Reverse sear.

David WY

TVWBB Fan
Tried something different for me...2" Prime rib steak, spiced, on the kettle, indirect heat for 50 mins,pulled at 115, rested 15mins, garlic butter and spices added and then seared 4 mins a side. I may not do any other way again !

Woah! That is an impressive piece of meat! Looks like you did it justice, and treated it beautifully.

My butcher just smiles when I ask for this. They say with thick steak reverse sear is the way to go because it is just to hard to get it pink through out with searing first. I'm a believer now !

Fantastic cook David. That fourth photo is amazing, all your photos are amazing but that last one should be on a menu in a five star restaurant

Great looking steak and the photos are perfect. That's how I do our steaks now, reverse sears works great every time,

That is one righteous hunk of beef David. Great job on the reverse sear. I can almost hear it sizzling all the way down here in Louisiana...

Regards,

John

Porter House Reverse Sear

First reverse sear on the Performer. Very satisfied with the results. Rubbed the steaks with my homemade Cowboy Rub, one of my favorites (coffee & SPG) and let them sit in the fridge, tightly wrapped in cellophane most of the morning for an afternoon cook. As they were searing on the 2nd side, I hit the steaks with garlic, butter and a touch of salt. Hence, the garlic on the steaks in the photo.

Cooked the steaks for about one hour at an average pit temp of 260F, brought the internal temp up to 123F using pecan wood. Took the steaks off and added lump charcoal to the briquettes. I was very surprised how little time it took to fire up the pit to 500F, leaving the fire bricks in place. I seared each of the steaks, 2-minutes per side, pulled them off and ate them.

The steaks were medium rare and very very tender, even the strip side. The wife likes her steaks done a touch more, but she did not complain about these steaks. They were delicious. One of the things I noticed right off, the meat separated from the T-bone very easily. Next time I do this, I might bring the steaks up to about 126F. I can't wait to try this on a London Broil or some filets. Next time I do Porter House steaks, I'll try to get them a little thicker.

Last edited:

Back