Sausage and Peppers

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I decided I wanted to try making some italian sausage.

This was Chud's recipe. I modified it. I took out the red pepper flakes. I added .3%onion powder, dropped the sugar to .2%, and swapped out the tomato juice for water. Acidic ingredients don't play well with getting a good sausage bind.

Pork butt and pork back fat.

Grinding.

Mixing. I desperately need to buy a meat lug.

Casing loaded on the stuffer.

Links. Had my son man the stuffer handle. Only had 1 blow out.

Got the veggies on the Weber kettle and the sausages with the blowout on.

Finished sausages and veggies.

On a hoagie bun with some provolone cheese and some marinara.

Look’s good! Hopefully you liked it well enough that you will make a bigger batch next time. My minimum batch is 10lbs., to much clean-up & effort. I have been using these two recipes or modifications of them.

Attachments

• IMG_4969.jpg
    IMG_4969.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 5
Look’s good! Hopefully you liked it well enough that you will make a bigger batch next time. My minimum batch is 10lbs., to much clean-up & effort. I have been using these two recipes or modifications of them.

It is a very massive amount of cleanup and effort. The problem is I then have to use all that sausage and this was the first time with this recipe. Thankfully it freezes well. This wound up being maybe 6 pounds all said and done. I did really like it. Flavor-wise this is one of my best sausages yet. I don't think I'd change anything at all with the recipe (with the changes I made to Chud's recipe.) I under stuffed the casings in some places a little bit which is my only regret from this batch. I probably needed to mix a bit more, but the c-bind covers a lot of mistakes in that area. These sausages just gush juice. The other thing I want to change is adding baking soda to lubricate the casing. I moved to a stainless steel stuffing horn which helped a lot in this regard. I also got better at making sure the meat was chilled between each step this time, which I didn't really understand in some of my previous efforts.

Those look great Dustin - agree with it all - sausage making is, umm, a commitment - to say the least ... lots of mess & lots of cleanup - but in the end, the product is pretty amazing. Yours look really nice - and only one blow out! .... that's pretty impressive....

Okay, now I feel like I need to make some sausages! More equipment to buy! Hey, I think I know someone with a stuffer…

It is a very massive amount of cleanup and effort. The problem is I then have to use all that sausage and this was the first time with this recipe. Thankfully it freezes well. This wound up being maybe 6 pounds all said and done. I did really like it. Flavor-wise this is one of my best sausages yet. I don't think I'd change anything at all with the recipe (with the changes I made to Chud's recipe.) I under stuffed the casings in some places a little bit which is my only regret from this batch. I probably needed to mix a bit more, but the c-bind covers a lot of mistakes in that area. These sausages just gush juice. The other thing I want to change is adding baking soda to lubricate the casing. I moved to a stainless steel stuffing horn which helped a lot in this regard. I also got better at making sure the meat was chilled between each step this time, which I didn't really understand in some of my previous efforts.
BTW, I used a package of C-Bind from the Sausage Maker, based on a thread of yours on (2) 10lb. batches. I previously never used a binder, nevertheless I will continue to use it, as it really provides a juicier product.

Last edited:
Dustin

I commend you for taking the time to make those delicious looking sausages. I'm sure like me, many others on this forum would
love to take a bite outa that hoagie.

Back