Rotisserie Tinga Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Kept the rotisserie ring up from earlier this week and prepped another whole chicken. Marinade for 24 hours in a Mexican wet rub/marinade, then hit it with a little Mexican seasoning and Pam spray before It went on.
IMG_20220306_151614575.jpg

On the spit.
IMG_20220306_151738709.jpg

It was such a nice day I just sat outside with my daughter for the first part of it (then I had to go in to cook the other components for the meal).

First check really getting some nice color.
IMG_20220306_154949300.jpg

Done
IMG_20220306_163551091.jpg

and done
IMG_20220306_164116117.jpg

And shredded.
IMG_20220306_171351078.jpg

Ok so here comes the Tanga sauce. The owner of my local taqueria and I have been become friends over cooking. When I was telling them what I was planning for tonight, they told me after it was pulled I had to make a Tanga sauce to mix with it. They told me some rough ingredients and gave me the most scaled down version they could give me and I went for it.
IMG_20220306_165926725.jpg

They said I would not need all of it for one chicken and to add it as needed to get the chicken with the right amount of spice and flavor. The flavor of the sauce by itself was fabulous and strong, and I only needed to use about half a cup to get the chicken just perfect. I had my son the taco expert with me for this process.
IMG_20220306_172428788.jpg

Took and filled some corn tortillas with a little cheese sauce and chicken on a bed of salsa Verde.
IMG_20220306_172432320.jpg

Topped with homemade salsa Verde and cheese sauce, and into the oven.
IMG_20220306_172532675.jpg

By the time I made it to the table two enchiladas were already missing and tacos were being made. I was worried I would miss out so I snapped this quick quick photo and got myself two enchiladas.
IMG_20220306_174031144.jpg

I had three enchiladas and loved them. Other made many many tacos until there was hardly any chicken left.
Then the little bit of chicken that was left was given to this little begger. I couldn't say no.
IMG_20220306_182521821.jpg

IMG_20220306_182515996.jpg

This was really good. I will be making this again, hopefully sooner than later.

Another killer spinner meal, Michael! Feel free to share that sauce recipe with us (don't worry, we won't tell anyone where we got it!) :)

R

Another killer spinner meal, Michael! Feel free to share that sauce recipe with us (don't worry, we won't tell anyone where we got it!) :)

R
Super easy but amazing sauce recipe (knowing you, you could/will turn it completely fresh, but this is how it was given to me)

Half an onion
Two cloves of garlic
Mexican oregano
Cumin
One 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
Two or more (to you heat desire) chipotles in adobo sauce.
Some (I put in 1/4 cup) chicken broth

Saute onion and garlic add oregano (a few pitched) and cumin (a pitch). Add tomatoes, chipotles in adobo sauce, and chicken broth. Simmer then blend until smooth. Taste, add to chicken and enjoy!

Last edited:
I went to pick up my son from the junior high school team soccer tryouts last night and my local restaurant owner buddy and his wife were there just watching the tryouts. I was able to show them the pictures and process of this cook. They gave me a C+/B- on the cook, and they got a good laugh at "the mistake" that in their words "tanked my grade". The major mistake was in the adding of the tinga to the shredded chicken. They said tinga chicken should be completely covered in red sauce, it should have the red sauce covering every bit of it and you should let the tinga sauce reduce down a little after it is added. He said, "I told you that you would not need all of the tinga sauce, I didn't realize you were only going to add three drops of it into the chicken." I shared that it would have been too spicy for my family and it was extremely flavorful with what I added. His wife (who I just love) took over and said "I am the one who grew up on tinga not him so let me tell you... Tinga is NOT suppose to be super spicy so if two chipotles in adobo were to spicy take it down to one. Tinga is suppose to be heavy on the onion, you need more onion, smoky, flavor, with a little spice, but not overpowering." She went on to share that the chicken is traditionally boiled and the onions go in the pot with it. She she doesn't blend the onions either just a rough chop and into the blended sauce. She closed buy saying, "The chicken should be red!!!" The whole conversation was great fun and one of us was laughing at any given time, but I got to get my grades up so I will have to come back to this recipe soon!

So, are they basically saying to add the chicken to the tinga and reduce for a bit? I loved your cook, Michael. Would definitely make that.

So, are they basically saying to add the chicken to the tinga and reduce for a bit? I loved your cook, Michael. Would definitely make that.
Tim,
So I can honestly say I did not look up tinga until the last few days (I was totally just going off the guide of my buddy), but I as I start to plan my next attempt, I wanted to get a better perspective on dish. My takeaway after doing some research is you got it right, doing it this way, the pulled chicken should be added right to the tinga sauce, reduced and served. I am really going to try to control the heat level of the next batch and add as much sauce as I can! The first attempt was so good I have already purchased another whole chicken that is waiting for a second attempt to improve on the authenticity of the dish!

Made the second attempt at Tinga today, and it was a massive success. Did a double bird cook/spin, and followed the Tinga sauce recipe the same as above EXCEPT I went with one chipotle in adobo sauce. Used 90% of the blended sauce with the chicken and it was extremely flavorful while still being mild on heat side for family's liking. I used a little more chicken stock while adding and heating up the pulled chicken and Tinga sauce together. It help keep the chicken super moist and soft. Made 12 enchiladas Verde so that my mother in law and I would both have leftovers! Only got the one picture for the birds right before they came off.
IMG_20220320_150905937_HDR.jpg

Back