Rosh Hashanah 2023 - it’s about to get real

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Jewish New Year starts this Friday at sundown. I’ve got a lot of work ahead of me. Bought the two briskets, one for each night, which’ll be smoked and cooked on the WSK.

More to come as the week progresses. I started shopping last weekend and today. Made good progress so far.

Two different sized briskets as some guests have requested take home packs. So I obliged.

1694320110407.jpeg

1694320144681.jpeg

More pics to come Wednesday when the cook really starts.

When you’re cooking a 12# or 16# brisket, the difference isn’t anything. I guess I see it differently than you guys. I don’t live by the dollar alone. Life is more about relationships and enjoyment. To be able to give something to someone who really likes what you’re cooking is an act of generosity.

The more you give in life, the better the world becomes. I am grateful I am in a position to share with others.

Yes! You’re a good man Brett!
I agree, having the skill set to make the feast is special and one of my favorite things about cooking for family and friends. If there are any leftovers, they usually find homes.

When you’re cooking a 12# or 16# brisket, the difference isn’t anything. I guess I see it differently than you guys. I don’t live by the dollar alone. Life is more about relationships and enjoyment. To be able to give something to someone who really likes what you’re cooking is an act of generosity.

The more you give in life, the better the world becomes. I am grateful I am in a position to share with others.
Especially when you’re giving them something “of yourself”, versus money. I’d be proud and happy to have my food requested.

I have a brisket in the freezer and waiting to see what you do to inspire my future potentially 14-16 hour cook. (y):)
8 hours on the WSK. Perfect every time.

Going old school Texas style. SP with a splash of granulated garlic. Lightly trimmed. Thin edge of flat removed for future burgers.

Don’t mess with what’s proven and works perfectly.

Running CA white oak and some mesquite chips.

We will be 14 people. Only one night as we live in Israel.
An option that I'm considering is doing the tongues in the evening and the brisket for lunch the next day.
either way, your family and guests are in for a treat. any special sides specific to your traditions or Israel in general?

i'm thinking of making a small matbucha (Moroccan - https://toriavey.com/matbucha/) for the sweet heat as a side. and a host of other salad sides.

plus the usual RH faire. and kasha varnishkes (Ukrainain family roots - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasha_varnishkes - recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/kasha-varnishkes-at-wolffs-in-new-jersey-40010 - note, the onions must be sauteed to a light brown for that extra umami flavor).

I emailed my sister-in-law and her husband Svi asking if wishing them a Happy Rash Hashanah was the appropriate note for this weekend. I thought some reading this would be interested in her reply:
"Yes
Thank you - for year 5784"

Back