Restoration Projects. 1992 Genesis 1 and Late '80's Genesis 2

Nice looking project. Love the stainless. That makes it like the frame on my Wolf. Solid 300 series welded SS

Started mocking up some parts. Nice thing about the 10 Gauge frame is that you can tap and thread instead of through bolting.
I tapped and threaded for the front apron trim piece, the hardware for the left side flip up table and the propane tank holder. I also slid the side burner in there, complete with remnants of mouse nest. Truthfully, I never use the side burner, and I'm trying to decide if I should just put the shelf there instead. The problem is that I found the left side flip up table for this grill down in the dungeon after I installed the newer sliding mechanism for the flip up table. Wait for the pic, but this Frankengrill must have been one of the first iterations of the Genesis line, and older than my Dad's grill. I think I'll install the side burner just to keep it kind of original, and since the cover is stainless, I can drop my BBQ tools on it when grilling. I find it to be an inconvenience to try to hang the tools from those hooks.

uBRG1YZ.jpg

Here is the very early design of the flip up table. Frankengrill on left, '92 grill on right. Those cross pieces were attached with staples. They were also longer than the later surfaces, they reached down to the lower shelf when dropped down. Notice how the strut rod only supported the one slat. Once the staples worked loose, which was a certain eventuality with the design having no provisions to prevent the surface from racking out of square, you had problems. I would like to use this old hardware to maybe make a right side flip up table. I have to think about it...

GMr3dGA.jpg

I think it's pretty cool to have two of these old timers. The problem is that they lose their identity if you upgrade them during restoration. Well, I guess they are only grills, and not vintage Ferraris

Gerry

Last edited:
I'm jealous of the frame too. That frame and a vintage weber firebox, lid, etc is to me the perfect grill.

I don't think I would paint it either.

I guess I am a contrarian. I am jealous of the stainless, too, although I am currently working on a Genesis Platinum that has that. My vote for this historic grill would be to paint the frame black. On a custom, non-historic grill I do think the stainless could make for a cool look:cool:!

Thank you for the picture of the old style flip table. I am very surprised that it is so long. I wouldn’t have guessed that, but I will take into account if I can do my own early Genesis.

Last edited:
This is like a Weber history lesson, some much has changed over the years.

Yah, I learn something new about Weber grills every day due to this forum.

Kids, settle down and take your seats. History class is back in session...:) You in the back, don't even think about throwing that paper airplane!

Been working on the grill a bit more. I have the swing up table done and attached. Notice how the rod is flattened and slid into that slotted end bracket. If you look back at dad's, you'll notice there is just a hole in the end bracket, no slot and the rod has a plastic protector on it. The '92 used a plastic bracket that slid into the end of the frame rail.
UQ4A6J7.jpg

The next three pics are of the side burner and manifold that came with this grill. I think it's as old as the grill because it has a black knob. It needs work and I'm probably not going to install it. I never used it, and it was a good place for mice to hide. They ate the insulation off the igniter wire, but it still works. I'll keep the parts in case I want to install it in the future.

B2f2ry3.jpg

j9PypxV.jpg

eIrDAYE.jpg

The next two pics are of another mock up with the firebox painted and the swing up table installed. I used Teak oil on the Ipe. That's unfinished Ipe under the can. I've got Rcplanebuyer working on sending me grates, Flavorizer bars and Z brackets. Once I get the Z brackets, I can cut and finish the rest of the wood.

679eYbN.jpg

PvEanvo.jpg

So far, I am really liking the look of the unpainted stainless frame. Plus, no worries about paint chipping and fading.

That's it for now.
Class Dismissed!!!

Have a Happy and Safe New Year!!
Cheers,
Gerry

Last edited:
Gerry:
Great class. Did I tell you that frame makes me jealous. Are you going to put a shelf in where the burner used to be? Oh, and what is Ipe?

If you don't mind, can you let us know how much you have into that grill when it is completed? I am curious to what such an extensive restore would cost when all is said and done.

Oh, also, what do you have in mind for the handle?

Gerry:
Great class. Did I tell you that frame makes me jealous. Are you going to put a shelf in where the burner used to be? Oh, and what is Ipe?

If you don't mind, can you let us know how much you have into that grill when it is completed? I am curious to what such an extensive restore would cost when all is said and done.

Oh, also, what do you have in mind for the handle?

Bruce,

Yes, word on the street is that you like the frame! Yes, I will just put another shelf there instead of the burner. Ipe, (Rhymes with eBay) is a South American hardwood that is dense as heck. Also called Ironwood or Brazilian Mahogany. It is imported up here for use in outdoor decks. We used it on our deck, and it should last much longer than any other wood or composite (Trex) decking material.

Cost? well, I got the stainless and welding labor for free. Actually, I'm going to have to buy lunch a few times. I think I saw the price for the stainless for two grills and it was about $500. Rcplanebuyer is getting around $400 for two grills worth of grates, F bars and Z bars. The Ipe I had laying around, but it's not cheap. I don't know what it goes for anymore. Then there's paint and hardware that always ends up being more expensive than you think. All told, it probably would be knocking hard at $600 per grill I suppose. But I think it would be better than spending that money on something new nowadays. These grills worked for 30 years with no real maintenance, and they should outlast me when I'm done. None of those new ones will do that!

Oh, the handle. I have two original handles in good shape, but I don't think I can stain them to match the Ipe, so I'm going to try to replicate the originals out of Ipe. See, there's another added cost for router bits...

Gerry

Gerry, while your prices are up there close to what a new Genesis would cost, you, IMO, have a much better grill that will probably still be around and in great shape when this century is half over. I would consider adding a rotisserie to at least one of those babies. The Onegrill brand has that nice shiny stainless motor one that would go good with the frame.

Gerry, while your prices are up there close to what a new Genesis would cost, you, IMO, have a much better grill that will probably still be around and in great shape when this century is half over. I would consider adding a rotisserie to at least one of those babies. The Onegrill brand has that nice shiny stainless motor one that would go good with the frame.

Thanks, But I'm good in the rotisserie dept. :)

7IozaQb.jpg

Cheers!
Gerry

Last edited:
Great idea with the stainless steel frame. This grill is now basically bullet proof and can be handed down to future generations... :D
I cannibalized a Platinum frame and combined it with parts from various other grills such as Silver, Gold and 1000. Originally I wanted to go with wood as well but this grill is my work horse and it needs to be practical and easy to clean with low maintenance. So I stayed with the thermoset tables. When I come across another cheap Platinum I still might pick up that idea of a SS frame with wooden shelves.

Got the Z bars, Flavorizer bars and grates from Dave Santana, so it was time to get the wood work done. It's Ipe finished with Teak Oil. Still have to work on that fuel level scale, but I'm pretty much done with the Frankengrill:

gqCHm4h.jpg

O8CvKHw.jpg

oJDZvSm.jpg

1NEa5GM.jpg

I threaded the legs so I could use allen head bolts for wheel axles instead of the rod. Jam nuts lock them in place.

ADrFGJc.jpg

Dave's Z bars are a bit longer underneath the wood. This will work well with dad's grill. I plan on refinishing the original slats and I can install the screws into new wood instead of the old holes. There's the fuel level indicator that needs repainting. I will try to paint the markings on it.

UiPtieA.jpg

Dave's grates and flavorizer bars. Nice and heavy. Top shelf items!

0xa6AkE.jpg

Later, I'll drag it out to the back deck and take some pics with it next to dad's grill.

Cheers!
Gerry

Last edited:
Simply awesome job. That frame is nice. The would is beautiful and the workmanship is great. There is only one thing I would change and that is to put locking caster wheels on the left side. I know the older Genesis 1, 2, 3, etc... didn't come with them, but it makes the portability and maneauverability really good. Of course, those could be added at any time as well. Just shorten the legs and add the wheels with inserts.

I can't help thinking all that beautiful shiny stainless would looks great against a Blue hood too. But all in all, that is a thing of beauty as it sits.
Congrats.

Simply awesome job. That frame is nice. The would is beautiful and the workmanship is great. There is only one thing I would change and that is to put locking caster wheels on the left side. I know the older Genesis 1, 2, 3, etc... didn't come with them, but it makes the portability and maneauverability really good. Of course, those could be added at any time as well. Just shorten the legs and add the wheels with inserts.

I can't help thinking all that beautiful shiny stainless would looks great against a Blue hood too. But all in all, that is a thing of beauty as it sits.
Congrats.

These grills will pretty much stay in one spot once located. No real need to move them. Also, the caster kit may not fit because the square tubing has a thicker wall. I had to do some trimming of the end caps I put in the bottom of the legs.

I don't think I have enough Ipe to do the other grill, but the wood on that one is in good shape. I may sand and refinish those slats.
What finish would best replicate the original redwood look of the original finish?

Thanks,
Gerry

Back