Restoration Projects. 1992 Genesis 1 and Late '80's Genesis 2

The screw held a small metal collar that held the little ceramic in place. ON my old grill I converted it to the newer style with some careful filing and drilling since the old style cannot be had anymore

HOLY GRAIL!! looks like a 85 or 86 GEN 2...check out some of my posts..i've had/restored numerous of those...GREAT find!!!!

Time for a small update.

I found another old Genesis that I picked up yesterday. I wanted the wheels, black knobs and the control panel. The wheels and knobs were OK, but sadly the control panel has some damage. I took it apart and installed the wheels on the second frame we got welded up. I already upgraded the assembly by using stainless acorn nuts instead of the jam nuts. I think it dresses it up a bit:

This grill frame did have the fuel gauge, and it is in better shape than the other two. I started work on one, but it needs to be sanded and repainted. I need a flat surface because I plan on putting down some tape and cutting out the letters and lines. I will then paint them and I don't want the paint to bleed under the tape.
mMo4Ir2.jpg
[/IMG]

Gerry

Gerry,

It might be easier to design a decal for that gauge similar to what Weber actually did.

Gerry,

It might be easier to design a decal for that gauge similar to what Weber actually did.

Maybe, but I was thinking I could lay down some electrical tape or something similar and with an exacto knife, cut out the letters and hash marks. Then white paint and pull the tape.

I have to wait until after the cold weather though. I had to clean up the work space to get the vehicle in the garage.

Gerry

Maybe, but I was thinking I could lay down some electrical tape or something similar and with an exacto knife, cut out the letters and hash marks. Then white paint and pull the tape.

I have to wait until after the cold weather though. I had to clean up the work space to get the vehicle in the garage.

Gerry

There was a member here who did gorgeous work on making replica labels. I feel terrible but can't remember his name. If someone here can recall, could you let us know?

I bet he would be willing to help you make a perfect copy if you could just send him some pictures and measurements. I feel doubly bad because I had my local printer make some fairly nice, hopefully water resistant printed versions from his work, and I really wanted to send him some as a thank you.

Anybody able to help?

There was a member here who did gorgeous work on making replica labels. I feel terrible but can't remember his name. If someone here can recall, could you let us know?

I bet he would be willing to help you make a perfect copy if you could just send him some pictures and measurements. I feel doubly bad because I had my local printer make some fairly nice, hopefully water resistant printed versions from his work, and I really wanted to send him some as a thank you.

Anybody able to help?

That was the guy that started the "Diamondplate edition" restoration. Joel Young. https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?75...00-quot-Diamondplate-Edition-quot-Restoration

I'd rather have paint than the decal though, unless I could get a nice decal....

Gerry

ETA: You beat me to it. That was a good thread. Maybe I'll see if he is still watching..
Been over a month since his last activity...

Last edited:
I guess I figure that the original was a decal, so an authentic reproduction would be to make a decal. The issue is, like you mention, whether the quality is high enough so that it doesn't run after the first rain.

My "The Judge" decal on my little Sunbeam did even though I tried to "coat" it with some clear spray. The ones my printer friend made for me based on Joel's work are supposed to be OK if a little wet. They seem decent. Time will tell, I guess. For my Sunbeam I found a real "The Judge" decal on eBay for a few dollars and had enough "eBay Bucks" to get it for 3 cents;)!

I guess I figure that the original was a decal, so an authentic reproduction would be to make a decal. The issue is, like you mention, whether the quality is high enough so that it doesn't run after the first rain.

My "The Judge" decal on my little Sunbeam did even though I tried to "coat" it with some clear spray. The ones my printer friend made for me based on Joel's work are supposed to be OK if a little wet. They seem decent. Time will tell, I guess. For my Sunbeam I found a real "The Judge" decal on eBay for a few dollars and had enough "eBay Bucks" to get it for 3 cents;)!

While it's true that for an authentic reproduction the decal would be called for, but I think the "authentic reproduction" went out the window with the stainless steel frames.
I just want it to last with minimum maintenance...but using the old original parts to maintain its identity

Gerry

Last edited:
Gerry,

Your idea makes sense since you are kind of blending very old with custom. I have parts for an early Genesis that I want to restore, too. I am hoping Joel will respond to my PM. If so, maybe you could help us out with a clear picture with a tape measure in it to give him accurate measurements.

Here's the pics of the fuel gauge:

OKgtSDY.jpg

2rth89b.jpg

ZGPzAN1.jpg

The pics are a bit deceiving. The decal is actually exactly 4" long.

Gerry

Last edited:
Gerry,

Thanks so much! I haven't heard back from Joel, but hoping he will check in at some point. Meanwhile, maybe I can experiment a little myself. It is actually a simpler decal to replicate than the gauge decal that followed it.

I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing with us!

Yeah, I tried giving him a pm too.
But, you're welcome. It's been kind of fun documenting these old grills!

Gerry

These are not going to be numbers matching restorations. I'm going do what I can to make them look like the way they came from the factory, but there might be some changes.

Other than the serial number, are there any other numbers on a Weber grill that can be used to ID a matched set?

Well, it is not like a classic car. However, the hood end caps and the firebox do have small mold marks with the month and date of manufacture. However, even on an all original grill, they may not be exactly the same as I imagine they were cast and put into a pile to draw from as they were manufactured. So a couple months difference wouldn’t necessarily prove anything. But if you found a firebox years removed from the end caps, then you could be sure something was replaced along the line.

If you are striving for authenticity, I think the main things are to determine what year you are aiming for and make sure you use wheels, tables, control panels, knobs, etc. from that year. Some of the really early parts are now almost impossible to find.

However, the hood end caps and the firebox do have small mold marks with the month and date of manufacture.

Interesting, I didn’t know this. Are there any resources online that show where the mold marks are or what they look like?

Interesting, I didn’t know this. Are there any resources online that show where the mold marks are or what they look like?

On the Genesis 1xxx -5xxx, they are located here:

Attachments

• Cookbox Bottom Casting Date.png
    Cookbox Bottom Casting Date.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • End Cap Casting Date.png
    End Cap Casting Date.png
    1 MB · Views: 12

Back