Sam's Meat Prices?

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Just a heads up here. I was at Sam's today and they wanted $2.48 lb for pork butts. That's .90 more than what I paid at my local grocery store just a couple weeks ago, and yes, I'm talking unenhanced pork. Sam's spares were $2.99 lb, a dollar more than our grocery store this week, and they wanted $2.98 lb for briskets! So what gives? I don't know, but the ONLY decent prices I noticed in the meat dept. were for BS chicken breasts and pork loinback ribs. By the way, the local grocery store I mentioned sells Cowboy lump 20lb bags for $11.88, while Walmart sells the same bags for $13.

Well yeah, what with the shortage of beef and the epidemic outbreak with the pork. It's just that Sam's seems to be bringing us higher prices sooner rather than later. Since they're such a large supplier though, I'm sure it's just a sign of what's to come.

The wife and I went shopping yesterday and being retired and on a fixed income we are ad watchers and coupon clippers. There are three stores within a half mile of each other Fry's (Kroger), Albertsons and Wal-Mart. Most of the meat prices are up about 10-15% when on sale so far this year, beef up the most and chicken the least amount. The exception is Wal-Mart they are up about 15-20% and are now the highest priced of all. But they really don't run sales like the other two, so that could be the reason, If comparing retail price to retail price they probably are all about the same.

Last edited:
Bought a couple bone in butts at Sams last weekend for sausage making and price was $1.98/lb, up from the usual $1.58/lb.

Local Publix "sale" price for bone in pork butt this week is $2.49 seems to be the new standard.

BBRs and StL ribs are both near or over $3.00/lb at my Cash & Carry. If prices are this high and we're not even out of March, it's gonna be a long summer......

I was at Sam's yesterday and noticed that brisket and ribs were significantly more expensive than in the past. I've read that meat prices in general are on the rise.

Google "meat prices" and you find articles like this:

"At a time of year when U.S. prices usually are at seasonal lows, meat is rising faster than almost every other food group, even before the peak in demand for summer grilling. The domestic cattle herd is the smallest since 1951, after years of drought and high feed costs, and the spread of a piglet-killing disease is tightening hog supplies. Cattle and hog futures in Chicago reached record highs this month."

I bought lamb chops and racks of lamb. They appeared to be about the same price as usual.

I also bought pork steaks. Never cooked them before, but have seen them on here, so I grabbed a pack.

Man wish I could find meat that cheap. Now I was at COSTCO yesterday and Brisket was $3.98. Spares were $3.49 and I bought BB for $3.89. I am going to have to learn how to smoke insects or something. Really getting stupid with prices.

That's crazy. In my area my local store Stater Bros store has meat,pork ,chicken cheaper than costco. But I buy what ever is on sale. Lucky for us and every member here we can cook and make different meals with what ever is on sale.

Yeah the raw food prices are up doesn't even come close to the cost of prepared food. Watching my coworkers spend over 10 per meal blows my mind.

When we were shopping yesterday at Frys (kroger) had SL spares buy one get two free. Sounds great until you see the price of $32.48 for one! Retail $7.95 a pound.

Originally Posted by Rich Dahl
When we were shopping yesterday at Frys (kroger) had SL spares buy one get two free. Sounds great until you see the price of $32.48 for one! Retail $7.95 a pound.

Maybe not a bad deal since it equals $2.67/lb for StL. Cheaper than my store!

At todays prices that may be true, but late last Summer at the same store I bought three racks of the same ribs and the price was under $22.00 for all three on sale. Thats about a third more in less then six months.

Last edited:
Rich... In the last 2 months, Fry's has had Baby Backs & St. Louis ribs from $1.99 to $2.99 # on sale. There have been a 2 rack limit though.
I made several trips when they were $1.99# & stocked up. I'm fortunate enough to have a separate freezer.
Keep an eye out, the sale prices may get better closer to Easter & Memorial Day. :)

Rich... In the last 2 months, Fry's has had Baby Backs & St. Louis ribs from $1.99 to $2.99 # on sale. There have been a 2 rack limit though.
I made several trips when they were $1.99# & stocked up. I'm fortunate enough to have a separate freezer.
Keep an eye out, the sale prices may get better closer to Easter & Memorial Day. :)

Exactly. Snooze and you lose. No more buying when convenient and/or at a great price at Sam's. I've got some spares in the freezer from the last case I bought, but as I said in my OP, they're on sale through today for $1.99. I'm gone.

Karl...I must have missed that one although two months ago I had 4 or 5 racks in the freezer so maybe I just didn't notice the sale because I wasn’t looking for any, all we ever see up here is buy one get one or two free and that’s Albertsons, fry’s and Safeway. I did see at Wally World today they had nice looking spares at $1.99 and SL spares at $2.99 a pound and at Costco the SL spares were $3.49 a pound.

Back