Roadside Chicken

We absolutely love this recipe. I play around with it. Marinating for 24 hours gets the flavor in deep. Our vacations began today. I shoveled out the Performer and made a batch for lunch. I also grilled some asparagus and topped it with Hollandaise. Yummy.

4209501404_6ffa944788.jpg

4209496712_dc247325b6.jpg

4209500828_d02f0bbbd9.jpg

4209504800_870c968a63.jpg

Outstanding RD!
Great looking cook, and pictures!

Only problem is that you should have posted this up in Grilling so more would see it
icon_smile.gif

Enjoy your time off, and Merry Christmas!

Looks great. Gotta love the Roadside. Only question I have is, is that a plastic beer bottle I spy. Thought you could only find those at sporting events.

That is a glass Worcestershire sauce bottle. I save empty ones to use. I put the basting sauce in it. I then can just shake the sauce onto the chicken.

I just finished making the marinade for another batch of this for company we're going to have later.

A couple questions occurred regarding the basting sauce.

* There should be no issue with making the basting sauce at the time the chicken goes into the marinade, correct? It saves tome to make both sauces at the same time.

* I frequently have leftover basting sauce. Is it a problem saving until I will use it again? If it can be saved, should it be refrigerated? How long will this keep?

Generally speaking, we make this about weekly . . . perhaps every 10 days.

Thanks for the help.

I don't think the basting sauce would spoil, even unrefrigerated. There's a lot of vinegar in it, and when it sits, the oil separates and floats to the surface which provides a barrier against air getting in to the sauce portion where the sugar is.

That's it! I read all 22 pages and I must now have this chicken!!! I'm debating on using the gasser or the WSM (since I just got the WSM recently). If I do the WSM, I'll do no pan and I'm still thinking about top vs middle rack. Anyone have better results on the WSM with top vs middle? Just don't want it to burn too much...

UPDATE: Made this chicken yesterday in 12 degree weather. Marinated for 2 hours. All vents wide open. A full chimney of lit and a half chimney on top unlit. One small hunk of apple. Used middle grate and no pan. Basted and turned every 10 minutes or so. Took me about 45 minutes to an hour for it to cook and was FANTASTIC. I'm going to quarter two more chickens today to do it again and share with friends. The cook smelled awesome. Thanks again for the recipe.

IMG_6625.jpg

IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6622.jpg

One of the latest to make this chicken... twice in the last four days. Not much else to say other than it was fantastic and yes, I even got a few "best chicken I ever had" comments.

THANKS!!!

Finally made RS chicken and it was great. We travel in Mexico a fair bit where there's lots of roadside places, and we ten to call it Road Kill chicken.

BUT, my skin got really burned. So, should the chicken be turned? Should it stay skin up? I was cooking on my gasser over direct heat, mostly at a med-hi level. What can I change to get a crispy edible chicken?

Did this for the first time on the gasser today. Came out great with crispy skin and moist juicy meat. I used chicken thighs and boneless skinless chicken breasts. I won't hesitate to use this recipe again.

Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
BUT, my skin got really burned. So, should the chicken be turned? Should it stay skin up? I was cooking on my gasser over direct heat, mostly at a med-hi level. What can I change to get a crispy edible chicken?
You turn and baste every 5-10 min. as I posted in the very first post/recipe of this thread.
icon_confused.gif

Originally posted by Michael G. (Canada Mike):
I did rad that. Carefully. But skin got badly burnt. Just trying to fogureout what I did wrong.
Then you need to cook the chicken over a lower temp/flame of course.
icon_wink.gif

Add me to the list of followers. I did chicken thighs last night with grilled white asparagus and acorn squash (with butter, molasses and pecans). Sorry, no pics; my wife and I hadn't had lunch and we were hungry!

I just got me some drummy/thigh combos and I'm going to be using this recipe very soon!

I told my wife about it and she can't wait!!

I made this chicken WICKED GOOD!

I did something a little different for the mopping. I made a double batch of mop heated it up a bit, and put in a large, wide bowl. Everytime I would flip, I would dip & completely submerse each piece. I also used the performer with baskets of coals on each side with eight thighs down the middle for indirect heat. I need to crisp up the skin next time thats all.

But what do you guys think of the dipping method?

Came out great but wondering if its the best way to go?

I did mine over the weekend on a kettle grill..........it was QUITE TASTY!!!!!!!

Thanks again for the recipe!! I recommend it to anyone that likes grilled/BBQ chicken.

My only deviation from the recipe was I used A.C. vinegar instead of white (cause' I thought it would work)........and I used celery seed instead of celery salt (cause' that's what I had). The result was absolutely wonderful!

For Easter, I will be making some Roadside legs & thighs (separate, not attached) on the WSM and was wondering if anyone thinks I would have more luck doing it slow at 250-275 until done, or no pan and high heat on the lower rack (or top rack?) and turning and basting until internal temps are around 170. Any thoughts?

If you cook this at lower heats you won't get crisp skin.

I fired up a batch last night and as usual everyone loved it. I had 2 chickens quartered and everything went easily on lower grate.

I used a silicone glove to grab and flip. I liked the idea of having a bowl of the baste to dunk the pieces in... I will have to try that next time.

For this recipe just stick to hot and fast. 22 pages of accolades can't be wrong

Just made my first batch of RS chicken for dinner on the gasser. Initially I cooked it over a medium/high heat, and then backed it off to low after about 10 minutes or so.

The chicken was great, and the skin was delicious.

Thanks for the recipe, Bryan!

Nick

Back