Request: Simple Tacos... Yeah, I don't know what that means.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
Last Sunday my aunt asked for simple tacos for Sunday night dinner this week. My kids and wife laugh with the wifey saying, "Michael doesn't do simple tacos on the weekend." But as you guys know that tacos are my favorite to make and eat so I loved the request!
I started last night while my older two were at the homecoming dance, both went with friend groups, but they let me get this amazing shot.
IMG_20221008_181326~2.jpg

To make this simple dinner I needed just a few on my favorite recipes.
IMG_20221008_211522.jpg
IMG_20221008_204350.jpg

That red recipe book is viewed as a fun story in our house. It was a gift from my mom on our wedding day, expect it was only to me not my wife. Well I throw out the dedicated to me only page and we have filled it up with recipes from the kids, rainbows that says I love pancakes, a recipe card in my late sister in laws writing and so many memories.
Ok now to the cooking, I started by making the overnight marinade for the pork and chickens. My bird likes to hang out with me while I prep in the evenings, she was very interested in how much chili powder was going in there.
IMG_20221008_202201.jpg

Next, I went to work on a " boneless picnic roast, wrapped and netted" it was a 5 lbs roast for $8! It was not the prettiest piece of meat I have even had, but after a good bit of knife work, I got it to this point.
IMG_20221008_203804.jpg
IMG_20221008_204110.jpg

Prepped the chickens.
IMG_20221008_225123.jpg

Then went to work on the salsa verde.
IMG_20221008_225242.jpg

This morning the Webers got involved. The pork went on for a 3 hour smoke before in went in pot with the peppers, garlic, onion, lime, some other stuff, back on the kettle for another four hours. I followed the Carnitas recipe @Rich G and I worked on together last year. I thought it was the perfect recipe to make while I watch Arsenal stay at the top of the EPL!
IMG_20221009_095116.jpg
IMG_20221009_123317.jpg
IMG_20221009_154646.jpg

As the pork was almost done the second kettle got started to get some chickens spinning.
IMG_20221009_161056.jpg

Pulled the pork.
IMG_20221009_172113.jpg

Then the chickens.
IMG_20221009_170619.jpg

Pork went in CI, with the fat and liquid from the cook, chicken went in a skillet with tinga sauce.
Black beans that soaked over night and tomato rice.
IMG_20221009_180819.jpg

I had 4 tacos, 3 pork, 1 chicken. That Carnitas recipe is one of the best.
IMG_20221009_181539.jpg
Thanks for taking a long journey for a simple Taco!

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_095116.jpg
    IMG_20221009_095116.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221009_172113.jpg
    IMG_20221009_172113.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221009_170619.jpg
    IMG_20221009_170619.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20221009_180819.jpg
    IMG_20221009_180819.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8
Love those mexican flavors - you covered a lot of ground with the sides too! Smoking then brazing the pork is next level. I haven't tried that yet. Could be a good plan for a chuck roast too.

Dinner looks remarkable! Kids are way too good looking for old farts like you and I! Beautiful evening for you all.
lately I’ve been cheating and getting “prefab” arracherra from Costco and doing more carne asada tacos (or burritos) for some of the Saturday family dinner feasts, use up some leftover chicken, knock out some frijole refritos with “regular” toppings.takes fifteen minutes, if I do the beans early, big hit!
I really need to get out more!

Have you posted this anywhere? I looked around a bit and was hoping to find it. Mind sharing?
Andy,
Check out this post from @Rich G. He organized some of our cooks of this recipe. This time I added a few more (and different) dried Chiles to bring up the heat. It worked perfectly! Also this time no Orange, just half a lime, wifey does not like citrus in savory dishes and a spoonful of lard because I had it out to make tortillas. Please let me know if this does not work or if you have more questions. This is one of the best recipes I have ever made!

Andy,
Check out this post from @Rich G. He organized some of our cooks of this recipe. This time I added a few more (and different) dried Chiles to bring up the heat. It worked perfectly! Also this time no Orange, just half a lime, wifey does not like citrus in savory dishes and a spoonful of lard because I had it out to make tortillas. Please let me know if this does not work or if you have more questions. This is one of the best recipes I have ever made!
Certainly one I need to try. Tacos are one of my favorite, if not favorite foods. You are a taco master!

Last Sunday my aunt asked for simple tacos for Sunday night dinner this week. My kids and wife laugh with the wifey saying, "Michael doesn't do simple tacos on the weekend." But as you guys know that tacos are my favorite to make and eat so I loved the request!
I started last night while my older two were at the homecoming dance, both went with friend groups, but they let me get this amazing shot.
View attachment 60891

To make this simple dinner I needed just a few on my favorite recipes.
View attachment 60897
View attachment 60898

That red recipe book is viewed as a fun story in our house. It was a gift from my mom on our wedding day, expect it was only to me not my wife. Well I throw out the dedicated to me only page and we have filled it up with recipes from the kids, rainbows that says I love pancakes, a recipe card in my late sister in laws writing and so many memories.
Ok now to the cooking, I started by making the overnight marinade for the pork and chickens. My bird likes to hang out with me while I prep in the evenings, she was very interested in how much chili powder was going in there.
View attachment 60893

Next, I went to work on a " boneless picnic roast, wrapped and netted" it was a 5 lbs roast for $8! It was not the prettiest piece of meat I have even had, but after a good bit of knife work, I got it to this point.
View attachment 60894
View attachment 60895

Prepped the chickens.
View attachment 60899

Then went to work on the salsa verde.
View attachment 60900

This morning the Webers got involved. The pork went on for a 3 hour smoke before in went in pot with the peppers, garlic, onion, lime, some other stuff, back on the kettle for another four hours. I followed the Carnitas recipe @Rich G and I worked on together last year. I thought it was the perfect recipe to make while I watch Arsenal stay at the top of the EPL!
View attachment 60902
View attachment 60903
View attachment 60904

As the pork was almost done the second kettle got started to get some chickens spinning.
View attachment 60906

Pulled the pork.
View attachment 60907

Then the chickens.
View attachment 60911

Pork went in CI, with the fat and liquid from the cook, chicken went in a skillet with tinga sauce.
Black beans that soaked over night and tomato rice.
View attachment 60912
Nice tacos!

Andy,
Not exactly “simple” but, with the right equipment, not too difficult.
Sure looks great to me!!

Back