RO vs KBB is there going to be a charcoal price war this summer?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
It looks like Royal Oak decided to jump in with both feet into vying for the backyard cook's charcoal dollars this year.
An early RO sale at Home Depot and Lowe's, followed by a better RO deal at Walmart than for Kingsford at HD and Lowe's.

I'm anxious to see what the July 4th sales bring.
If RO put a very big dent in Kingsford's sales, maybe the price will get cut.
RO did strike at the right time with the price increase for KBB.

Last edited:
I agree, Although I didn't need any charcoal this season because of last summers fire restrictions I did pick up two twin packs of RO for $8.88 at that price I couldn't say no.
It would be great to see Kingsford get a little competition from RO.

If there is a price war between Kingsford and Royal Oak this summer and Kingsford cuts their sale price for the July 4 and Labor Day Sales, then all of us will benefit from that.

Works for me.

I wonder if home depot and lowe's are eating the price cuts. For the first time this year I see Kingsford buying into the whole summer stock up thing. They are posting people with charcoal hoards on social media. I've got so many random bags of charcoal from the various sales this year, that I can offer my guests burgers grilled on their choice of charcoal. Right now I'm grilling up some steaks on B&B just because Franklin says he likes it.

LOL. I'm out of propane, and have been too lazy to get my tanks up to TSC to get them filled.
But, needing charcoal, I went to Wally World and grabbed a twin pack of RO as it was the best deal.
This weekend, I did swing by Lowe's for some KBB. Storage space is limited, so I just grabbed a couple twin packs.
But, July 4th is just around the corner! I'm sure that I'll get some more!

I wonder if home depot and lowe's are eating the price cuts. For the first time this year I see Kingsford buying into the whole summer stock up thing. They are posting people with charcoal hoards on social media. I've got so many random bags of charcoal from the various sales this year, that I can offer my guests burgers grilled on their choice of charcoal. Right now I'm grilling up some steaks on B&B just because Franklin says he likes it.

LOL, you en fuego this evening.

I was out and about today and picked up the twin RO deal at WM.
They had a couple stacks of Western lump priced at $5 for 20 lbs.
It has a new bag design. I still have a couple of bags from last year's clearance, it's made from mesquite, decent enough if you watch for stinky smoke from some not fully carbonized pieces.
B&B hickory lump was, I think, $12.44 for 20 lbs. I want to try it when my lump inventory is reduced.

I usually buy 8 bags of KBB on Memorial Day, but when I saw the 30% price increase, I only bought 4. Will have to get to Wally World to check out the RO. Wegmans charcoal (made by RO) used to be $5.99, but that's up to $7.99 now.

Back