Roadside Chicken

Way to go, Mike. Sounds like you need to do what I did and keep an eye out for another kettle on craigslist.

Speaking of cooking a lot of chicken on the OTG though, I highly recommend a big batch of Dougherty's wings. They're probably my favorite thing to grill on my kettles, and the recipe is in the poultry section. Give 'em a try, even if you're not a hot wing fan.

Finally got around to trying this last weekend. Results were great. My daughter said it was the best thing she ever had off the smoker (I did thighs on the WSM). The thighs were done in 1 hour and 15 minutes. My temps for the last 1/2 hour were 329, 346 and 366 at the vent. A couple of the smaller thighs were a little dry so I think next time I'll try to keep the temps closer to 325 and if it takes a little longer than so be it.

For as good as the chicken was the day I cooked it (Saturday), it wasn't a pretty sight on Monday when I had some leftovers for lunch. The taste was OK but visually they were a mess. They were shriveled up and the skin was coming off and they appeared to be way more well done than 2 days before. Is there any way to do these ahead of time or should they always be consumed the day they are cooked?

Joe,

I don't use the Roadside recipe on the WSM. Rather, I use my WSJ and grill them over direct heat. This gives you a crisp, flavorful skin, especially after repeated applications of the recipe. I find that the WSM produces flabby skin necessitating a quick finish on the grill.

Thanks Don. The thing is the skin was nice and crispy the day of the cook. In fact I was surprised how crispy the skin was because I thought it might not get that way on the smoker. 2 days later it was a different story. I was wondering if the basting liquid (I basted every 15 minutes) had some properties that would cause the skin to shrivel after it was cooled and stored. If done on a grill do the leftovers (assuming there are leftovers
icon_smile.gif
) hold up better?

Joe,

The skin on leftover chicken is always a shrivelled, soft mess, in my experience. I usually just discard it after reheating.

I can tell you from experience that Roadside makes fantastic chicken salad the next day too.

Jim

I did mine on the rotisserie. Skin was soft and sticky and tasted great. I held temperature about 300° F and I suppose that's why. Nevertheless, this recipe did not disappoint and the chicken was great!

DSC_4946-PP.JPG

I read in the 1st Post to leave out oil if you're going to marinate it. Why? I've use oil in marinades all the time. Something i don't know?

I had to go back and reread the recipe. I believe it is because it it will promote even more flare ups. Funny thing is after rereading it I believe I have been doing it backwards with how I mix it. That would explain by my fire is always blazing away
icon_smile.gif
. Thanks for asking for the both of us

Finally took a swing and agree with most everyone - RSC is excellent.

I cooked in WSM. I hv a charcoal grate for a 22" grill, so placed that where the water pan normally would be and dumped a chimney of RO lit on one side. Put thighs on first and then added sticks a few minutes later. Dome temp was hovering around 325 until I opened door for a few minutes...dome temp skyrocketed, "lapping" the 100 degree mark on the dial. Closed the door and grilled / basted for next 40 minutes or so around 375.

Good and crisp and a pretty easy cook on the WSM with limited flare-ups. Served with wife's cornbread and Puerto Rican style beans (kidneys and calabaza).

Great recipe!

Originally posted by fritz:
I read in the 1st Post to leave out oil if you're going to marinate it. Why? I've use oil in marinades all the time. Something i don't know?
None of the ingredients in this recipe need the oil to carry/infuse the chicken. Trust me, If you are grilling the chicken over lump or briqs, you'll have plenty of flare ,with out all that added oil in the marinade process.
icon_wink.gif
I've done it both ways more times than you know, and I never noticed a diff when using the oil in the marinating process. Hope this answers your question. Bryan S

To Bryan's point - you don't need the oil for flavor infusion and you will have significantly less flare up.

I make a batch for marinade if I'm doing that, sans oil. I make another batch for dipping/basting during the cook to the original recipe. I do add ingredients to help emulsify but you can see all that up thread.

I add citrus (lemon, lime) rind to both. I prefer to take each piece during the cook and dip it rather than brush.

Using the WSM with the water pan out and a rack set to the high position (done it with both racks loaded). Door out/on lid on/off to help jack temps and work the flames.

It's fun this way smokes a heck of a lot but you won't char due to the distance from the fire. And using the WSM this way you aren't dancing around moving stuff all the time to keep it from burning. I've done it on the Performer, it works fine - just more intense and more focus required during the cook. In the WSM you can walk away for a little if you need to do something else say in the indoor kitchen.

Brilliant recipe that I have used a ton of times at this point.

Bryan - u still have the Harley?

i always see everyone mentioning the RSC.... never even glanced at it. i dont know why i thought it was some complicated thing i wouldnt be able to execute.

jeez... this is all stuff almost anybody will have in their pantry!!! going to try these very soon.

Another true believer in this awesome recipe! I always did chicken with hickory wood, salt/pepper, and bbq sauce at the end.

But now, I have to say, this is my go to chicken recipe. Not to say I'm dropping the traditional bbq style altogether but ****, this stuff is good.

I basically followed the original recipe to a tee marinating sans the oil for about 3 hours and then using a fresh batch with oil for the drizzle. (I used a plastic vinegar bottle that I poked holes in the plastic lid with an awl to keep the chicken covered in the sauce. Cooked it up on the Mastertouch and EMMMM EMMM', DATS SOME GOOOOOOD YARD BIRD FO' SHO!!
icon_biggrin.gif

So the Recipe ingredient list is for 1 Chicken?
1 or 2 chickens (3 lb. birds) or 6-8 split breasts or leg 1/4 rs. As Ray stated whatever you can cover with the marinade.

planing on doing this monday on my WSM. Full lit chimney of kingsford, all vents open, lid on, until chix leg quartes are 160.

For those that do on a WSM w/o the water pan; doesn't the fat drip on the coals causing ash to get on chicken?

I was going to do it with water pan but seems no one has done it that way (although i'm still reading through the 30+pages of this thread)

Thanks for your input!

For those that do on a WSM w/o the water pan; doesn't the fat drip on the coals causing ash to get on chicken?

I was going to do it with water pan but seems no one has done it that wayQUOTE]

Ash moves around wether the water pan is in the WSM or not. Yeah you might get a little more movement of said ash with out the water pan in there, but that's just part of the game. Remember every time you put the RSC sauce on, it will wash off the ash. LOL!
icon_biggrin.gif

Relax and enjoy the game. It"s all good.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back