Sam Club Tips for the Foreigner

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
A bit off piste this one! I am taking my first foray into Sams club this Friday, being a Costco guy normally what can I expect?
I hear lots on here about grills at Sams, do i need to take my credit card?

Pro tips welcomed!! Thanks

Good place to buy grill cleaner.
Not a fan of any of their grills.
Meat and seafood selection is much better at Costco.
Members Mark Silver tequila is pretty decent for mixing
and easy on the wallet.

The Sams here is not nearly as crowded as Costco. Sams here has short rib plate which Costco never has, but you have to order it online and then pick it up. Four plates in a cryovac when I bought it.

For the grills? Nah, nothing stands out. They are primarily….i would say a step above what one would find typically at Walmart in terms of quality but certainly nothing to write home about. They have things like outdoor bars and furnishings that at first blush look good but then you look at them and go “what would I do with this anyways?”

Having never been in Costco I can’t really compare. Sam’s always has good pricing on 75”+ TVs though!🤣

For the grills? Nah, nothing stands out. They are primarily….i would say a step above what one would find typically at Walmart in terms of quality but certainly nothing to write home about. They have things like outdoor bars and furnishings that at first blush look good but then you look at them and go “what would I do with this anyways?”

Having never been in Costco I can’t really compare. Sam’s always has good pricing on 75”+ TVs though!🤣
I disagree with that assessment of their gas grills. The Member's Mark models I saw were as good build quality of a comparable Weber and better than any Weber Spirit model...for significantly less money.
Their pellet grills seem rock solid too.

I disagree with that assessment of their gas grills. The Member's Mark models I saw were as good build quality of a comparable Weber and better than any Weber Spirit model...for significantly less money.
Their pellet grills seem rock solid too.
Sure glad you bought this up. As this is what I have seen. Their griddles (especially the pro series) blow away the Weber and just about anything else for good solid build, weight, and overall quality. And IMO the gas grills don't take a back seat to anything with the big W on it. Their pellet grills every bit as solid (if not more) than just about anything else I've looked at. Maybe not as "innovative" but darn solid
Yeah they're all made in China or Taiwan. Really though only difference is they actually admit it up front rather than importing all the pieces, and maybe stamping out a couple pieces of sheet metal here in Huntley then packaging it here calling it "Assembled in USA"
Although last trip to Costco all the Genesis II boxes were clearly labeled "Hecho in Chine" (both the 3 burner and 4 burner variants BTW) of which they have both in stock here in my local Costco. Last year this was not the case. the 3 burner was Made in China and the 4 burner was "Assembled in US" So IDK what if anything changed. I looked at all the Genesis II boxes on the floor all were the made in China variant.

Sure glad you bought this up. As this is what I have seen. Their griddles (especially the pro series) blow away the Weber and just about anything else for good solid build, weight, and overall quality. And IMO the gas grills don't take a back seat to anything with the big W on it. Their pellet grills every bit as solid (if not more) than just about anything else I've looked at. Maybe not as "innovative" but darn solid
Yeah they're all made in China or Taiwan. Really though only difference is they actually admit it up front rather than importing all the pieces, and maybe stamping out a couple pieces of sheet metal here in Huntley then packaging it here calling it "Assembled in USA"
Although last trip to Costco all the Genesis II boxes were clearly labeled "Hecho in Chine" (both the 3 burner and 4 burner variants BTW) of which they have both in stock here in my local Costco. Last year this was not the case. the 3 burner was Made in China and the 4 burner was "Assembled in US" So IDK what if anything changed. I looked at all the Genesis II boxes on the floor all were the made in China variant.
I don't know...fan or not of induction ranges but an induction side burner on a pellet grill is pretty innovative.

Not all the grill offerings at Sam's would be my first choice, but several of the MM pellet grills definitely give you a lot for the price - especially if you hit a clearance sale! The newest model that Larry posted in the pellet grill section looks like it can cook a lot o food in a relatively modest footprint. Remember, we are talking in the lower price range of pellet grills. But by comparison, I haven't seen much at the big box stores/Walmart that looks to be near as good quality in that price range. Migtht be room for Sam's to upscale like Pit Boss has done with their new Titan?!!

While I personally don't find the style of the Sam's higher end gas grill that appealing, like @LMichaels I do appreciate the use of a good bit of stainless steel and a solid layout at an attractive price. I would personally still rather have a new Weber - if those were my only two choices, but I am sure I would enjoy just as good cooks on the MM (not their cheaper one, though).

I would personally still rather have a new Weber - if those were my only two choices, but I am sure I would enjoy just as good cooks on the MM (not their cheaper one, though).
Why would you pay over twice as much for a "name"? Plus this. I have to say when I have needed support on the MM, I call their 800 number and I get right through and not to some foreign land either (well Canada) but I don't care. I can at least understand them. Honestly nothing to complain about.................really, other than a sometimes long wait for a part, (that I ended up repairing myself). On a gas grill obviously less to go wrong or need support with.
And I "get" the not liking "made in China" thing. Really no one gets it more than I do. But, at least they don't "hide" it behind an "Assembled In of global parts" label which is thinly disguised to mean The item was "boxed" here, and MAYBE 1 or 2 pieces were made here simply to be ablet to market it as "Assembled in USA"
I am of a mind, either MAKE it here or DON'T make it here. Don't be pullin the wool over my eyes.

I totally agree with you about the Made in China/Assembled in US double-talk. That isn't an issue to me, since, unfortunately, most everything manufactured for the mainstream is made in China. I would certainly like to see that improve. And, while I would still rather have at least something done here in the US, I agree that slapping a few parts together does not constitute "Made in USA."

I looked at that MM nice version back last summer. It is very nice. I don't remember the price back then. RIght now, their equivalent is "thermostatically controlled" and the price is $699:

Trying to find a roughly equivalent Weber, looks like that would set you back about $1,349:

I wouldn't spend that on either, but totally agree the MM is a far better value proposition and basically half the price, as you noted. I guess what I was saying is I like the Weber style better and would rather "have" one of those - but certainly not pay twice as much to get it. I will stick with restored classic Webers!

All cast aluminum fire box. 304 SS burners and a side burner that looks fairly stout for $299 including a cover or Weber Spirit 2 burner for $500?1000010118.png

Last edited:
I totally agree with you about the Made in China/Assembled in US double-talk. That isn't an issue to me, since, unfortunately, most everything manufactured for the mainstream is made in China. I would certainly like to see that improve. And, while I would still rather have at least something done here in the US, I agree that slapping a few parts together does not constitute "Made in USA."

I looked at that MM nice version back last summer. It is very nice. I don't remember the price back then. RIght now, their equivalent is "thermostatically controlled" and the price is $699:

Trying to find a roughly equivalent Weber, looks like that would set you back about $1,349:

I wouldn't spend that on either, but totally agree the MM is a far better value proposition and basically half the price, as you noted. I guess what I was saying is I like the Weber style better and would rather "have" one of those - but certainly not pay twice as much to get it. I will stick with restored classic Webers!
I was just looking at the 5 burner model you posted, 2 weeks ago. I must say I really liked it because it was spacious and really seemed to be sturdy.

Sam’s Club opens as early as 8 a.m. on weekdays and Saturdays for Plus members vs. 10 a.m. Monday through Sunday at the COSTCO near me. By 10 a.m. I’m already back home from my 30 mile round trip to Sam’s and prepping the grill to cook. Sam’s is where I purchase all of my meat and cannot complain about the quality nor price (of either prime or choice), even if I wanted to.

Our Sams was so unsuccessful they closed it. Which then made Costco two miles down the road an absolute nightmare with traffic. Cars lined up on the highway trying to get into just the parking lot. They have almost 100 handicap parking spaces and Barb and I get there about 9am on any day and may or may not get a spot.
Last time we were there it took me almost 40 minuets to get out of the parking lot! Totally nuts! Didn't really care for Sams didn't really carry a lot of what we buy. Used to go to Costco about every six weeks or so, now maybe three times a year.

I was just looking at the 5 burner model you posted, 2 weeks ago. I must say I really liked it because it was spacious and really seemed to be sturdy.
I saw the 4 burner version of this automatic one just today. IDK how it works, but it seems pretty stout. The smaller versions have porcelain coated heat tents and PCI grates with 304SS burners and lower heat deflectors. Don't know much else as was in a bit of a hurry. Had to get the boss from her PT appt., and then get home with my treasure trove of goodies (nice pork butt, large cowboy ribeye, and package of filet mignons. Buddy coming over tomorrow. We are gonna be wiring up new outlets in the garage ceiling for the new door operator I had installed, and oldest daughter and SIL are coming over to help wife out and have pulled pork (and wife will tuck into filet mignon). Spent a small fortune at Sam's today between food, supplements, and meats. Then a couple pair glasses. Good night blew over a grand there today alone!

I saw the 4 burner version of this automatic one just today. IDK how it works, but it seems pretty stout. The smaller versions have porcelain coated heat tents and PCI grates with 304SS burners and lower heat deflectors. Don't know much else as was in a bit of a hurry. Had to get the boss from her PT appt., and then get home with my treasure trove of goodies (nice pork butt, large cowboy ribeye, and package of filet mignons. Buddy coming over tomorrow. We are gonna be wiring up new outlets in the garage ceiling for the new door operator I had installed, and oldest daughter and SIL are coming over to help wife out and have pulled pork (and wife will tuck into filet mignon). Spent a small fortune at Sam's today between food, supplements, and meats. Then a couple pair glasses. Good night blew over a grand there today alone!
I KNOW what you’re talking about! I feel lucky to get out of there most having spent less than $200!

Wife can go online at Sam's and they do the shopping for her. All she has to do is a curbside pickup when the order is ready. Anything not in stock they deliver to home for free.
Does Costco not offer that?
Sam’s also offers discounts on a number of item by using their “scan and go” app. 2 weeks ago 20 lbs. 2x 10 lbs bags) of Kingsford briquettes was over $20 but using the app cost only $17.

Can Costco deal with that?!

Back