Rib Rack Recommendations

Bob Ivey

TVWBB Emerald Member
After my first cook of spares, I know I will be doing them again soon. The Costco St. Louis Cut spares come 3 racks in a cryo pack. on my 22 laying them flat on the top grate is very tight and I don't like using the lower grate unless I am doing a brisket and 2 butts. So I was thinking that a rib rack would solve that problem. So the question is, which one to get. All suggestions are appreciated.
TIA

I got a rib rack, thinking that it would solve the same problem you are staring at. I found it a little less than a good solution. Get a few bamboo kabob skewers and roll the ribs. If you use two skewers and stick them through high-to-low in one direction and then low-to-high in the other, they will be pretty stable. I do them breastbone side down and they sit nicely three to a grate. Use side cutters to lop off the excess skewer and they'll be easier to handle. When they are done, you can just lay them flat and your guests will be none the wiser.

Jeff

Ribs_of_the_Beast by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I got the Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Nonstick Ultimate Rib Rack http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000AXQAIS/tvwb-20 and fit three racks of the Costco STL ribs on my 18" using it; two racks vertically and one rack draped over the top. It was tight, but it fit without touching the lid.

That said, I agree with Jeff Hasselberger and would not purchase the rack again if I had it to do over. Rolled ribs come out just as good and with far less cleanup. A rack just seems to get stuff you need to scrub off in every nook and cranny.

I've had that Raichlen rack since 09 and it sucks ( bigtime ) I bought it for my 18.5" WSM for ribs cause I tried coiling and thought that would be easier ( wrong ).
I bought The 22.5" WSM just so I could lay three racks down flat and I'm surprised you find it tight? Full spares maybe but St louis or BB fit ok for me.
Another option is to do the double grate mod ( photo 1 ).http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/increasecapacity.html#stacking
I used that for years on my kettle and it will work if you have a spare 22.5" grate

Tim

I have a 22.5 and have done the same St. Louis spares 4 times and did three on top and three in bottom. Plenty of room.

Bob...
Suspect that once you take Harry's class, you'll find a whole bunch of room. ;)
(comp trimming allows for more 9 bone ribs on the grate.)

I've had that Raichlen rack since 09 and it sucks ( bigtime )

100% agreed. I used it once and it took longer to clean that it took the ribs to cook. Seriously. It's very sturdy (used it to cook 2 12# packers once, with a bit of modification), but total overkill for holding up ribs.

I got this one as gift and used it a couple times so far. It's basically a clone of the Brinkmann rack and works OK as long as your racks aren't too thick.

Bob, I think you are right. Am really looking forward to it next week. Even though it is only 60 miles my wife and I are staying at the hotel the night before and she will enjoy some free time the next day while I have a great time at the class. We really need to get away if only for one night. My current concern is when I did my first rib cook a week ago, three racks (standard Costco cryopak) of St.L spares had meat over the side hot zones on the WSM22. Seems like there would be to much heat on the ends of the racks. Really love ribs but it is a learning curve to get them right. Seems so much simpler to do butts and briskets. I can normally do those in my sleep.

Bob...
Suspect that once you take Harry's class, you'll find a whole bunch of room. ;)
(comp trimming allows for more 9 bone ribs on the grate.)

What about the Weber rib racks? Thoughts on them?

100% agreed. I used it once and it took longer to clean that it took the ribs to cook. Seriously. It's very sturdy (used it to cook 2 12# packers once, with a bit of modification), but total overkill for holding up ribs.

I got this one as gift and used it a couple times so far. It's basically a clone of the Brinkmann rack and works OK as long as your racks aren't too thick.

What about the Weber rib racks? Thoughts on them?

Weber used to make one that's very similar to the Brinkmann one, but with thinner gauge wire. Alton Brown used/recommended them on his SLC Rib episode. The new one that doubles as a roasting rack seems to have a bit too much space between the wires, but I haven't used it myself.

I'm with Jeff. Roll em with bamboo skewers. I used to use a rib rack, but they are such a pain to clean. I never spent any time cleaning a skewer. :)

Back