Roadside Chicken

made another batch over the weekend........the key for me is turning/basting MULTIPLE times and staying on top of things to avoid burning.........everyone says it's delicious!!

thanks again....and again!

Yep, I've made this chicken about 6 times. I need to try something different, just to try something different! It's always a winner though, so I keep making it. I've found a few things out....

1.) Do not brine for more than 12 hours.

2.) Indirect heat seems to work the best, then crisping over direct coals at the end.

3.) Lump charcoal is definitely the way to go.

4.) Start by basting the chicken, then I'll go to actually dipping it once it gets half way through the cook time.

5.) Never heat anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup past 120 because it will kill you. (Only French's Worcestershire sauce has no HFCS)

I'm strictly an amateur, but learning heaps from this site, and you probably shouldn't listen to anything I say, except #5 of course.

I made this last night and it came out awesome!

I think I cooked it a little too long though and burned it a bit too much on the outside. I wound up cooking this on my gas grill since I bought a bunch of chicken sections and it would not have fit on my kettle.

Thanks Bryan! This one is a keeper.

Well another happy customer.I made 24 drumssticks today,Heh I had both my WSM and OTS going at the same time and they came out AWSOME!!!!!

Thanks Bryan for sharing this little gem
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I'm going to try RS for the first time this weekend.

But I've got a question ...

Why toss the marinade and make fresh?

I was thinking of making a fresh batch and adding the remaining marinade to it. (Waste not, want not.) Since I'd be basting with it, there shouldn't be a health issue. Or am I missing something?

Update: It turned out great - THX!

Although some have made this recipe on the WSM without a waterpan, I have not.
Made this many times on the kettle and perfect results everytime.
Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

This recipe is awesome and can be used on essentially any grill with success. I cooked 3 halves of chix breasts and 4 chix thighs last night on an old gas grill in a resort that I am visiting. Chix turned out fantastic.

I also put a piece of apple wood on the briquettes for added flavor, and I use less oil in the recipe for the sauce I apply during cooking (less flare ups).

Ray

So I did the RS chicken this past weekend for the first time. It was awesome! I did thighs and boneless skinless breasts for the wife. This was the first time the flavor made it into the breast meat.

I marinated for 5 hours without oil. I did the chicken on the Ranch Kettle. I set up 3 zones on the grill. One zone was Kingsford for the foiled red potatoes that I made. And the other zones were lump for cookig and a cold zone just incase. I made another batc of sauce with oil but I didn't have any flare ups. I had some right when I put the chicken on, but whenever I sauced the meat it just smoked like crazy. Here I was all prepared with the Fire Department on speed dial
icon_wink.gif

Any ideas?

Hi All,

I plan on trying this recipe on skinless and boneless chicken breasts and chicken tenerloins.

How long should I marinate the chicken?

I will be using my Performer and Kingsford to cook the chicken. Do I set up for indirect or direct? How hot should the grill be? How long do I cook the breasts/tenderloins? How often do I baste?

Thanks much and wish me luck!
Dave

Originally posted by D Brewer:
Hi All,

I plan on trying this recipe on skinless and boneless chicken breasts and chicken tenerloins.

How long should I marinate the chicken?

I will be using my Performer and Kingsford to cook the chicken. Do I set up for indirect or direct? How hot should the grill be? How long do I cook the breasts/tenderloins? How often do I baste?

Thanks much and wish me luck!
Dave

Ive done BL SL breasts twice now. Id say to marinate atleast 5 hours or more. I think the last time I didnt do it as much and could deffinately tell. I set up my grill for direct with a safe zone (no coals) just incase. I cook mine direct as the liquid from basting vaporizes over the coals and gives another flavor layer. I turn and baste every 5-10 min. If it seems that the coals may be "going out" due to basting, just leave the cover off for a while to let the coals catch up.

Ive used lump and Kingsford, and I think the Kingsford work better. But thats just me.

Hi John,

Thanks for your help. Do you know about how hot your fire was? What was your total cook time?

Thanks.
Dave

I made this last night. Everyone loved it. I made it on a Genesis (gas) using direct medium heat and some apple wood chips that I had soaked. I marinated the chicken for 4 hours first. I kept basting it with the vegetable oil version after it was on the grill. When it looked done, I removed it.

I threw on some corn rubbed with herb butter and some zucchini as well. Fantastic recipe.

Sorry, I don't know how hot the fire was as I don't have a thermometer in my Kettle. But I used a full chimney of lit Kingsford spread out for an even layer of coals.

Love the recipe Bryan. Have you tried this variation, c/o Rick Bayless:

Servings: 4
INGREDIENTS
• For the marinade
• 1-1/2 tbl ground ancho chile powder
• 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican
• A big pinch of ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
• 3 tbl vinegar (apple cider vinegar gives a Mexican flavor)
• 1/4 cup orange juice
• 1 tsp salt, plus a little more for the onions
• 1 large (3 lb) chicken (sometimes called a large frying chicken, or a small roasting chicken)
• 2 large bunches green onions, preferably the type with large (1 inch) white bulbs, (these "knob" onions are available at Mexican markets and many farmers' markets), roots and wilted outer leaves removed
• A little vegetable oil or olive oil for brushing the onions
• About 1 cup roasted Tomatillo Salsa, for serving
DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients.
Heat one side of a gas grill to medium. If you have a grill with three burners, heat the outer two to medium, leaving the center one off. Or light a charcoal fire and let it burn until the charcoal is covered with white ash and about medium-hot; bank half the coals to one side of the grill, half to the other.
While the grill is heating, remove the giblets (if there are any) from the cavity of the chicken. Flip the chicken onto its breast. Using poultry shears cut down both sides of the backbone from tail to neck; discard backbone. Or, if you don't have shears, lay the bird on its back, insert a long heavy knife into the body cavity and press down hard with a rocking motion to cut down through both sides of the backbone. Open the bird out onto your work surface, breast side up. Make sure that the legs are turned inward. Using your fist or a mallet, wallop the bird on the breast, hard enough to dislodge the center bones and flatten out the breast. Twist the last joint of the wings up over the breast and then down behind the "shoulders," tucking them in firmly to keep them in place during grilling.
Smear both sides of the chicken with the marinade. Lay in the center of the grill (it will not be over direct heat). Cook, without turning, basting from time to time with any remaining marinade, until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced deeply with a fork (an instant-read thermometer should register about 160 degrees when inserted at the thickest part of the thigh), about 45 minutes. If you're cooking over charcoal, you'll want to add more charcoal to the fire after an hour or so - the internal temperature of the grill should stay at about 325 degrees.
About 10 minutes before the chicken is ready, brush or spray the green onions with oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill directly over the fire, turning frequently, until tender and browned.
Remove the chicken to a cutting board. It will lose less juice if you cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Cut the chicken into quarters ( or smaller pieces). Transfer a portion to each of four dinner plates. Top with the grilled onions, and you're ready to serve. Pass the salsa separately.

A copy of that very same recipe came home from work with me today. I can't wait to try it. The spatchcocked chicken in the picture was absolutely fantastic! I'm hoping to try this soon.

Back