Sardines like 'em or hate 'em?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I've always liked canned sardines, but never really craved them. I'd buy a tin every now and again, enjoy them, and was good until the next urge hit.
A recent lunch of sardines on crackers had me doing a little sleuthing to see how nutritious they are, boy was I surprised. They're like a super food. Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, calcium, minerals, and high in protein.
Found a site dedicated to eating sardines.
Since I'm fighting the big C, they seem to be a near perfect food for me. I plan to have them at least once a week.
They can be high in sodium, but some also come in water with no salt added.
I've stocked up with several brands to decide the ones I like best.

1605304747245.png

Like 'em! Also like tins of smoked oysters.

It is a running joke with me and my SIL (who does not like them...) and she gives a few tins to me as a stocking stuffer every Christmas... as long as I eat them outside!

Beach Cliff and Bumble Bee are OK tasting, but King Oscar is a notch or two above in terms of taste and texture.
If I get non-flavored (no sauces, just olive oil) I will pour off the oil and add some good quality balsamic vinegar.

Usually have sardines as an appetizer when preparing a fish dinner.

(eddited for speeling korekshuns)

Last edited:
The Beach Cliff in water that I've been buying have sprats for the type of sardines.
Small and very good. I'm going to sprinkle a little malt vinegar on my next batch.

I like them if they're in hot sauce or mustard sauce and Beach Cliff are the most commonly found in the stores where we shop. No one else in my house will touch them.

I get the ones in olive oil.
I like to mash them up with a fork, then add some finely chopped onion and apple cider vinegar.
spread on crackers and enjoy.

Never had them; what are they like? Are they whole - bones & all? What's the difference between sardines and anchovies? (never had those either)

Never had them; what are they like? Are they whole - bones & all? What's the difference between sardines and anchovies? (never had those either)
They're actually nearly the same fish. Small oily fish in the mackerel family. Anchovies are typically found "cured" in salt while sardines are typically cooked in the tin in olive oil similar to many canned tuna products. As for me I like them. Wife won't let them in the house. Says they smell. I have never seen the Beach Cliff brand. Typical around here are King Oscar

Looks like Larry covered your question.

More info about them as a superfood:

Ain't eating nothing that doesn't have the guts cleaned out.
Bite down & get that little brown squirt in your mouth. um-um guud. not

Ain't eating nothing that doesn't have the guts cleaned out.
Bite down & get that little brown squirt in your mouth. um-um guud. not
The guts are cleaned out. The bones are still there though. Although I have seen some with no bones. But honestly the cooking process renders the bones so soft you don't even know they're there

I like tinned fish and seafood but where it comes from matters to me. Anything from China is out and southeast Asia is suspect, and unfortunately those places seem to supply about 150% of what I see in the store these days.

Another thing you can do with sardines is make a dip. Just mix up a cream cheese dip like you would with smoked salmon, and instead of salmon, add the sardines..

I forget from who but pretty sure I have seen smoked canned sardines and had them as well. Quite tasty as I recall

I forget from who but pretty sure I have seen smoked canned sardines and had them as well. Quite tasty as I recall
Some brands say lightly smoked, King Oscar is one of them. I haven't tried KO yet, but will soon. They are over twice the cost of some, so in the past I've skipped over them figuring a sardine is a sardine.

They do remind me of eating minnows, like the ones I've used for fish bait.

Back