Roadside Chicken

Originally posted by Dave K:
Is there any reason why you cant make a marinade, take the chicken out when ready to cook, boil the leftover marinade and add the oil to use as a basting sauce? (sorry if this is answered previously, I didn't read all 24 pages of posts)

Hey Dave,
That's exactly what I do... call me cheap, but theres no reason you can't just boil the marinade and add the oil.
No one has died yet!! haha

Excellent question! And thanks Scooter for answering it. It sounds fine to me...does anyone else have an opinion on this?

It would be great to avoid a double usage of my precious spices/ingredients.

Thanks

ive boiled marinades and used them as sauces, i'm still alive. i used to make jerk chicken and brush on the marinade after i brought it to a boil in the side burner of my old gasser.

A question about the white vinegar used here- how strong is it? I tried this recipe on my gasser, and i'm a bit disapointed. Tasted like chicken, but not much else.
I used the white vinegar we can buy here in Norway, it says 7% on the bottle, but I chickened out (sic!) and added 1/3 of water, since my more fancy vinegars (white wine, apple cider and so on) are 4-5 %.

Marinated for at least for hours. Next time I will leave out the oil, as there were problems with flareups.

l_74132d35d58046a0b9d6b7b8bb9914f3.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MTktMjAxMDA3MjUtMjEzNC5qcGc.jpg

Did some last night using skinless boneless chicken thighs on a stick carnival meat kebob style. They were durn tasty and any sucker that smelled these babys woulda paid atleast $5 a stick.

I did a batch of Bryans original post and liked it, but found the vinegar taste not quite to my liking. Might try a more gourmet or subtle vinegar if I try it again.

The only thing I'd do different is to go ahead and make 2 batches of marinade while I"m making it, start marinading the chicken in on without oil and have the baster marinade with oil all ready to go. Then I"m not really making it twice getting everything out twice ect. I really liked the chicken like had dreams about it, now I'm on here talking about it, wanna try it again almost addicted like it, but my girlfriend was not impressed. But she NEVER is with chicken very picky. Loved the boneless thighs on a stick with this tho. Thanks

Yep did it again on direct low on gasser flipping every 5-10 minutes I did split breasts to 165 and thighs to 180 I marinated just 2 hours and it was still great. I have a propane outdoor deep fryer which I normally throw all the chicken at but with this recipe I think I'm gonna be grilling alot more chicken.

Thanks for sharing this recipe, going to try it tonight on my Performer. Just curious if you do the entire process over direct heat or start it direct then go indirect?

Originally posted by Eric Michaud:
Thanks for sharing this recipe, going to try it tonight on my Performer. Just curious if you do the entire process over direct heat or start it direct then go indirect?

Eric: Per Bryan's post on page 1 of this thread:

Posted June 09, 2006 11:24 AM Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis T.:
Thanks Bryan.

Using the kettle, do you cook the chicken indirect?

I'm prowling the boards today getting ideas on how to prep chicken for a party tomorrow.

Dennis, I use direct on the kettle with a nice even single layer of charcoal. You just have to keep an eye on it, mop fast and get the lid on quick to snuff out the flames after mopping. Like Bill said it's fun chasing the flames. Let me know how you liked it. This chicken is always a huge hit at my house.

I'm definitely gonna try this one tomorrow - grillin' porterhouses tonite!

Regards,

Rooster

You betcha Eric - I was looking for it myself in preparation for tomorrow night's first attempt. Still, I'm figuring on a two-zone charcoal setup... wouldn't want to be responsible for renaming the recipe "RoadKILL Chicken"
icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Rooster

Hey Eric, I took the link to see your pix, but for some reason, I'm required to register and then offer up an e-mail address and password.

What's up with that?

Regards,

Rooster

Well, made my first attempt at Roadside Chicken yesterday afternoon. Spatchcocked a 7-Lb Oven-Stuffer roaster (and after performing this operation innumerable times, I STILL cannot remove the keel bone in the effortless manner as depicted in Chris A's tutorial; I think it was all accomplished with trick photography!), split the bird down the middle, and brined the two halves for about 4 hours. Removed from brine, dried, and placed on foil-lined tray.

Got my 22.5 OTG set up with fully-lit two-zone K-briquettes, (one full Weber chimney's worth; and yes, I am quite the tightwad, using disposable aluminum trays more than once!)Placed birds on grill, sauced 'em on both sides - I used Bryan's original recipe, BTW - added a chunk of wild apple, and put on the lid (bottom and top vents fully open.) After ten minutes, opened the lid to re-sauce, and saw my whole world crashing down around me.

I firmly believe that the heat from the coals matched that emanating from the sun's chromosphere, and apparently the chicken's outer layer - as evidenced by its rather rich mahogany color - had managed to absorb nearly the same number of Roentgens as those generated during the first detonation at Hiroshima. Being the quick-witted soul that I am, I removed the close-to-flaming carcasses to the cooler side of my grill.

After a while, things looked a bit more promising, and I sauced and turned, and turned and sauced, for close to the next hour. During this process, tedium set in, and I turned to my newly-acquired bright-yellow electronic flyswatter (not pictured) to relieve the boredom (Two or twelve Natty Lites also kept me company.)

At last, internal temp read 175 for the thighs, and off the grill they came. Tender and juicy, they literally fell apart between the thigh and the breast, when I placed them on the cutting board to rest.

It was pretty doggoned tasty, but although I'm not a fan of REAL spicy foods - it makes my head sweat - it seemed to be missing that little "kick" that I had expected from the white vinegar. I recall that there were some suggestions to add some kick in a few of the posts on this ginormous thread, so I'll have to go back and search.

In order to prevent the "nuke effect" from being replicated, perhaps in the future a half-chimney of K-bricks will suffice; I had intended to try Cornell chicken next (this was my first attempt at ANY kind of chicken on the grill, believe it or not, as I've been a gasser forever with the flying version of protein), but I've gotta perfect THIS technique before moving on....

Hope the pix show up in the post (I've not had good luck with that in the past, I'm pretty dimwitted in that regard.)

Regards,

Rooster

Back