TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
The screw held a small metal collar that held the little ceramic in place. ON my old grill I converted it to the newer style with some careful filing and drilling since the old style cannot be had anymore
Time for a small update.
I found another old Genesis that I picked up yesterday. I wanted the wheels, black knobs and the control panel. The wheels and knobs were OK, but sadly the control panel has some damage. I took it apart and installed the wheels on the second frame we got welded up. I already upgraded the assembly by using stainless acorn nuts instead of the jam nuts. I think it dresses it up a bit:
This grill frame did have the fuel gauge, and it is in better shape than the other two. I started work on one, but it needs to be sanded and repainted. I need a flat surface because I plan on putting down some tape and cutting out the letters and lines. I will then paint them and I don't want the paint to bleed under the tape.
It might be easier to design a decal for that gauge similar to what Weber actually did.
Maybe, but I was thinking I could lay down some electrical tape or something similar and with an exacto knife, cut out the letters and hash marks. Then white paint and pull the tape.
I have to wait until after the cold weather though. I had to clean up the work space to get the vehicle in the garage.
There was a member here who did gorgeous work on making replica labels. I feel terrible but can't remember his name. If someone here can recall, could you let us know?
I bet he would be willing to help you make a perfect copy if you could just send him some pictures and measurements. I feel doubly bad because I had my local printer make some fairly nice, hopefully water resistant printed versions from his work, and I really wanted to send him some as a thank you.
Anybody able to help?
I guess I figure that the original was a decal, so an authentic reproduction would be to make a decal. The issue is, like you mention, whether the quality is high enough so that it doesn't run after the first rain.
My "The Judge" decal on my little Sunbeam did even though I tried to "coat" it with some clear spray. The ones my printer friend made for me based on Joel's work are supposed to be OK if a little wet. They seem decent. Time will tell, I guess. For my Sunbeam I found a real "The Judge" decal on eBay for a few dollars and had enough "eBay Bucks" to get it for 3 cents!
These are not going to be numbers matching restorations. I'm going do what I can to make them look like the way they came from the factory, but there might be some changes.