Ruined Chicken - Woody Breast Syndrome.

I bought a few pounds of chicken once that were so bad I threw them out. That’s no joke. Before I found the Bell and Evans, it used to be hit and miss. I went through the phase where I thought it was the way I cooked it. Then it just became obvious, it was the chicken. Best bet is to find a more naturally grown bird supplier. Worked for me.

We went to Sanderson's Farm chickens because of no enhancements or preservatives and no sodium added. Mostly thighs for us and whole chickens for the SRDs (spoiled rotten dogs) we haven't had any woody breasts. I always snag a piece of the breast when Barb cuts up the bird for the SRDs.

Uhh…..NO? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Not sure what's funny about this post. I'm just seeking information from others. Please elaborate on what bemuses you...

Carry on and thanks for the "real" responses. :cool:

I'm sorry the way you posted the question comes off as a "joke" or "prank". If it's not than please elaborate exactly what you're asking about. If you're asking about white meat turning out dry and tough well that is simply error in cooking. Specifically over cooking it. If you cook breast meat beyond 165 it turns out badly. I always cook white meat to 155 to 160 and allow to rest so carryover brings it to desired doneness. i have never had a bad result doing this. And I don't buy anything special. Typically whatever is on sale. Though I do tend to like products like SMART Chicken https://www.smartchicken.com/ so when I am shopping at a particular store in my area and I find I need some chicken it's my "go to" product and I typically buy the organic version of it. Otherwise if I am at the regular market I simply buy their store brand so called "all natural" as it's cheep :D and performs as intended
Beyond this please explain

I had run into this situation a bunch of times in the past and looked into it. Even though they are not sure exactly what most article pointed to the quick development of the CB causing the problem and it did seem large CBs tended to have the issue. Since then when shopping I always look for packages with smaller pieces and have not had a problem. Just my two cents on what I have found.

Cut them in half so they aren't so thick,quicker and easier to control internal temps to keep from drying out while reaching temp,skin on skin off? most of my chicken mistakes were due to over cooking vs the bird its self,its easier to blame the quality of the meat than the cook lol

Cut them in half so they aren't so thick,quicker and easier to control internal temps to keep from drying out while reaching temp

As I read the article linked by Bob C I learned it to be an issue with the breast meat itself that no cooking method would resolve. It was an interesting read.

I have found that any breasts I buy from Publix has this problem. Harris Teeter and Krogers do not seem to have the problem - at least not my experience.
Ray

In our house we follow Rich,and Bob, thighs and drums are all we buy, breast are hard to cook without being dry. Plus dark meat just has more flavor.
I may had this problem but thought it was poor cooking on my part.

As I read the article linked by Bob C I learned it to be an issue with the breast meat itself that no cooking method would resolve. It was an interesting read.

^^^^ This is the answer. I did nothing wrong in my cooking method.

Cut them in half so they aren't so thick,quicker and easier to control internal temps to keep from drying out while reaching temp,skin on skin off? most of my chicken mistakes were due to over cooking vs the bird its self,its easier to blame the quality of the meat than the cook lol

Same here. I used to flatten them out with a hammer, but I find I can fillet them just as easy.

Next, I marinate them in McCormick's, or Weber's, overnight in the fridge.

It's hard for me to believe that some still think it's the cooking method, or thickness of the breasts, or etc, causing the problem.
I've had the problem a few times and I know darn well how to grill food.

Well, I just did beer can (without the can, just on the stand) on the grill.

4lb bird --no brine, no seasoning, just out of the fridge and on the grill--after 1hr5min at 325-350o turned out perfectly juicy all over. Skin wasn't as crispy as I would like but still tasty.

No wood here :D

It's hard for me to believe that some still think it's the cooking method, or thickness of the breasts, or etc, causing the problem.
I've had the problem a few times and I know darn well how to grill food.

I fully understand the issue, but I was just mentioning my preferred way of preparing breast meat.

Haven't ran into any woody breast issues yet - thank God.

I have found that any breasts I buy from Publix has this problem. Harris Teeter and Krogers do not seem to have the problem - at least not my experience.
Ray

That's really interesting because we buy mostly at Publix. I've done the regular Publix and the greenwise organic and never really had a problem. Go figure.

Back