Roasted rack of lamb

Have two in the freezer.....just waiting on an evening when my wife (who doesn't like lamb) is otherwise occupied! Yours looks good.....even in the oven! 🤣 Seasoning? I like a mustard/herb coating.

R

Have two in the freezer.....just waiting on an evening when my wife (who doesn't like lamb) is otherwise occupied! Yours looks good.....even in the oven! 🤣 Seasoning? I like a mustard/herb coating.

R
heavy spg and binder was local evoo. very flavorful evoo. roasted at convection roast 275f and then finished at 550f convection broil for 4 minutes. pulled at 125f and rested. it was stellar.

Thanks guys. I wasn’t sure how this one would taste as I really do like the WSK charcoal version most.

I’d make this cook again. The heavy seasoning really enhances the lamb flavor. Chunky black pepper, generous kosher salt and granulated garlic gave a nice crust so each bite had the lamb and fattiness you seek with the flavor pop of the rub.

The rub was pressed into the crosshatch scored top of the rack only. I seasoned the edges too, but not the bottom/underside of the rack.

The lower upfront cook allowed the lamb to temp up evenly for cook through at 109°F or so I then turned the convection broiler on to develop that slight char.

Easily and effortlessly, you can pop this meal out in 30-40 minutes total prep and cook time.

The cut lamb center was warmed through. Tender and flavorful as all heck.

Enjoy! Our freezers are almost empty here now for our upcoming move. Very little proteins left to cook. This way the new house won’t have anything old in the freezer.

Last edited:
That looks awesome, it's been years since I had lamb.
Costco always has the best racks IMO. I usually keep 1-2 in the freezer as they defrost quickly and are easy and elegant to make for guests on a quick meal. Three to four chops and a person is very filled, along with some sides.

I love rack of lamb and the oven did this rack proud.
The KA paid off. This was my best oven cooked ROL ever. The key was low temps for the even cook through and then the broil sear. And pull your lamb on the lower side of done and let it rest. I'll be enjoying these leftovers tonight. I'll drop the lollypops into the CI for a flash sear up. And bake up a potato to side it with. Maybe a mushroom gravy for additional flavor on the pots.

Brett, I have been using the “Union Square Cafe” recipe for Scotta Ditta and after going there and having the most brilliant experience in dining of my life, the recipe they share is accurate to within a clove of garlic! I had previously seen the (now defrocked) Mario Batali excellent recipe which is very close to USC’s, they are wonderful! Roast, full rack is another wonderful treat, I’m thinking about a pistachio crust on a brace of racks! Light olive wood smoke?

Brett, I have been using the “Union Square Cafe” recipe for Scotta Ditta and after going there and having the most brilliant experience in dining of my life, the recipe they share is accurate to within a clove of garlic! I had previously seen the (now defrocked) Mario Batali excellent recipe which is very close to USC’s, they are wonderful! Roast, full rack is another wonderful treat, I’m thinking about a pistachio crust on a brace of racks! Light olive wood smoke?
YES, olive wood smoke would be amazing. Bless you if you can find some of that wood. We have some locally which I hope to score this year.

using pitasch is real italiano! there are many blessings in Rome and pitash is one of them. i can see that being amazing.

Scotta Ditta is nice too, but, IMO, the balsamic will change the flavor profile and IDK if it's needed or warranted.

to me, old school italian lamb would be SP, fresh creamed garlic (not chopped but pestle/mortar) and fresh rosmaria. drop all these spices into a pestle and mortar and add some evoo. rub that into the scored fat cap and slow roast. and a nice bottle or red.

a fresh salad mozz, tomatoes, SP, evoo and balsamic glaze, some crusty italian bread. i could live like this forever.

the flavors of Italy, Greece and Spain, are all about the meats standing out with minimal enhancements from herbs and spices. over coals, made with love and served to family and friends.

enjoy! post what you make. i'm on a severe less is more kick these days. with this week's coming sunshine, i hope to get my grilling groove back on. ENOUGH with winter here already. it's SPRING time!!!

oh, and i'll be doing some leg of lamb for Passover if i can find one. or a good boneless roast; slow on the JD coals with garlic cloves inserted and roasted.

YES, olive wood smoke would be amazing. Bless you if you can find some of that wood. We have some locally which I hope to score this year.

using pitasch is real italiano! there are many blessings in Rome and pitash is one of them. i can see that being amazing.

Scotta Ditta is nice too, but, IMO, the balsamic will change the flavor profile and IDK if it's needed or warranted.

to me, old school italian lamb would be SP, fresh creamed garlic (not chopped but pestle/mortar) and fresh rosmaria. drop all these spices into a pestle and mortar and add some evoo. rub that into the scored fat cap and slow roast. and a nice bottle or red.

a fresh salad mozz, tomatoes, SP, evoo and balsamic glaze, some crusty italian bread. i could live like this forever.

the flavors of Italy, Greece and Spain, are all about the meats standing out with minimal enhancements from herbs and spices. over coals, made with love and served to family and friends.

enjoy! post what you make. i'm on a severe less is more kick these days. with this week's coming sunshine, i hope to get my grilling groove back on. ENOUGH with winter here already. it's SPRING time!!!

oh, and i'll be doing some leg of lamb for Passover if i can find one. or a good boneless roast; slow on the JD coals with garlic cloves inserted and roasted.
I might have to do a rack or two soon! I’ve got some olive wood that should be used up! It will be great!

Good wood in your state from this place, it's been discussed here many a time:

Good wood in your state from this place, it's been discussed here many a time:

I think all of these woods are available to me within a 30 minute drive, from the farms themselves.

I actually need more EVOO and might hit a local grower this weekend. Would be a great double whammy on liquid gold and wood too.

Back