Roadside Chicken

I just wanted to thank Bryan again for posting this recipe. I did another batch tonight with leg quarters, probably the tenth time I have cooked RSC. My neighbor was going to the mailbox while I was flipping and screamed " Oh my God Eric what are you cooking it smells soooo good, I can smell it inside my house". I have seen some do it with skinless but there is no way I am going that route, the flavor layers on the skin with a nice crisp...

Thanks again Bryan

Originally posted by Archie Sellis (Cajun600):
Doing this recipe tomorrow, can't wait! Anyone veterans of this recipe, is the marinade mandatory? Or is it still good to do it without marinating?
I'd say marinating is pretty key for this one. I usually let it mingle for ~8hrs.

Originally posted by Stefan B:
I'd say marinating is pretty key for this one. I usually let it mingle for ~8hrs.

I agree, except for boneless, skinless chicken. I let 4 BSCB's marinate in RS sauce overnight, and they weren't as good as when I only marinated them for 6-8 hrs.

I agree with Jim. Boneless, skinless about two hours. Skin on, bone in....at least eight hours. I've done 20 hours before and it was great! (chicken halves). So yes, I do believe the marinade is a must.

Awesome, got 5 quarters marinating in the fridge right now, ready to go on this evening. Got the charcoal and apple chips ready to go.

I've been reading through this thread and noticed a lot of people discussing the flare up problem. Although I'm sure it get's easier over time, another option is try the GrillGrate. I have them installed on my gasser, and they eliminate flareups completely, and they get ridiculously hot. I go into more detail here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?a=...781000516#8781000516

Will post my results from cooking tonight soon!

Did it last night, one word, excellent!

Think I had too many quarters in one bag for the marinade to full take effect, also used some lump charcoal, but didn't seem to get hot enough to really crisp the skin. Oh well, here's to next time!

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Has there been a majority of opinion on whether or not boiling the marinade and then adding the oil or butter to make the basting sauce is a good thing to do or not?

Rita

A clarification: What I'm trying to ask is, other than safety concerns, whether the boiling of the original marinade before using in the basting sauce will change the flavor profile of the marinade and the end result.

Rita

A clarification: What I'm trying to ask is, other than safety concerns, whether the boiling of the original marinade before using in the basting sauce will change the flavor profile of the marinade and the end result.
I have never boiled the used marinade so cannot answer if it would change the flavor. I personally think the marinade has too much oil in it and contributes to flare-ups. When I make the marinade, I do everything except add the oil. I then separate the marinade into 2/3's and 1/3 , and then add 2/3's of the oil to the sauce I will use for the marinade. I then add 1-2 TBS oil to the basting sauce and the chix turns out well with very few flare-ups.

Hope this helps Rita (also see your e-mail for an answer to your note).

Good luck,

Ray

Ray, thanks for the good input. It was very helpful. By adding some oil to the first marinade for the chicken and reducing some of the oil in the basting portion, I got no flareups. The chicken was quite moist with a mild flavor.

Rita

Made this tonight for the 4th. Even she who gets sick of chicken really liked it.

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Rita Y:

Rita

I've been "recycling" the marinade for years now by boiling, have never noticed any flavor degradation. In fact on the cooks that I participate in this is a staple along with pulled pork (using a slightly modified Renowned Mr Brown recipe for that). Last weekend was 50# of butts, 120 pcs thighs. They consistently ask if the "good chicken" will be available again.
And oh yeah, I've never poisoned anyone either reusing the marinade, and I've had lengthy conversations with health officials on this topic, have always reached the conclusion that a temp increase will keep the marinade safe. But I have found that you can't let the digesters know it's been boiled/recycled due to years of being told you just can't do it.
Truly a case of "what they don't know hasn't hurt them".

edit: As for the oil and flare ups, I've always considered this as a part of the charm of this recipe. Using a 2' X 5 ' charcoal grill gives a lot of room to dance the chicken to a safe place at finishing time. The burn off adds to the aroma cloud.

Originally posted by Sid Ingram:
Ive been a member for several months now and this is the first post that may actually be helpful for some folks.
I bought a 10# pkg of chicken leg quarters (about $6.00), trimmed all the extra skin, fat, and wing tips off. I marinated in two batches of the RSC marinade(less the oil) overnight. I removed the water pan, then fired up the(wsm) smoker with one lit chimney of briquets and one unlit chimney of briquets.
When the temp hit about 350, I placed half of the chicken quarters on the upper grill. I tried to keep the temp between 350 and 375... The best way to control the temp was to remove/replace the fuel door... there were lots of flames at times...When the temps started to get too high I replaced the door... This cook kept me very busy... every 10 min or so I removed the lid, basted the birds,(using the RSC recipe with oil) turned them over, basted them again, and replaced the top. After about 1hour 15 min, the internal temps of the chicken indicated that they were done...
I repeated the process for the second batch.
The results were fantastic; the skin was dry and chrunchy, seasoned very well, and very edible...
I used two batches (without oil) for the marinade and two batches of the marinade with oil for basting while cooking...
I used a catsup bottle with a squirt top, but the hole was too large.. I placed a piece of masking tape over the top of the bottle before screwing on the lid.... then pierced a much smaller hole in the tape... Worked great!
I hope I havent bored you with so many details... my wife says that when someone asks me what time it is, I tell them how to build a clock...

The main point is that this is VERY do-able on the WSM.
Have fun

Sid, this post answered all my questions on this topic. I am planing to give RSC a try on my WSM tomorrow and now I have not only a plan, but insight into what to expect.

Sometimes its good to know how to build a clock.

Thanks,

-mike

I made this with cutlets and brought it to my buddies house for the 4th. It turned out great and I will be making this again! Thanks!

Cooked RSC quarters for the first time on July 4th, on the lower rack of my WSM after marinating them for 20 hours. Basted them every ten mins.

No water pan. Stubbs briquettes and sassafras wood. Used my "mini" coal box instead of the ring. All vents open. Temp 250-300. Took 1 hour and 15 mins.

Fantastic result - crisp skin, tender meat, great flavor. I'll certainly be repeating this cook.

Just stopped by to say HI, I don't get online much these days.
I'm glad you all like this one so much.
icon_cool.gif
May all your RSC cooks come out perfect, each and every time, Bryan
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Bryan, as my better half is soo famous now for saying, "If it's not Roadside chicken, it ain't chicken at all!"
We all love it! Thanks a Million!!

Back