticed the ash catcher was still a bit hot. I guess I can just leave it in overnight, clean in the morning.
Do not clean the ashes from the ash catcher until you are certain they are out. I wait until the next time I need the grill so it's normally the next day at the earliest. Some people go a couple days. I just use an old plastic grocery store plastic bag to dump the ashes and put them in the trash.

Thighs are on the menu for tomorrow and I am excited!
I assume you have a good instant read thermometer. I used to have a low quality thermometer that actually turned off before the temperature got stable. If you need a recommendation for good inexpensive one just let us know.

Do not clean the ashes from the ash catcher until you are certain they are out. I wait until the next time I need the grill so it's normally the next day at the earliest. Some people go a couple days. I just use an old plastic grocery store plastic bag to dump the ashes and put them in the trash.

I assume you have a good instant read thermometer. I used to have a low quality thermometer that actually turned off before the temperature got stable. If you need a recommendation for good inexpensive one just let us know.
I agree, having a good instant read thermometer really helps improve results.

Have a friend who died cause of it.

Have a friend who died cause of it.
That is very sad to hear. Very sorry to hear that.
When I learned about it, it honestly terrified me. I threw away what I had and have zero plans to use anything with a wire.

Does using the aluminum ball approach work? It might take more effort, but I am ok with that.
Or other alternatives?
Thanks

That is very sad to hear. Very sorry to hear that.
When I learned about it, it honestly terrified me. I threw away what I had and have zero plans to use anything with a wire.

Does using the aluminum ball approach work? It might take more effort, but I am ok with that.
Or other alternatives?
Thanks
The brushes work pretty well, hard to compete. But I will not use them. Foil, not quite as well. But heating the grill and using some olive oil or such, peetty much makes things go smooth.

It sounds like a might be in the minority but I like to put my used coals on top of the fresh ones in the chimney. That way they don’t burn down too much before pouring them into my baskets…

Back