Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Try rubbing some butter UNDER the skin. The exterior will brown very nicely on its own during the rotisserie cook but to get the skin really crispy, you’ll need to rub some butter under the skin, but not too much, though, and not in clumps. Just a thin layer. You could also inject either regular or clarified melted butter right under the skin. Clarified butter has the advantage of not burning as soon as regular butter and the skin is being treated on both sides.

Last edited:
So that one was a Peruvian. I went to the other side of town to replenish my stocks of Aji Amarillo and Huckatay today, picked up a couple of limes and turned a Peruvian tonight.

One other thing I did was (and I did brine that bird overnight, but that's not the other thing) I rubbed some corn starch on it before I put the Peruvian wet rub on. The skin on this one was simply incredible. Probably the best bird I've ever spun. Stuffed the cavity with the lime rinds from the lime juice ingredient for the rub, and also cut up an onion and stuffed with that too. Simply incredible bird. I highly recommend rubbing down with some corn starch before a wet rub, next time I make the Lemon style, I'll try the corn starch step on that one too and see how it performs on a dry rub. There are those who claim that baking soda helps crisp the skin too, and I've even seen (paradoxically) baking powder recommended as a crisper. I tried corn starch on this one and it was a winner, winner.

So that one was a Peruvian. I went to the other side of town to replenish my stocks of Aji Amarillo and Huckatay today, picked up a couple of limes and turned a Peruvian tonight.

One other thing I did was (and I did brine that bird overnight, but that's not the other thing) I rubbed some corn starch on it before I put the Peruvian wet rub on. The skin on this one was simply incredible. Probably the best bird I've ever spun. Stuffed the cavity with the lime rinds from the lime juice ingredient for the rub, and also cut up an onion and stuffed with that too. Simply incredible bird. I highly recommend rubbing down with some corn starch before a wet rub, next time I make the Lemon style, I'll try the corn starch step on that one too and see how it performs on a dry rub. There are those who claim that baking soda helps crisp the skin too, and I've even seen (paradoxically) baking powder recommended as a crisper. I tried corn starch on this one and it was a winner, winner.
Dry brine or wet brine? I use cornstarch on my wings all the time. How long before cooking did you do the wet rub?

Dry brine Joe, I let it brine overnight. Then today at 5 I shook the water off, rubbed on some cornstarch, wet rubbed inserted the Meater and away we went! We were eating about 6:45.

Joe, I should add that when I dry brine the birds, I leave the breasts up so that they are not sitting in the water that gets generated overnight as the chicken Brines. Keeps the drum sticks etc out of the water too.

I made the same chicken but beer can style 2 nights ago. I also added a tsp of cumin and turmeric. I made it beer can style as I do not have a rotisserie for the Masterbuilt yet. I can't believe it was every bit as juicy and crispy as the rotisserie version. I dry brined for 1.5 days and cooked between 425 and 500. It was done in exactly 1 hour! I was very surprised and will be trying again to see if it was a fluke or not. Because of this chicken I wind up with "bald" lemons in the fridge all the time;-)

Cut the lemon up and stuff it in the cavity. It adds a nice flavor to the white meat. Might be rough beer can style but it’s no problem on the rotisserie. And I also cooked around 475. They take about an hour, that’s not a fluke! Cooking them hot is the secret to crisping up the skin :)

My rotisserie birds almost always have crispy skin. Thinking it may be partially due to the methods I use. Both rely primarily on radiant heat. I use only the infrared bar in the gasser and when using the rotisserie on my Santa Maria, it's over an open fire. I do dry brine which probably helps too.

I do them on my Genesis 3000, which does not have in IR burner. I've been making substantially excellent birds since the good folks here taught me to cook 'em closer to 500 degrees than 300, and these geniuses have also bestowed two game changing rubs: The Peruvian wet rub, and the "Hey Grill Hey" Lemon dry rub, shared to me by Chuck-O. Both involve citrus (lime and lemon respectively) and since I've been cooking them good and hot, dry brining and stuffing the cavity with "aromatics" (typically citrus, onion, garlic, etc) the chickens have been nothing short of incredible. I'm so grateful for all the advice, recipes and know-how that has been so freely shared. I can say with confidence that I can now make a darn good rotisserie chicken. Not the best, because I'm sure there are people who would put my birds to shame, but pretty, pretty good!

I can say with confidence that I can now make a darn good rotisserie chicken. Not the best, because I'm sure there are people who would put my birds to shame, but pretty, pretty good!
I would disagree with that unless you can prove otherwise. A few weeks ago we went to a popular Peruvian chicken place and the chickens I do now because of this thread beat theirs hands down. Their skin was not as crispy and the meat was quite dry.

Back