Rosh Hashanah 2023 - it’s about to get real

Fine feast, now, sleep the rest of the day!
I really like the way you quarter your brisket then slice! I’ll have to try that, it’s got to be easier that trying to make full slices and easier to fit on a plate!!

Wow…this effort is truly inspiring! I am sure all your guests were appreciative! So cool!
Nothing short of epic, heck I don’t think epic is a good enough word to describe this
Thanks. Lots of happy guests. I think my wife and I have around 20 slices left of last night’s brisket and some salads leftover.

A good friend has a liver paté delivery coming tomorrow. He’s super excited as it brings back childhood memories of when he grew up in Louisiana.

The garlic sour pickles were all gone last night. Rave reviews on those as my best batch ever. Only took me more than five years to dial that recipe in along with some horrible failures in the process. So much so that family asked me to stop trying as one point.

The WSK makes doing brisket so ridiculously easy. I can even project my cooktimes now with fairly good accuracy.

I’m glad so many here enjoyed seeing this cook unfold. A lot of work, for sure but easily done.

Rested all day today and watched some football. Now the next few months is shedding stuff from our home so we can move come march. The cooks will be pretty usual from now through March. Next big one is Passover which should be in the new home and kitchen. I cannot wait. The new kitchen is loaded with fun stuff.

Round Challahs (4 total, 2 apple and 2 raisin) - mix dough, fridge/prep Thrs night.... I have never had or imagined an apple challah. Sounds fantastic.
Joe, the reviews from fam and guests were very high. Here's the link to the recipe. I blanched the apples (granny's) for 2 minutes to slightly soften them. removed them from the water and then added sugar and cinnamon. then let them rest in that mixture.

when adding the apples, keep the liquid out of the dough.

other than that, this recipe is one i've made a few times now. the only change i have is to add additional oil to the recipe. it makes for a more moist challah when done. and i believe you can mix the dough, separate into two portions and freeze one portion before letting it rise. then you'll have another one ready when you want it.

Brett, you put any cook post of mine to shame! What a great and LONG session! Congrats and hope you got some leftovers...
Thanks for the kind words. It's not a comparison. We all do what we like, want and can do. In no way do I intend to flex on any of my cooks. I just enjoy cooking and sharing recipes and techniques. People have been very kind over my lifetime to help me learn, so in turn, I try to pass along what I know to help or inspire others to do what they're comfortable trying.

Collectively, we all get better with knowledge. I am just a conduit to sharing what I know.

I also kinda s**k at taking compliments so, truly, thank you. I'm just trying to be and keep it real. The greatest compliment is when someone is blown away by the food I serve and they say so. I especially enjoy cooking for my friends that own restaurants. I've shared recipes that are on their restaurant menus. That's an ego booster for sure. But my name isn't on the menu, thankfully.

Hopefully there's something here you'd like to cook or replicate. And hopefully I've given enough info for you or someone to march forward with confidence.

Last pic for this thread. This is the burn through of the coal load on that 11.5# brisket. Looks like I was on point with minimal residual briqs.

1695340425782.jpeg

The clean was around 1.25 of a CB of the leftovers.

Back