Roadside Chicken

I made this on my 18.5 wsm at the race yesterday. Marinated it for about 12 hrs. and did not baste... came out fantastic. As previously posted cooked it at high temp all vents open one chimney of charcoal 2 apple chunks and when the thighs reached 160 put the rack on the coals and crisped up the skin.... unbelievable. Thanks so much to this forum and the poster of this recipe!
Dennis

Hey Bryan, do you ever get tired of hearing new folks tell you how great this recipe is? Tried it tonight for my sister and her picky eater kids and it was a hit. Lots of fun...

AEmJGl.jpg

Thanks for posting this recipe, tried it yesterday. Tweaked it a bit, added cumin, coriander, rotisserie spice and some beer...canola oil as that's what we had (didn't think olive oil was right for this)and the rest pretty much according to the recipe. Above all, the white vinegar is probably the key component.
I found whole roasters on sale so I picked up a nice big one and pieced it out, cut the breasts in half as they were pretty big. Had a full chimney off to one side, and put some color to the pieces first over the heat, then rotated pieces away to go slow and somewhat indirect. Lots of basting and turning, as per the recipe and it is an important step. Also had some corn on the cob working there way in the back and a tin with some potatoes and squash roasting. My OTG 26 is off the sunroom- the next morning when I went out to walk the dog through said sunroom, I was hit with the aroma of RSC as soon as the door opened. Quarter to six in the morning, ready for some chicken just off the smell. Meal came out great, the bird was very flavorful and is my new favorite way to eat chicken. Next time I will try marinating some, see how it differs.
So the reference to roadside chicken stands in PA? Are they common there and if so in what areas? I travel to eastern PA for work, and would like to give it a try.

I am getting this one ready for tomorrows tailgate party. My 10 yrs old nephew is playing in his little league all-star game which is being held at the Miller Park (Brewer's Stadium. I cant wait to see what the inlaws will say about this....will update later this weekend.

Taking the $15 22.5 kettle score from last weekend!

Originally posted by Kim Drana:
I am getting this one ready for tomorrows tailgate party. My 10 yrs old nephew is playing in his little league all-star game which is being held at the Miller Park (Brewer's Stadium. I cant wait to see what the inlaws will say about this....will update later this weekend. Taking the $15 22.5 kettle score from last weekend!
IL's are gonna LOVE it!!! Hope your nephew's team WON today!
Then EVERYONE is a WINNER! Kim with Roadside, In-Law's eetin' AWESOME shé~cone and Nephew Winning at Miller Park!
MyGawd! What an Afternoon!!

Well..Add another score for Roadside Chicken! It did better then the brats that were offered by others at this tailgate party. Which in Wisconsin is a big deal! And yes...the big question was " what did you put on this chicken" The answer "tvwbb love!" Thanks every for the secret!

And yes..my nephews team won 11 to 3. Great time had by all! Go Brewers!

So I just broke my new kettle in with this recipe. I have tried alot of recipes in my life and many of them were good and added to the family cookbook. But I must say, this is the best thing I have ever cooked in my life. I can't believe I just said that.

At first I was thinking that basiclly vinegar and spices could not be near as good as a thread that is 6 years old was making it out to be. But how could that many people who seem to know good bbq possibly be wrong. They weren't.

Followed the recipe to a t and did a double batch with two cut up chickens. Made up a third batch for basting.

This silenced the wife about buying another "grill". My gasser is going to get awful lonely!!

I used 3/4 of a weber chimney, (is there any other kind) and was ready to cook in about 15 min. Basted and turned as instructed.

Yup, this recipe is a classic. It's been one of my go-to chicken recipes since I learned of it here. Muchas Gracias to Bryan.

Just purchased my performer and this was the first recipe I tried. The chicken came out great! Definitely not the last time I will be cooking this.

results

Thanks,
dr

I had some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the fridge which were reaching their "cook 'em or toss 'em" date. We were going to be cooking venison, corn, foiled veggies (mushrooms/onions) and ABTs on the kettle so I was looking for an easy way to sneak the chicken breasts into the cooking sequence.

I ended up marinating them for a couple of hours using the RSC recipe w/o oil, then grilling without any additional basting. Really tasty, probably as much flavour as I would want in BSCBs. I baste fairly regularly when making RSC with bone in / skin on chicken but with BSCBs the results are surprisingly good even without basting.

Here is a recap of my vey first charcoal chicken cook & along with my very first spatchcock. If you have any tips or recommendations please don't hesitate to offer them up. I have only been using charcoal for about three weeks now.

1. Got the grill started with Kingsford Blue between 3/4 & 1 full chimney
chimneyy.jpg

2. Brought out more supplies. This was a last minute cook so I did let the chicken warm on the counter for about 15 minutes after purchasing it from the grocery store. I had put on the Roadside Marinade right away.
moresupplies.jpg

3. Let the grill preheat. Got it to 450 degrees prior to putting the chicken down.
preheat.jpg

4. I used a foil wrapped brick to keep the breasts down as much as possible. Started the cooking at 450 but it went down to 410 within 17 minutes and then held at 400 for the remainder of the cook.
brickh.jpg

5. Here is the final product. I cooked bone side down for 25 minutes adding marinade every 5 minutes. Then flipped to skin side down for 20 minutes. Put directly over the coals for 4 minutes at the end to crisp up the skin. Every 5 minutes when the skin was down I was flipping to add more marinade to keep it moist. THe problem with that is the skin tore and one of the thighs/legs came detatched from the rest of the chicken.
donef.jpg

6. We definitely enjoyed the meal although not very pretty it did taste good. I am sure the chicken would have been a bit more flavorful if I would have marinaded like the recipe stated. I would have if I didn't decide to do it on a whim. The zucchini and yellow squash was sitting in Italian dressing for about 30 minutes prior to grilling. Those were good too!

Celebrated my Dad's 79th bday today with my first RSC. I had 12 quarters and cooked 6 on the lower rack of the WSM and 6 on the Kettle. Everyone loved it! High heat direct on both....came out perfect.

Bryan, I don't throw this local term around often but this stuff is wicked ****ah!!

Enjoy!

I'm pretty new here and wonder: are you still using the original recipe as posted 6 years ago or have there been improvements?

After all, 28 pages of comments is a lot to errr "digest"
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Len Dennis:
I'm pretty new here and wonder: are you still using the original recipe as posted 6 years ago or have there been improvements?

icon_wink.gif

The recipe is the first post and also contains an edit to only use the oil in the basting sauce. Great stuff

Originally posted by Jeff R:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:

icon_wink.gif

The recipe is the first post and also contains an edit to only use the oil in the basting sauce. Great stuff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
TKS!

That's it! I've had enough and can't take reading anymore comments about how great this recipe is. I need to make this real soon to see what all the hype is about.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Dom R:
That's it! I've had enough and can't take reading anymore comments about how great this recipe is. I need to make this real soon to see what all the hype is about.
icon_smile.gif

At this point I wouldn't if I were you. You will just be mad you waited this long
icon_smile.gif

Back