Rotisserie Crispy Skin

I would disagree with that unless you can prove otherwise. A few weeks ago we went to a popular Peruvian chicken place and the chickens I do now because of this thread beat theirs hands down. Their skin was not as crispy and the meat was quite dry.
I meant you guys. I'm probably top 25%, but I think a lot of youz could smoke me if there were a competition. I'm not talking about outsiders :)

So, do you call that a full success after all your trial and error? If so, please post up your instructions. I want to give it a shot.

So, do you call that a full success after all your trial and error? If so, please post up your instructions. I want to give it a shot.
Bruce, dry brine overnight. Pat the chicken dry, put on either Peruvian wet rub or use the Lemon Dry Rub Chuck-O recommended from Susie at Hey Grill Hey. Mount the chicken on the spit, truss. I use the "turbo trusser" but string is fine too. Definitely truss or else you'll dry out your wings and drum sticks. But the really important parts are these:

Cook the chicken on the rotisserie at about 450 to 500 degrees. If you have a thermometer that works for rotisserie (like the Meater, I'm not sure what other kinds of thermometers can stay in and rotate like that) then you want to remember to use it and don't open the lid while the chicken cooks. If you use a thermopen or another kind of thermometer, you'll have to open the lid to check the internal temperature. At 450 or even 500, it will take about one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes to get to an internal temperature between 165 and 170. A little longer if you keep opening the lid.

But do NOT let the grill temperature get below 450. You want to cook between 450 and 500. You will not dry the chicken out, the internal temperature of the chicken slowly rises as it cooks, so you are cooking to an internal chicken temperature of 165. I monitor the middle of the breast with the Meater for done-ness.

After an hour at 450 to 500, with either the Lemon or the Peruvian rub, if your chicken doesn't look like that, I will come to your house and show you how to do it. But I won't need to as long as you cook it at 450 to 500 degrees.

Bruce, I'd love to hear back about your experience.

I leave the front burner on High, the middle burner off, and the rear burner a little less than high. I look at the size of the flames when they are on high, then pull them back a bit to about half of their height off of the burner tube. Then I watch to make sure my internal grill temp is between 450 and 500. I also use an empty drip pan under the bird so I don't get any flare ups.

Time to spin some more.

dry brined overnight on vertical roasters.

20230507_123702.jpg

Turbo trussed on the spit with meater plus probes.
20230507_144725.jpg

On the Genesis 1000

20230507_145633.jpg

Trimmed out to look like a Silver B

20230507_150633.jpg

Nice setup. I cooked one tonight I picked up from the farm yesterday. I decided to quarter it but used the same technique of dry brine and high heat. Came out crunchy and delicious.

Back