Restaurant Depot Requiring Purchase Every 40 Days

Mache

TVWBB Fan
I was in Restaurant Depot in San Jose, CA today and was told that if I did not purchase something from them at least every 40 days my membership would be canceled. The folks at the store told me that it was not up to them but this was a new chain-wide policy enforced from their headquarters in New York. As I only purchase for myself, it would be a stretch to find a reason to drive there and purchase something every 40 days. I guess I will be losing my membership. Better go and get that prime grade packer brisket while I still can.

Has anyone else heard about this?

-- Mache

That's an old kelly more paint store trick, it's a scum move, boycott scum companys and give them bad reviews on any and all social media

I believe, if you look back at past postings, the San Jose store has been more troublesome than most.

While I may not agree with the philosophy, I can certainly understand it if their business model is to be a high volume commercial supplier. I imagine the bean counters (no pun intended) have determined that someone buying $40 to $50 every several months may be costing them more than they make on the sale. There are many commercial suppliers who will not sell to anyone who does not have a commercial business license or tax ID.

On the other hand, it's a reason to make a purchase and fire the WSM up every month.

Here in CO at least the membership is free with your sales tax license (annual), so I'm not sure how this policy would work here.

I spoke to Restaurant Depot's California, Southwest & Northwest regional office in Anaheim, CA and was told that this policy absolutely untrue. I told told them that a cashier told me this and it was corroborated by a store staffer. I suggested that if two people in the store are advertising this policy, forcing me to look to take my business elsewhere, and the policy is not true, then they have a big problem with the management at that store. The regional office agreed, thanked me for my call, and promised that they would be speaking to the manager at San Jose to clear this up.

Seems to be a bit of dysfunction at Restaurant Depot.

-- Mache

A couple of years ago, I went to the San Jose RD asking for a membership and brought along a copy of my commercial business license. When they learned that I was not in food service but was an occasional shopper buying one or two pieces of meat at a time, they would not give me a membership and gave me a day pass instead. On subsequent visits, I've used my KCBS membership at RD without any problem.

Places that turn down good business lose customers to businesses that care about their business. I would bet that the rogue
employees will learn to work within company policy or be replaced by people that really want a job. A lot of shopping selection
is made by how the vendor makes the customer feel. Just that simple.

I am not a business owner and I already have membership at Sam's Club and Costco.
Is adding a KCBS membership worth it to shop at RD ?

Thank god for my HEB...i will put my local HEB's meat selection up against any other store in the USA...HEB meat at least in my area is that good. There select is better than most choice, there choice is better than most prime and there prime selection is heaven.

I am not a business owner and I already have membership at Sam's Club and Costco.
Is adding a KCBS membership worth it to shop at RD ?

I guess it depends on what other options are available to you. Living in Dallas, I would expect that there would be several other options.

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, finding a quality choice packer brisket at a reasonable price can be a challenge. Finding a prime packer brisket at a reasonable price is even more elusive. At the San Jose, CA RD, they sell prime packer briskets at around $4 per pound which for me is a very competitive price.

A KCBS membership will certainly give you access to RD, only you can answer if it is worth your while.

-- Mache

Here in Charlotte, N.C and even Fort Mill S.C. we have a place called Chef's Store owned by U.S. Foods, no membership or minimal purchase required, I've been told by people who have been to both RD and chef's Store that they are almost exactly alike but as we all know RD isn't open to the public so do a search and see if there is one close to you, I understand they are growing.

We only have Sam's Club around here although I could drive to Dallas every now and then. I'd love to cook some prime or CAB briskets. I'm sure there are plenty people on this forum that would cut off their left arm to get choice or even just select packers.

Back