Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Yah, this has me thinking. I usually have the bird over to the right hand side to avoid the crossover tube. I wonder if I could get away with just moving the one grate.
The crossover tube brings up another question. Do you position the legs towards the crossover tube or the neck end since it is slightly hotter on that end?

The crossover tube brings up another question. Do you position the legs towards the crossover tube or the neck end since it is slightly hotter on that end?
I never paid attention to which end goes where when I did roto chickens or any other meat on the roto.

I never paid attention to which end goes where when I did roto chickens or any other meat on the roto.
Neither did I Bruce until THyde mentioned moving it to the right because of the tube making that end hotter. Probably not much different on smaller pieces but a turkey would be considerably closer to that end. I figure you might want the extra heat on the neck end of the bird. I am probably just over thinking this as my daughter keeps tell me. lol

I was just thinking if it had to be one side or the other, I'd go with right side to avoid the crossover tube. Plus, it would be pretty easy to carry the spit with the bird closer to the handle.

I was just thinking if it had to be one side or the other, I'd go with right side to avoid the crossover tube. Plus, it would be pretty easy to carry the spit with the bird closer to the handle.
Don't forget that you need to slide the spit to the right to disengage from the motor, so need a bit of room on the right, and the more you lift up the end the harder it is to disengage. Also, being right-handed, it seems more natural to have the grill space on the right. I try to keep the largest part of the bird in the center, but I don't think any of this makes much difference other than convenience and what works for you. You can also cut down one or two old warming racks to fit on either side of the bird, but only as support for dishes, not to grill on if it's as rusty as the ones I have.

Last edited:
OK you piqued my interest. Just how to you marinate the inside only?
I don’t think that’s what he said, I think he’s saying he’s adding more to the inside with aromatics. I may be wrong .
edit- I got two posts confused, but, I think Joe is saying he’s using the Peruvian wet rub on the inside as well as the outside. Tim is using aromatics. Sorry for the (early morning) muddle headedness.🤔

I don't think the Xover throws that much heat, and also I THINK not 100% when Weber engineered the burner design they may have taken the XOver into account. My own experience is when doing something on the spit I have not noticed any difference whether I placed it more right or left. But again my "experience" not necessarily engineering fact

Well, I got it from you, and I'm definitely a fan! Matter of fact, there's a whole chicken defrosting for this weekend's dinner. Dry brined chicken is the best! Thanks, Tim!

Ed I recommend cutting up the lemon from the zest, an onion and a garlic and stuffing the cavity with that. It gives the white meat a ton of flavor. I also cut up a clementine and threw that in too. Came out fantastic and cooking at about 480 the skin was sublime.

Back