Screwed up? Enhanced meat! (WM)

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
So think I made a mistake yesterday while shopping at Wal-Mart (other than shopping at WM). I was picking up a few house supplies, and I must admit was starving, and you know what they say about that. Well, I came across a 9lb pork butt and figured, what the hell, I can make it over the weekend for Mother’s day. Well, it wasn't till I got home that I realized something on the forum about WM and enhanced meat, boom, that’s exactly what I got! SMH.

This is what I get for 1. Being lazy, not going to my regular butcher and 2. Not reading.

So what say you all? Should I take it back or give it a-go? Package stated 100% money back guarantee so I’m tempted to return it as I don’t want any “hammy” tasting pulled pork.

Anyone smoke any enhanced stuff before? Was it salty or hammy tasting?
I typically buy fresh non-enhanced stuff so this will be my first experience with the stuff.

35bv0wl.jpg

I wouldn't sweat it at all. Just cook it. It'll turn out fine. If you were going to inject you might think twice about the salt in the injection but seriously, it'll be ok. It almost impossible for me to find non-enhanced at the grocer. My butcher has un-enhanced but I honestly can't taste much difference. With ribs it's more noticeable. The one you got isn't really even THAT enhanced. I've seen them injected with a lot more "solution"

Sweet; thanks Dustin.

I do always inject so maybe I'll cut down the salt in half.

Thanks again and good to know what about the ribs.

Agree with Dustin, I've seen a lot worse. Most all the ones we have her are enhanced and most a lot more than the one you've got. Should be fine.

Smithfield Enhanced are EXCELLENT !!!
This includes both the butts and ribs.

Yes, cut down on the salt.

Smithfield Enhanced pork, both their butts and ribs, are a common sight during pro bbq competitions AND a common sight when the awards are given out !

You will find some that don't like them. Also suspect that those that don't aren't giving us the full story.

Last edited:
Agree with Dustin, I've seen a lot worse. Most all the ones we have her are enhanced and most a lot more than the one you've got. Should be fine.

Thank Rich. Feel better about this buy now. Not having bad juju is key for a good cook. lol

Smithfield Enhanced pork, both their butts and ribs, are a common sight during pro bbq competitions AND a common sight when the awards are given out !

You will find some that don't like them. Also suspect that those that don't aren't giving us the full story.

You have a helluva eye, Bob! hahah

This, I didn't know. Now I feel really good about it. :)

Yep, reduce salt, you'll be fine.

Sweet. Do you suggest rinsing with water first?

... You have a helluva eye, Bob! ...
Nope... just first hand experience cooking them. If you do their St Louise ribs, you'll love it... Membrane already removed !

ADDED: This Saturday, Maryann and I are judging the competition at the Queen Mary in Long Beach. It's a given that many of those pork and rib turn-in boxes will be filled with delicious Smithfield pork !

http://www.queenmary.com/events/west-coast-bbq-classic/

http://ktla.com/2017/05/10/the-queen-mary-west-coast-bbq-classic/

Last edited:
When I use Smithfield ET in competition
I alter my injection by eliminating the salt
And cook hot and fast

2s1ovar.jpg

x3dea.jpg

Smithfield butt; I adjusted my injection accordingly. Everyone loved it so I will not hesitate to make this purchase again. Thank everyone for their input.

looks delish. I have never injected, mind telling me what you inject with? has anyone had an injected butt back to back with a butt that is not injected?

I've done both. I prefer injection. I find pork shoulder can be kind of bland and needs a little help. I use the Chris Lilly championship injection. I'm not sure of the exact ingredients but I think its a little worcestershire, salt, brown sugar, sugar etc. It's pretty simple. I tend towards being a traditionalist when it comes to brisket but as a Texan I just don't feel that way about pork. I think the main thing is getting more salt into such a huge hunk of meat. You could probably do this with a brine and get good results, maybe even a dry brine. Of course some sauce can work wonders as well, if you are pulling it or you can sprinkle more rub on.

looks delish. I have never injected, mind telling me what you inject with? has anyone had an injected butt back to back with a butt that is not injected?

See below, but my injection is apple juice and white vinegar base.

Great job Johnny !!!
Looks delicious !

Thank you Bob! Still working on my craft but I've gotten no complaints yet, tho, I don't think many people would complain about free food. haha

X2 on what Bob said Smithfeild Extra Tender is the way to go in a lot of aspects, I use it as often as available as well as the Smithfeild Prime reserve

Great looking PP, nice cook. I inject with a combination of apple juice/cider and a little of my homemade rub that I use on the outside. No added salt. Been very happy with the results.

Back