Rotisserie Crispy Skin

You need to do what you do with duck breast to crisp the skin. Sharp knife and poke some slits through the skin. Allowing excess fat to escape and skin to get crispy

One thing I've started doing that I think might be worthwhile is after removing drumstick, thigh and wing...digging out the "wishbone" and then removing the entire side of breast and slicing it across the grain, as opposed to slicing it while it's on the bird.
Absolutely! I taught a bunch of guys the “Treat it like a fish” fillet your bird technique probably ten years ago, one of the guys thanks me every time I see him to this day!
My band was playing a ”Before I die“ party for a friend who was in the end stages of his life, he wanted a great bash, he got what he wanted, live music, smoked treats, Grilled turkeys, loins of pork, racks of ribs, pies for miles, vast quantities of beer.
but, while we were playing a set I was watching these guys massacre a couple of turkeys and I almost cried right onstage.
when we took a break I said when the next ones come out I’d show them the trick. One guy was totally enchanted in the technique! I did two and he said he wanted to try it. He did it perfectly and said, “Yep, fillet the thing like a big salmon, Great idea!“ he was like a kid that had just discovered sex! Wanting to do it again and again!
best technique I’ve ever done when you want breast slices!

I definitely filet the breasts completely off then slice them against the grain. Carving these birds has been a learning experience too, worth its own thread actually! For me, this has been about learning the entire process again, from trussing (whether with twine or a turbo trusser or what ever), to brining, to cooking at the right temperature for the desired results (450 to 500 works for me) to rub recipes and all the way to stuffing onions garlic and citrus in the cavity. Carving them becomes the last art during a cook, and yes slicing the breast meat against the grain is my favorite way to do that. It makes for easy to cut and eat slices, and I must admit I do like the presentation when I carve that way too. Something about the two drum sticks, two thighs, two wings and two cross sectioned breasts gives the whole experience that little extra level when really I'm just making chicken! Carving is another recently re-learned skill for me, even though I still sometimes struggle to find joints to cut through I find myself massacring fewer of them. LMichaels, I'm going to slice some thin lines across the skin next week and see what happens.

Too bad you you on the other coast. I am selling one of these to keep your trees warm.
View attachment 46094
Saw this and thought of you, @Joe Anshien . This one will take a bit of work, I think, but there's not a doubt in my mind that you can make it shine!

1646928701753.png

Too bad you you on the other coast. I am selling one of these to keep your trees warm.

Saw this and thought of you, @Joe Anshien . This one will take a bit of work, I think, but there's not a doubt in my mind that you can make it shine!

View attachment 46911

Mine was in way better shape and sold it for the same price. A diesel mechanic bought it. An asphalt company was picking up his waste oil and they went out of business. Right after he picked it up another diesel mechanic wanted it. The guy that bought it sent me a picture of it in use.
1646930714706.png

What do you use it for? Outdoor heating? Those things are pretty stinky.
Originally designed for heating orchards to prevent a hard freeze I believe. They seem to be very clean burning. There is almost no smoke after the initial ignition.

Originally designed for heating orchards to prevent a hard freeze I believe. They seem to be very clean burning. There is almost no smoke after the initial ignition.
Of all of those I have ever seen, and it's mostly the little ones that look like a spittoon, but I have never seen one in operation. I've put a few dents in them with a BB gun in my day, using them for target practice.

These are the ones I remember as a kid...surprised they don't have dents in them from BB guns. Am I the only one to ever use these for target practice?

1646954370830.png

OK, back to the chickens. I'm making a rotisserie chicken right now. Finally I am getting more consistent remembering to put a drip pan. What I'm finding is that cooking them at this higher temperature (I'm right at 500 now) without the drip tray I get these flareups and it causes the temperature in the grill to be inconsistent. It also puts flames on the Meater then it starts making noise. Anyhow, I have a drip pan this time from the start, and I'm not running into any temperature fluctuations. Just thought I'd put that in here. Last week, I ended up getting a little char on the bird because I forgot the pan until the meater started making noise.

OK, back to the chickens. I'm making a rotisserie chicken right now. Finally I am getting more consistent remembering to put a drip pan. What I'm finding is that cooking them at this higher temperature (I'm right at 500 now) without the drip tray I get these flareups and it causes the temperature in the grill to be inconsistent. It also puts flames on the Meater then it starts making noise. Anyhow, I have a drip pan this time from the start, and I'm not running into any temperature fluctuations. Just thought I'd put that in here. Last week, I ended up getting a little char on the bird because I forgot the pan until the meater started making noise.

Can you remind me how you setup your grates and flav bars on your 2000?

Where is your drip pan? On the cooking grates?

Or on the second row of 8 Flav bars?

Or on the lower row of 5 Flav bars?

I scanned back to the beginning and don't remember how yours is setup.

Funny, as I went the other way. I used to always put a drip tray under the chicken. Now I don't as I think the dripping and a little char really add to the flavor;-) You should clean your grill's drip tray after but I find most of it turns into flavor.

I bought a cookie sheet from the dollar store and I cover it with foil. I put it on the bars under the bird and the heat turned it black. I've also used the disposable foil pans from the dollar store but I like the foil lined cookie sheet better.

Back