Sam Club Tips for the Foreigner

LOVE that scan and go. Actually the thing I hate the worst about Costco is lack of a scan and go type thing yet they're aways "inviting" you to the self checkout line. I flat out tell them "sorry I don't work here", also how hard they make it manage your account, see what is in stock at a local store, and on and on. Honestly from a tech standpoint it's still the 1990's there.
Also HATE them "tenderizing" meats without being asked for it. Consequently I will rarely ever buy "steaks" or any type of "cut" meat there

LOVE that scan and go. Actually the thing I hate the worst about Costco is lack of a scan and go type thing yet they're aways "inviting" you to the self checkout line. I flat out tell them "sorry I don't work here", also how hard they make it manage your account, see what is in stock at a local store, and on and on. Honestly from a tech standpoint it's still the 1990's there.
Also HATE them "tenderizing" meats without being asked for it. Consequently I will rarely ever buy "steaks" or any type of "cut" meat there
I love me some Costco but these are all valid points.
I don’t do self check out, I always ask how they feel about having their jobs taken away.

I saw where someone was bragging online how they cut out a bar code from a cheap item and stuck it over the one on expensive diapers so they could still scan them but pay a fraction of the price.🤨

I generally avoid self checkouts for the “I don’t need a job, I’m retired” reason! Unless I only have a couple of items and there are lines clear to the back of the bloody store. That’s at any store, not just Big box places. If I’ve got more than three items, I make sure that kid has a job!

If I didn't use the self-checkout at the local Costco, I'd be waiting in line now. Their technology is definitely 90's and thats being kind.
They get some things right. As well they should,for charging you to shop there. But I think it's an equitable proposition overall at least for us. Some of the prices are simply far cheaper on some items than any other retail source...the cost savings of pool chlorine alone covers the membership fee vs Leslie's or even Walmart.

I’m still not impressed by any of the offerings from Sam’s Club. Agree to disagree I suppose, I wouldn’t spend money on them.

I spend money with Weber because I can literally have an email chain conversation with Customer Support regarding a product that isn’t even available, that I’m hoping to buy. Try that with any other company on the planet. And, AND, said rep checks in on me before the product is available again, when they have no idea about a timeframe of availability or even IF there will be another offering.

That’s why my money continues to support Weber.

Just got back from a visit to BJ's. Haven't been in quite awhile. While they do have a decent selection of BBQ meats...briskets, pork butts, steaks, chicken, the rest was underwhelming compared to Costco and Sam's Club.
Lousy coffee bean selection. No pellet grills. A Masterbuilt gravity feed charcoal, a Char-Broil gas grill and a small Napoleon which was on sale for $900...again underwhelming.
Cashier asked if we wanted to renew our membership as it expires in a few weeks. I declined.

Last edited:
Tim, I have to say I was shocked at how easy and effective CSR is with Sam's. Actually more like Weber USED to be. I get US based support every time, I et right through, and more importantly I can understand what they're saying to me.
So honestly don't knock what you won't try. I think you would be VERY surprised. Given the price points I know I was very surprised. I've never needed and email chain either. I simply call Member's Mark support. Boom, right through.

Tim, I have to say I was shocked at how easy and effective CSR is with Sam's. Actually more like Weber USED to be. I get US based support every time, I et right through, and more importantly I can understand what they're saying to me.
So honestly don't knock what you won't try. I think you would be VERY surprised. Given the price points I know I was very surprised. I've never needed and email chain either. I simply call Member's Mark support. Boom, right through.
I had the same experience with Nexgrill. Person answered in under 30 seconds. Definitely US based...Chino, CA for parts but Midwest or South for technical support.

I've found that Sam's meat is pretty damn good, ESPECIALLY their PRIME marked beef. The tenderloins (filet mignon) are sold in a 4 pack and run less than $30 a pound which is a great price for very good steaks. My 80 year old mom (who lives with us) just prefers sirloin steaks over any other so I can get the PRIME sirloins for very cheap and they are fantastic. I get a 4 pack of filets and a 4 pack of sirloins and I pack one sirloin and one filet in freezer bags. On steak night I get to grill one filet and one sirloin. My wife eats about 3/4 of the filet and my mom eats half of the sirloin and I get the other half and 1/4 of each steak. Works great for us and it covers 4 steak nights. The package of filets will run between $45-$50 and the sirloin packs cost around $25. Comes out less than $20 per steak night for all 3 of us. Hard to beat that for good meat.

I also get their pork loins that come in two double packs for around $20. Put one pack of two in the freezer and cook the other pack of two that is enough meat for two meals for us. Great value and it's really good pork.

Chicken legs are usually less than $1 a pound which are great for butterflying. I'll pack them in freezer bags with 6 per bag. That's 3 or 4 nights of dinner for us.

I have my Sam's membership for the meat, the fancy bubbly and alkaline water my wife requires, as well as beer and wine. I also get some spices that I can use in bulk, at times.

Have a pork butt on the Z Grill from Sam's right now. Plus some filets and a cowboy ribeye waiting in the wings for tomorrow. No complaints. Although last week Costco had Prime briskets for $3.99lb. Did not buy one though. No room in the freezer LOL.
Sadly week before I'd bought a full strip loin at Costco. I cut off one of the ends for a roast and then 2 thin steaks (long story on those). In any case worst meat I ever had. Then, a couple days ago I cooked one of the strip steaks I had cut from the strip loin. Honestly just terrible. Sadly also a couple weeks ago I invited my brother over for his b/day and a nice ribeye roast. Was so disappointing. IDK if Costco is slipping or what but 2 REALLY bad meat purchases in a row don't bode well

The Members mark griddle is a alternative to a Blackstone and cheaper.
And quite honestly (at least the pro series) more solid. But, again this is my own observations after looking at many b/stones, and the Weber offerings. At $399 I would go MM on one any day.

Reminds me. I saw a social media post where some girl returned a couch, just because she could, to Costco just before the three year warranty or whatever it was ran out. They took it back no questions asked. Ugggghhhh. I don't mind honoring warranties for defective stuff, but this kind of thing is just stupid. Yah, I know, it is their policy, but I am sure too many people do this kind of thing too often. On grills, I could see people using them for three years, never cleaning them and then returning them and getting a new one, basically for free.

The butt is up to 173, been on at 225 rock steady since about 9 this AM. Plenty of smoke from Big Z currently running the Smokehouse 50/50 Oak/Hickory blend. Good smells on my deck

I’ve always gotten someone from the States. And an email chain over a couple weeks is a hell of a lot more convenient than sitting on the phone.

Back