Rosh Hashanah 2023 - it’s about to get real

Hey! I thought you said that thin edge was for chili! Oh well -- to late. :LOL:
I've never made a chili. I guess growing in in NY, it wasn't a thing. But if you have a proven recipe to share, I'll give it a shot during football season, when the weather's cooler here (eventually that does happen, say November or so.) I don't know the argument with or without beans so whatever you're recommending, i'm down for trying.

I've never made a chili. I guess growing in in NY, it wasn't a thing. But if you have a proven recipe to share, I'll give it a shot during football season, when the weather's cooler here (eventually that does happen, say November or so.) I don't know the argument with or without beans so whatever you're recommending, i'm down for trying.
I'll be happy to share. I suspect like me, you may vary ingredients some as desired, but my last bit was really special, so you'll get that. Based on a TexMex recipe. I love true Texas chili (basically meat and chilis) but also chili with beans, so mine takes advantage. The one with the brisket was one of the best also and had 1 1/2 pounds of the thin flat. (The last one was a cut up strip steak. Big batch -- it's mostly in the freezer.)

In the Recipe section soon. Along with my split pea soup (don't ask -- so good!).

One chili recipy that I developed while living in Vancouver was Deli-ends chili.
I would get 2-3 Lbs of deli ends. (Off-cuts of pastrami/salami/smoked beef etc.) that the local deli would sell very cheap, cut into small cubes or pieces, and then broil them in the oven to get the extra crispiness.
Would add that to a chili base instead of ground meat.
Each bite would be a different surprise 🙂
IMG-20180514-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
8 hours on the WSK. Perfect every time.

Going old school Texas style. SP with a splash of granulated garlic. Lightly trimmed. Thin edge of flat removed for future burgers.

Don’t mess with what’s proven and works perfectly.

Running CA white oak and some mesquite chips.
I like 8 hours better than 14-16 but I am going to wait and :geek: see you do it.

One chili recipy that I developed while living in Vancouver was Deli-ends chili.
I would get 2-3 Lbs of deli ends. (Off-cuts of pastrami/salami/smoked beef etc.) that the local deli would sell very cheap, cut into small cubes or pieces, and then broil them in the oven to get the extra crispiness.
Would add that to a chili base instead of ground meat.
Each bite would be a different surprise 🙂
View attachment 78946
love this idea. heck, pack it up in a pita with some chips and tahina and this could be a real hit (with kraut and pickles too).

I’m not seeing anything like a car wreck, just someone with a skill set that I like watching! More power to you Brett!
thank you. you're very kind. sometimes it feel like i'm driving a car at 200 mph when making these meals. it all moves by so fast and the pressure is real. and getting it to the table on time, hot and without forgetting a dish i prepared (i have left stuff in the microwave or fridge before) is a challenge. i've implemented a checklist and menu so people can help get stuff to the table in time.

So, the working menu is (subject to final adjustments based on shopping and any time limits i might face).

Starters:
Round Challahs (4 total, 2 apple and 2 raisin) - mix dough, fridge/prep Thrs night
Chicken soup with either or both matzoh balls and or kreplach - soup Friday day - if kreplach Thrs night
Chicken liver pate - prep Wed night - assemble Thrs night ( make HB eggs Wed night)
Egg salad - prep Wed night
Matbucha - prep Friday AM
NY deli style coleslaw - prep Wed night- assemble Thrs night
Apples - for a sweet new year - cut and serve time of
Honey for dipping
possible: fresh beets with goat cheese, arugula and walnuts salad
possible: babaganoush

Mains:
Smoked brisket - cook Friday AM 0630
Sweet noodle kugel - cook noodles Thrs eve - assemble Fri AM
Kasha varnishkes - noodles Thrs night and assemble Fri AM
Garlic sour pickles (already made and in the fridge)

Dessert:
Hami melon in fruit salad (nectarines, plumbs and maybe grapes) - friday noon
Honey Cake - arriving by guests

I remember your last cooks.
I have to read them again. Brisket is hard to make sure it is always perfect.
Having a written schedule is awesome. I am sure everyone here knows the feeling. What, when, on-time too!

Brett, my high school Home Ec teacher would be happy to see someone using a time schedule! I use one every time I have a big feast, it makes my family laugh but Mrs. Greenman would be proud that I still use her knowledge after 45 years!
She loved teaching, there were five hockey or football guys in my class, they thought it would be an “Easy” class, they got their heads turned around about that the first three days! They did pretty well once they realized they still got to eat everything.

Brett, my high school Home Ec teacher would be happy to see someone using a time schedule! I use one every time I have a big feast, it makes my family laugh but Mrs. Greenman would be proud that I still use her knowledge after 45 years!
She loved teaching, there were five hockey or football guys in my class, they thought it would be an “Easy” class, they got their heads turned around about that the first three days! They did pretty well once they realized they still got to eat everything.
i learned the hard way. it's just easy to schedule and budget time. this way i plan my work and work my plan. thoughtless and easy. and i can have a "drink" and not get too far off the plan.

Back