Roadside Chicken

I want to make RS Chicken for a school barbecue. Does anyone have thoughts on how to multiply the recipe to do 180lbs of leg quarters?

Wow, that's a lot of chicken. Are you looking to marinate, or just baste? I'm thinking you'll need a few gallons just for basting.

Yeah, I'm getting nervous. I still have a month to get this together. I'm planning on both marinating and basting. My big concern is how to adjust the salt and spice levels. I'm sure I don't want to ramp up the salt just by doubling, quadrupling, etc. I just wondered if there is some rule of thumb that may help.

Danny,

I've doubled and tripled it and it's scaled well at that volume. I'd imagine you'll be fine going bigger at the same proportions.

Jim

Used this recipe last night. It was good to do chicken on the kettle without a barbeque sauce. The wife loved it to....always a plus

Thanks, well do it again for sure.

Did thighs off the lil bullet smoker with a slightly modified recipe. No marinade just basted. First hour went in a covered foil pan skin side down with butter and water (hot tub) the added a fresh coat of poultry rub on the chicken. Took the roadside mix added it to the foil pan juices simmered 10 min. Then cooled for 20 min. Left them on the smoker skin side up after that (about 2 hours) basting tops and dipping bottoms in the hot tub roadside juice every half hour. For color I did 1/4 cup basalmic 3/4 cup white vinegar. Went with turbinado for the sugar and added a tsp of cayenne for more kick. Left out the oil cause I used the butter hot tub juice. Smokey and delicious. SWMBO says I'm "allowed" to make again. I like how the skin came out too.

utf-8BSU1HMDA1MTEtMjAxMDA5MDktMjIyNi5qcGc.jpg

Enjoy!

I have probably made this about 5 times now using chicken halves and marinating it about 6 hours prior. Cooked it again last night with an overnight marinate (total about 20 hrs.) and it was the best yet. I was worried that it could be "over" marinated but it wasnt at all. It was outstanding, the kids devoured it and wanted more. I used RO briquettes to cook it for the first time since it was on clearance at my local K-Mart for $1.79 for a 16lb bag. I liked the stuff, and glad I got 10 bags of it!

Originally posted by Bobby B:
I have probably made this about 5 times now using chicken halves and marinating it about 6 hours prior. Cooked it again last night with an overnight marinate (total about 20 hrs.) and it was the best yet. I was worried that it could be "over" marinated but it wasnt at all.
I was worried about this too. I'm glad I found this post. I am going to prep some chicken tonight and cook tomorrow. Did you use the regular recipe minus the oil? Kettle or WSM?

Jon, first off welcome. There is a WEALTH of information on this forum as you probably already know.
I have always left out the oil for the marinade then add the oil for the basting and it has turned out great. I always use the Kettle too. I bank the coals to one side and start out indirect. Then finish with direct. I do flip and baste every five minute. I have also started to do the "grate spin" using my welding gloves during my baste so I dont extinguish a lot of my coals during the cook.
Sorry about the extra play by play......
icon_smile.gif

It came out decent smoked. Next time I will definitely grill it. I think an overnight marinade is too much for smoking, its probably good for grilling though.
IMAG0045.jpg

I tried adding smoke to it once myself and did'nt really care for it either. Straight charcoal tastes the best to me. Your chicken looks great though. I made some RS chicken this weekend myself. About an 8 hour marinate seems to do just fine to me. Peace and chicken grease!

I gave this a try over the weekend. I definitely over-charred the chicken, but it still was pretty good. Next time I'll spread the coals out thinner, and dedicate a grill specifically for cooking the chicken (I had tried to cook some potatoes, too, but it became too unwieldy). Great recipe, and great flavor. Next time I think I'll nail it.

Grilling is definitely the way to go. It came out much better than my smoked version. Nice crispy skin, great flavor - it has a slight sweetness to it and it was very moist. I marinaded for ~8 hours, cooked direct for the first 15-20 minutes then finished indirect on the kettle.
IMAG0055.jpg

Back