Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Joe, I see you are on their email list too!

I'll be using my TurboTrusser later tonight, as I currently have a bird brining and big plans to spin it later!

The TurboTrusser is a cool device, what I like is that I never feel like I get a good truss with twine, plus the turbo trusser does hold aromatics in the cavity pretty well also.

Joe, I see you are on their email list too!

I'll be using my TurboTrusser later tonight, as I currently have a bird brining and big plans to spin it later!

The TurboTrusser is a cool device, what I like is that I never feel like I get a good truss with twine, plus the turbo trusser does hold aromatics in the cavity pretty well also.
I really like it and am temped to buy a second one for when I do 2 chickens. I just still have a lot of twine for when I do a second one at the same time.

I've done two at once one time, and the biggest problem / challenge was that I only have one set of forks for the spit. I ended up kind of joining them with some skewers. It was not pretty. If you have the forks to do two at a time, more power to you!

I've done two at once one time, and the biggest problem / challenge was that I only have one set of forks for the spit. I ended up kind of joining them with some skewers. It was not pretty. If you have the forks to do two at a time, more power to you!
I have an extra set. I have done 2 just using 1 set by just smushing them together and it worked fine.

I know y‘all love the rotti, but I’ve done spatchcock chickens a few times now, and the result has been fantastic. It can take 1.5 hours to get to 165F, but the meat is tender and juicy, though I have not perfected crispy skin. I’ve got a bird in the fridge, so I’ll be posting a cook soon.

Spatchcock is a tried and true technique no question about it! We're here just trying to keep making better and better rotisserie chickens, crispy skin is a challenge. With a spatchcock chicken, you can lay it skin up or skin down, our challenge here is how to crisp up the skin when it is spinning while it's cooking! A true challenge as it turns out. Mine have been coming out much, much better since I've been cooking them closer to 500 degrees than to 300. Do you have any tips from spatchcocking them that might apply to rotisserie? Any secrets to a crispy skin?

I know y‘all love the rotti, but I’ve done spatchcock chickens a few times now, and the result has been fantastic. It can take 1.5 hours to get to 165F, but the meat is tender and juicy, though I have not perfected crispy skin. I’ve got a bird in the fridge, so I’ll be posting a cook soon.
When I was just using a Q320 I would do a lot of spatchcocked chickens as I did not have a rotisserie. I would put them on a rack on a piece of foil to indirect cook them. At the end I would put them skin side down directly on the grates to crisp up the skins. Mine took less than 90 minutes. You may want to crank up the heat.

Spatchcock is a tried and true technique no question about it! We're here just trying to keep making better and better rotisserie chickens, crispy skin is a challenge. With a spatchcock chicken, you can lay it skin up or skin down, our challenge here is how to crisp up the skin when it is spinning while it's cooking! A true challenge as it turns out. Mine have been coming out much, much better since I've been cooking them closer to 500 degrees than to 300. Do you have any tips from spatchcocking them that might apply to rotisserie? Any secrets to a crispy skin?
A couple pats of butter under the skin, and seasoning if you like.

If anyone is using a 3/8 inch spit with the turbo trusser, you might want to test-fit your TT to see if it fits on the spit.

Mine didn't so I had to clearance it a little with a dremel.

I have a TT-turkey and it also does not fit on the 3/8 inch spit.

If anyone is using a 3/8 inch spit with the turbo trusser, you might want to test-fit your TT to see if it fits on the spit.

Mine didn't so I had to clearance it a little with a dremel.

I have a TT-turkey and it also does not fit on the 3/8 inch spit.
Could you just make the hole larger with a step bit? I just went and measured my spits and both of mine are 1/4"

Could you just make the hole larger with a step bit? I just went and measured my spits and both of mine are 1/4"
Maybe,

I think It would have taken more time to securely mount the TT plate so I could use a drill

I used a a Dremel 562 tile cutting bit. Held the plate with my leather welding gloves. Only dropped it once. Next time I'll use vice grips to hold it.

I say next time, as I have another chicken TT and turkey, and they don't fit either.

Maybe,

I think It would have taken more time to securely mount the TT plate so I could use a drill

I used a a Dremel 562 tile cutting bit. Held the plate with my leather welding gloves. Only dropped it once. Next time I'll use vice grips to hold it.

I say next time, as I have another chicken TT and turkey, and they don't fit either.
Just clamp it to a piece of wood and drill.

I sent a note off to turbo trusser earlier this morning, and I just received their reply that they have already modified their design with a larger hole for their next production run.

Nice looking chicken Dan! Yes, the turbo trusser rules. I like how it holds aromatics inside the cavity, although during traditional trusses that was never really an issue either. I guess I just like how simple it is.

Or a spit that fits in my dishwasher.
I don't find either of these to compare at all to cleaning out a roasting pan one might use to broil a bird. I don't mind cleaning the spit and the trusser. It takes exactly as much time as I should really let the chicken rest.

Back